Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Ratings - Burnley (H)

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I for one think we need to continue with Burn as left wing back because he is one of the few players who can cross the ball and therefore needs to be on the left. We just need to settle the team a bit now.

Murray needs to be playing central and let teh others do the running and get the ball to him, every time he chases the ball he is losing engergy which would be better spent on finishing.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I for one think we need to continue with Burn as left wing back because he is one of the few players who can cross the ball and therefore needs to be on the left.

Couldn’t disagree more :lolol: His delivery was awful. March and Bernardo way ahead of him for that role when everyone is fit. Left side of a three yes. Wing back no.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
If we graded the first 25 mins it would be 4 all round very poor but we improved after that so

Ryan 6
Webster 7
Duffy 7
Dunk7
Burn 6
Gross 6
Stephens 8 MOM
Propper 7.5
March 7
Maupay 7
Murray 6
Subs N/A

First 30 mins or so I thought I was watching a Sunday league game down the park
Shocking advert for supposedly the best league in the world :lol:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Couldn’t disagree more :lolol: His delivery was awful. March and Bernardo way ahead of him for that role when everyone is fit. Left side of a three yes. Wing back no.

Agree - no way a left wing back. Looked so unorthodox in that position! Really bizarre decision imo

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It’s an English football problem, one of the reasons we haven’t won the world cup for so long. Players who are good on the ball are never as appreciated as much as those who can ‘put it about’.

Even today I see it at the kids football though hopefully we are slowly turning it around.

Michael Carrick! He held his own in a very dominant Man Utd side and was regularly talked about by Ferguson and LVG as being vital to what they do yet had only a handful of England caps. What he did without steaming about like a headless chicken just didn't get noticed by the England set up and it baffles me

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ryan - 6 - little to do except pick the ball out of his net
Webster - 7.5 - so composed on the ball. Great positioning. Some great runs forward MOTM
Dunk - 7 - a few uncharacteristically wayward passes
Duffy - 7 - very solid
Burn - 5 - looked like a fish out of water today
March - 7 - great assist, neat and tidy but lacks conviction still
Stephens - 6 - great commitment, lost the ball a couple of times but did so deliberately to clean out Rodriguez :wink:
Propper - 6 - going through the motions
Murray - 6 - should have scored with the header. Not a lot went his way. Marked up for that cushioned shot in the first half. Faded badly.
Maupay - 7 - quiet first half, came alive after the goal. Beautifully taken goal
Gross - 5 - huffed and puffed but delivered little

Connolly - 6 - love his energy. He’s a complete menace
Mooy - 6
Bong n/a

A special mention for the poor fourth official who had to spend the entire game dealing with that horrible **** Sean Dyche.

I guess we all see things differently but IMHO Gross had a great game with a lot of the ball going through him. Pröpper has a good game as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has a few nice touches but has spent 2 and bit seasons flattering to deceive. Doesn’t try to win a header, ducks out of challenges and is utter toilet when attempting to score!

Jeez.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Has a few nice touches but has spent 2 and bit seasons flattering to deceive. Doesn’t try to win a header, ducks out of challenges and is utter toilet when attempting to score!

There was a clear ‘Ryan Harley moment’ today when Propper bottled out of a regulation 50:50, not even a high speed potential leg breaker.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I guess we all see things differently but IMHO Gross had a great game with a lot of the ball going through him. Pröpper has a good game as well.

Agreed, toss up for MoM between the pair . . . March played well too, but still frustrates. Which is the word of the day!

Everyone need the confidence to actually have a shot from 20 odd yards . . . . You never know what might happen ( Murray excluded)

Ryan 5
Defence 7
Stephens . . .largely missing from TV coverage ( watched a stream ) so a 6ish, I'm only hoping he was defending and protecting Propper and defence.

Gross and Propper 8

Maupay 7.5 good finish, he's adjusting to PL life as well as can be expected.

March 7.5 played really well, but that touch of class eludes him, still.

