Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gus Poyet to Swansea City is the word, how good is he?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
He's the Leon Knight of football management.

Great in his first season, then his ego and attitude take over as he becomes convinced of his own brilliance. He then gets sacked or/and falls out with every club he subsequently goes to, never realises his full potential, but instead becomes a surly journeyman who's p****d his talent away.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Only thing I give Poyet credit for is teaching El Abd and T. Elphick to at least attempt to play the ball on ground and undo an entire prior coaching lifetime of Clear Yer Lines Hoofball. Like teaching toddlers to walk. Tho the end result was a prolonged to-you-Tommy, to-you-Adam period of play followed by the inevitable pass back to Ankergren who would then do the hoofball so they didnt have to. It was comically peurile to watch. And lost all respect for Poyet very earlydoors. We get a penalty at Withdean. Does the manager in his first senior position watch the penalty being taken and maybe learn something useful that might just give him that edge somewhere further down the line? Nope. Clown just turns his back to the field of play and stands behind the dugout mugging to the South Stand. Should have been slapped down with a club disciplinary first time he did it. Instead he and his ridiculous ego were shamefully over-indulged. ****

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Only thing I give Poyet credit for is teaching El Abd and T. Elphick to at least attempt to play the ball on ground and undo an entire prior coaching lifetime of Clear Yer Lines Hoofball. Like teaching toddlers to walk. Tho the end result was a prolonged to-you-Tommy, to-you-Adam period of play followed by the inevitable pass back to Ankergren who would then do the hoofball so they didnt have to. It was comically peurile to watch. And lost all respect for Poyet very earlydoors. We get a penalty at Withdean. Does the manager in his first senior position watch the penalty being taken and maybe learn something useful that might just give him that edge somewhere further down the line? Nope. Clown just turns his back to the field of play and stands behind the dugout mugging to the South Stand. Should have been slapped down with a club disciplinary first time he did it. Instead he and his ridiculous ego were shamefully over-indulged. ****

Harsh. Poyet did a lot for this club in its transition from tinpot league one relegation outfit to championship play off contenders.

I’m not saying he was perfect. But the Gus Bus(tm) got everyone pulling in the same direction and it was just what we needed at the time.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Harsh. Poyet did a lot for this club in its transition from tinpot league one relegation outfit to championship play off contenders.

I’m not saying he was perfect. But the Gus Bus(tm) got everyone pulling in the same direction and it was just what we needed at the time.

First Albion manager in yonks to have the purse strings loosened. Guess we'll never know whether that was some form of inbuilt Poyet know-how or whether the cards all fell in his favour and somebody else could have done the same with less drama. His subsequent car-crash of a managerial career provides a possible pointer tho eh?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Poyet started off well for us. His style is very effective against slower paced teams like the ones we destroyed in the 3rd tier. Under Poyet in league one, we dominated everyone with non-stop possession. We were able to make the opposition constantly chase a ball they never had a chance of catching. We really did dominate. But we did have Glenn Murray, Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes upfront in the 3rd tier, so it wasn't as if Poyet performed miracles with a bunch of nobodies. In total 7 of that team ended up having stints playing in the Prem for other teams. We also had Dunk just coming through. Times were good for us. With hindsight, you could argue Poyet got lucky having a team of players playing way below their deserved standard.

The Championship proved different. Poyet's massive ego got rid of Murray and replaced him with Ronan Keating. We were a different team without Murray. We looked clueless upfront whilst our best striker (Ashley Barnes) took all the blame. The big problem was Poyet's style against stronger, faster teams comes with a lot of risks, and thats where he couldn't take us up a level once we were in the 2nd tier. Teams would close our defence down quickly looking for the early goal knowing if they go one goal up, they're most probably going to win. This was because our defence would pass back and forth to each other, sharing around 42,000 passes a half, even when we were in desperate need of getting a goal.
Poyet's style became too predictable and not very successful whenever the chips were down.

