Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
What’s to worry about? We are playing more expansive and attractive football with better players. Bring it on. I’m really excited about what we might do this season. Last season the thought of us having three shots in an away game was unthinkable, this season we’ve scored three goals in one. Things went against us in the two home games (VAR mainly) but we still could have taken four points from them. You can’t expect to win a game at this level if you play 65 minutes with ten men but on another day that game could easily have finished 0-0. And as I’ve said, we were better than West Ham.

And saying we rarely get anything from Burnley is a lazy way of being negative. We’ve never played them with an attacking, progressive manager in charge so let’s see what happens.

Completely agree. 4 points from 4 games is not a bad start and sets us up for probable survival so I'm happy. More attractive football which is what most of us have been crying out for and I'd far rather see us play this way, even if we get relegated, than survive by the skin of our teeth playing the boring football from Chris.

I'm confident we'll get better and still predict we'll finish 16th which would be fantastic. Trying to judge things after losing to Man City allstars is pretty irrelevant. A good weeks rest then bring on Burnley. Hopefully all the VAR bad luck we've had will go against them and we will get a welcome 3 points! UTA

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
You do not have ‘must win’ games 5 games into the season. It’s one that we should be winning but there is a lot more football to be played.

Disagree, if we don’t start beating teams like Burnley and taking out chances then where are the other 30 odd points comming from sorry but it is must win . Going to learn alit about Potter and the team come the next game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Disagree, if we don’t start beating teams like Burnley and taking out chances then where are the other 30 odd points comming from sorry but it is must win . Going to learn alit about Potter and the team come the next game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We learn all the time.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Would you have CH back?

Not in a million years. Hated our style of football in the end. Was hoping for a top European coach who has managed at the highest level and Champions league. Instead we have taken a huge risk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
2x Champions League
3x La Liga
5x Spanish cups
3x Bundesliga
2x German cups
3x UEFA Super Cup
3x Fifa Club World Cup
2x Premier League
3x English cups

It suggests he probably has a fairly good idea!

Yep, all the while playing the most attractive football ever seen. He’s taken the game to another level over the last 11 years.

He is probably the best in my opinion but certainly one of the three greatest managers of all time along with Rinus Michels and Arrigo Sachi.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
2x Champions League
3x La Liga
5x Spanish cups
3x Bundesliga
2x German cups
3x UEFA Super Cup
3x Fifa Club World Cup
2x Premier League
3x English cups

It suggests he probably has a fairly good idea!

Everton won the league in 1928 by lumping the ball up to the goal-hanging Dixie Dean who scored 60 goals. Successful. Within the laws of the game.

Greece won Euro 2004 setting up defensively and being clinical on set pieces.

I could go on.

Two examples of very different ways of playing the game that are also successful.

There is no RIGHT way to play the game - it constantly evolves. Win beautifully, win ugly. The aim of the game is to win.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Everton won the league in 1928 by lumping the ball up to the goal-hanging Dixie Dean who scored 60 goals. Successful. Within the laws of the game.

Greece won Euro 2004 setting up defensively and being clinical on set pieces.

I could go on.

Two examples of very different ways of playing the game that are also successful.

There is no RIGHT way to play the game - it constantly evolves. Win beautifully, win ugly. The aim of the game is to win.

The point he is making is that Pep has been consistent at winning stuff. All you are doing is highlighting what has been achieved in basically one off situations.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
As I said previously, we rarely get anything against Burnley & Barnes is bound to score. I think we stand a chance with Newcastle, but who knows. We should have taken our chances against Southampton.
I am worried.

Never had you down as someone who panics at the first sign, I'm surprised.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Agree with you on Hughton. Like the players, I’m loving being free of him and his negativity.

Not sure I agree on a top European coach though. Someone who has managed at that level would see us as a step down. It’s always better to get someone on their way up with something to prove in my opinion.
We can give a good European coach a stable environment, world class facilities, money to spend and playing in the Premier league. Not sure a manager would see us as a step down.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Never had you down as someone who panics at the first sign, I'm surprised.

Yorkie was always pro Hughton though. It didn't matter who we brought in she wouldn't warm to him.They were onto a hiding to nothing in her eyes

I was one of the first people on here to be delighted at the hiring of Hughton. I called it right. It turned sour in the end and he had to go. I'm just not convinced by Potter

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Manchester City vs Brighton &amp; Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

What’s to worry about? We are playing more expansive and attractive football with better players. Bring it on. I’m really excited about what we might do this season. Last season the thought of us having three shots in an away game was unthinkable, this season we’ve scored three goals in one. Things went against us in the two home games (VAR mainly) but we still could have taken four points from them. You can’t expect to win a game at this level if you play 65 minutes with ten men but on another day that game could easily have finished 0-0. And as I’ve said, we were better than West Ham.

And saying we rarely get anything from Burnley is a lazy way of being negative. We’ve never played them with an attacking, progressive manager in charge so let’s see what happens.

Agree with all of that. I’m amazed by the negativity on here after we just lost to the best side we’ve ever seen in England and only 3 weeks ago Potter was being lauded as a genius.

It’s blindingly obvious to me how much progress we have already made from last season and I’m astonished it’s not to everyone.

The match tactics and coaching are clearly on a different level to what the players had to endure last season.

Like you, I think Potter is the real deal and the new players who are now being bedded in like Webster, Trossard and Maupay are really exciting. I can’t wait to see Bissouma in this side either. Bring on Burnley!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Did you not see him fall over for the first goal and nearly gift them a second?

Yep. I also saw Allison make bad one off errors in his first games for Liverpool before becoming one of the main reasons for their success last season. Like Klopp, I’m able to look beyond that in his first game and for what he gives to the side overall. And to be honest, the first goal was really Propper’s fault.

Sterling’s quietest game of the season being against us was no coincidence.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Time to pause and reflect. Ultimately this was always going to happen, being more expansive away to teams like city... it is however, more entertaining in terms of attacking intent... yet as predictable as ever in terms of outcome. Having said that, the stats suggest (this far this season and today) GP has arrested the terrible form from the tail end of last season. We were unfortunate to drop points against the Hammers and last week was mostly down to our loose cannon and his lack of coolness in tenacity. The requirement, for me, is four points from the next two games. If GP can deliver that then he will have proven he is indeed an upgrade on CH...

The panic is not really valid... after all, as Palace proved a couple of seasons back, even after 10 catastrophic games its not too late to finish in about twelfth.

Move on, raking this one over is pointless - they’re a brilliant team MILES better than us... sure you could fluke a win (Palace style), but nine times out of ten, going there, teams like us are ****ed and so we should be all things considered.

The media piss me off the most, last season we were anti football and too negative, this season naive and playing into the mighty City’s hands. Sigh... yet had we won, we would have been brave, positive and correct to attack City. Heh heh.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here