Murray. . . . I'll refrain. Not on the same page today, he's almost a chapter behind virtually everyone else now.

Connolly is a work in progress, but I can't help thinking he needs a start and Murray as back up after 60-70

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
100% right - The Lampard Gerrard debate of the noughties would have been redundant if they'd simply picked Carrick. Propper is a wonderful player and helps make us tick. Far from being weak we should be delighted to have him

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The problem with Murray is that he doesnt do a lot other then score. When he has a bad day like today - and I'd caveat that by saying he has days like Wolves last year where he has one shot and scores - he looks average at best.

Jury's out on letting Andone go for me.

Andone wanted to go. Therefore we are probably better off without him.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Andone wanted to go. Therefore we are probably better off without him.

We maybe, we might not be. Without knowing the ins and outs on a daily basis its difficult to say.and where we can only speculate.

There aren't many who'd look at the bench today and not want Knockaert and Andone based on ability. It looked a bit threadbare to me but if Potter knows what he's doing, I'd rather he was right than I was.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Ryan - 6 - didn't have an awful lot to do, but was part of that HOW DO WE TAKE A GOAL KICK party for much of the first half. We didn't know of any alternatives, and no one took charge when they should have done. I found that annoying, but also those in and around me shouting JUST KICK IT LONG, when i'd rather we didn't.

March - 7 - played well, and floated a great ball in for Maupay to finish, but remains an uncertain player. Maybe wingback is his perfect role, with expectation of an end result being lessened thanks to a job needing to be done at both ends. I hope with Potter that he finds that confidence, though, that he's lacked, and can make that step up that we've waited for.

Dunk - 6.5 - a smooth operator, but too many passes astray today. I expect more from our centreback playmaker. Although Burnley are a tough nut to crack.

Duffy - 6.5 - as per usual he is allowed the ball by opponents, to then be hounded as the supposedly obvious weak link. Thought he did fine though. We had a big backline, with a ball rarely won in the air as it might more regularly be by Wood.

Webster - 7.5 - haven't seen the replays of the goal we conceded, but i saw him backing away, in memory, when he'd gotten stuck in so often during the match. Probably not his fault, but a great second half performance, striding forward with purpose and being tough to beat when called upon. I like the look of him.

Burn - 6 - did his best, certainly, and had some cool moments, but, for the love of 9 gods he's not a wingback. Wasn't beaten much, which surprised me when up against Lennon, who did next to nothing, but in possession and as an attacking threat it didn't fit. I'd prefer Webster there if it came to it.

Propper - 7.5 - here's a chap who definitely needs to bag a goal or two, but he was good today once we settled, probing and pressing. I thought Gross and Propper had an uncanny knack of stealing the ball from Burnley players, and i don't remember seeing that before. Good stuff.

Stephens - 6.5 - i thought he did ok. Burnley drop deep and i don't think we had many ideas for quite sometime of how to get through. Some good forward passes that i hope he continues with. I was watching at halftime Bissouma knock some balls around and gee bollockers he has got a touch to him. I wonder how he'll be integrated into our set-up and what change might be brought about, which excites.

Gross - 7 - second half he was a sly magician, turning and looking to play balls through. His set pieces i wanted more from though, and i bet he did too. So creative.

Maupay - 7 - good finish that. He needs to find more to his game and how our system works, in terms of bringing others in and not only appearing in poaching moments, but good to have a finisher amongst us.

Murray - 6.5 - had his moments and led the line reasonably well. Proved that his age matters little too - he was never a creature of pace, so the smarter he gets the quicker he can be in terms of outthinking defenders. If he and Maupay are to be a sort of twosome for a spell, they need to start blending, knowing each other's every step.

Overall, once we jammily kept the sheet clean in the opening 20 minutes, we played some good football. I just hope we transfer that to points. Especially at home against teams we can beat. I love what we try, but we need that unstoppable mentality with it. I'm sure Potter is working on that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here