Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's World Cup - are you now a fan?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry, never really hit the spot. Just looked like park football. Tho there's definitely a decent living to be made in the professional game for the the first women's keeper who isn't visibly pitifully awful.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm a fan of all English teams regardless of sport or gender, I just want to see England win and I'd rather see a women's team win a global event rather than watch a men's team lose one.

I enjoyed it, and I was genuinely gutted when England lost to USA, but no, unless they reach a final or something I won't be attending any Brighton women's games - although I'll probably watch if they're on TV. That isn't really a criticism of women's football; I'm also not planning on attending any Brighton U23 or Youth games either.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am only interested in a small number of sports, and along with other interests, that's enough for me - I've only got one life to fill!

Consequently there's a long list of sports in which I have no interest, of which women's football is just one, along with any sort of 'football' played with an oval all (by either sex), golf and tennis (likewise regardless of gender), baseball, basketball, netball, cycling (as a sport), wrestling .............. etc, etc.

So, in response to the OP, a polite 'no' from me.

boik

Erm, the World Champions spent their entire tournament doing two things: talking about Trump or talking about the game as a direct comparison to the mens and wanting women in football to be paid the same amount as men in football. Why is it ok for them to base their entire tournament interviews around comparing themselves to the mens game but when spectators do it's not allowed?

I must have missed the interviews where they said they were as good as the men.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'm a fan of all English teams regardless of sport or gender

I think that many folk feel like this.

Remember when 8m (or whatever it was) watched the GB team win a gold medal in curling - at some ungodly hour - and we all signed up for our local curling clubs? No.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think that many folk feel like this.

Remember when 8m (or whatever it was) watched the GB team win a gold medal in curling - at some ungodly hour - and we all signed up for our local curling clubs? No.

Ditto hockey in the 1988 (I think) Olympics. I watched every minute of that - and then I don't think I watched a hockey match again until 2016 when GB again won Gold. (Women this time).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My point is. We’re being told it’s outstanding football. When in reality. It isn’t. I enjoyed partz of the World Cup. But right now wouldn’t pay to go to a female game.

It's surely in the context of the women's game and the quality of football in their leagues that you can go on to say the football on show in a tournament is outstanding? You cannot really be suggesting it has to be in context with the men's game?

It's a bit like Wimbledon at present, you don't watch women's games expecting them to be up to the men's standard, they are games of tennis with quality in their own right.

I found some of the women's games a bit boring and had better things to do, but I really don't have an issue with it being considered an outstanding level of football - for the women's game. :thumbsup:

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
It's surely in the context of the women's game and the quality of football in their leagues that you can go on to say the football on show in a tournament is outstanding? You cannot really be suggesting it has to be in context with the men's game?

It's a bit like Wimbledon at present, you don't watch women's games expecting them to be up to the men's standard, they are games of tennis with quality in their own right.

I found some of the women's games a bit boring and had better things to do, but I really don't have an issue with it being considered an outstanding level of football - for the women's game. :thumbsup:

I look at the Wimbledon woman’s matches. And I’d get destroyed by them. I look at the woman’s wold cup and think. I play better football than this.

So no. Your point is silly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I look at the Wimbledon woman’s matches. And I’d get destroyed by them. I look at the woman’s wold cup and think. I play better football than this.

So no. Your point is silly

No, no you don't. Otherwise you would be a professional footballer. Their standard has improved massively.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
No, no you don't. Otherwise you would be a professional footballer. Their standard has improved massively.

Their standard may have improved. Doesn’t mean it’s world class. That Lucy bronze goal where everyone was raving about it. Most keepers would have caught or punched away.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wouldn't go as far as saying I'm a "fan" now, but on the whole, I enjoyed the WWC. The standard has noticeably improved IMO, the passing, movement, build-up and passages of play is more akin to the mens game now than it had been in the past, and the goalkeeping has certainly improved (that dutch keeper yesterday was excellent). You'll still see the odd howler, but then you'll see mistakes in the mens game as well.

I'd appreciate the media love-in being toned down a bit now though. The BBC and Guardian sports websites in particular have been saturated with it. I appreciate a World Cup was on, but not everybody is interested in it to the point of wanting to devour endless prominent articles and features on it.

The WSL / club level holds zero interest for me, so it'll just drop off my radar again now for the next 2 years, till we host the Euros. Christ, if we thought the media coverage this summer reached saturation point, just wait till 2021...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here