Poyet did get us to the Championship Playoffs when we faced Palace, but that game really epitomised everything wrong about Poyet's managerial ability. We were losing, our whole season was resting on this game and yet the team just passed it around, playing no differently to how you would when you're winning a game in just keeping hold of the ball until the final whistle came. It was the most frustrating performance I've ever witnessed watching The albion. Poyet's predictable, backwards passing style was the big loss in that game. It was utterly shite

So after that dreadful, humiliating performance, Poyet then goes onto the pitch to to tell the camera that this is as good as it gets. What's worse is this wasn't anything unusual for us albion fans. He'd already gone pretty much awol earlier that season when it looked like he'd joined Reading just as we were nearing the final hurdle whilst looking strong in a playoff position. Then came the threats of leaving for a bigger club, bragging how he can just go and play golf instead of caring about certain albion matters, and then finally the TV sulk he pulled off straight after the Palace playoff loss.
Eventually/Obviously he gets sacked. The next we see of Poyet is him on a football show where they bring up the topic of his sacking. No surprise, Poyet, being the massive belled he is, pretends to look shocked, claiming it was the first he'd heard of it? What a knob.

So not only can Poyet's style be very dull and easy to suss out for fast paced opposition, he's also every chairmans nightmare.

It most probably won't go well.

Great post. A huge contrast in our football up to May 2011, from the first two Amex seasons.

More powerful and pacey opponents, with better opposing managers, so often negated our previous strengths. Leaving those passing triangles amongst our back 3.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

Once Bloom came in, we were no longer tinpot. Bloom came before Poyet. It was Slade who stopped us from relegation. His poor start to the following season is why Bloom got rid of Slade and decided to appoint Poyet. We had high expectations and Bloom had splashed some cash on new signings i.e. Elliot Bennett. Poyet walked into a team who were massively underachieving. This 'Poyet turned our club around' is a massive exaggeration. it's very similar to when we claim CH took us from near relegation to promotion to the Prem which again isn't quite true.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Once Bloom came in, we were no longer tinpot. Bloom came before Poyet. It was Slade who stopped us from relegation. His poor start to the following season is why Bloom got rid of Slade and decided to appoint Poyet. We had high expectations and Bloom had splashed some cash on new signings i.e. Elliot Bennett. Poyet walked into a team who were massively underachieving. This 'Poyet turned our club around is way over the top' it's very similar to when we claim CH took us from near relegation to promotion to the Prem which again isn't quite true.

Exactly. Bloom and Slade delivered many of the quality players, who thrived for the Albion and went on to bigger things.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Exactly. Bloom and Slade delivered many of the quality players, who thrived for the Albion and went on to bigger things.

Potter may well benefit from the players currently here then? Different approach just like Poyet and CH brought about when they took over

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Potter may well benefit from the players currently here then? Different approach just like Poyet and CH brought about when they took over

I hope so.

But up at elite PL level, our snails pace football with Propper and Gross, simply doesn’t cut it against athletic opponents and savvy opposing managers.

So in the same way that TB brought in Calderon, Orlando, Lopez, Buckley, Bruno and Bridge for Championship football, TB will have to spend this summer to get 3 or 4 far better first-teamers in.

albionite

May 20, 2009
I see Swansea have appointed Steve cooper as their new manager from England's u17s.

Hidden gem(won u17 world cup) or a cheap option to replace Potter.
Interesting gamble either way.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I see Swansea have appointed Steve cooper as their new manager from England's u17s.

Hidden gem(won u17 world cup) or a cheap option to replace Potter.
Interesting gamble either way.

Makes sense as they will more than likely have to rely on ‘youth’ again next season

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I’d like to see Poyet back in English football (or Wales).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s the Chelsea job or no job for Poyet, as he knows he’s amazing.

If I were a Chelsea fan I’d prefer him over Lampard.

Probably end up at Reading at the second time of asking though

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If I were a Chelsea fan I’d prefer him over Lampard.

Probably end up at Reading at the second time of asking though

The job I think will come years too early for Lampard. He’ll be up against the far more experienced Guardiola, Klopp and Pochettino, and Chelsea no longer blow all the opposition away by being the only club with an owner prepared to bankroll a squad of world class players.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
The job I think will come years too early for Lampard. He’ll be up against the far more experienced Guardiola, Klopp and Pochettino, and Chelsea no longer blow all the opposition away by being the only club with an owner prepared to bankroll a squad of world class players.
Remember though he's got a years grace. They've just sold their best player and can't sign anyone, so the pressure is off a bit and they'll need to utilise the current squad inc the many youngsters out on loan...

I agree in normal circumstances it's too early but with the transfer ban it could be ideal for him.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here