Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The return of capital punishment?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Capital punishment has never and will be a deterrent. It doesn’t work. History shows us this. The American justice system shows us this. If incredibly severe punishments for minor misdemeanours didn’t stop crime back in the day, what makes anyone think it’ll bringing back an outdated and barbaric judicial practice would stop criminals now?

I don't think you can say that with any degree of certainty. How do you really know it doesn't work? Yes, murderers took the chance in this country prior to the abolition of the death penalty, but how many potential murderers were put off by the threat of the noose - you can obviously tell us, as you say that the death penalty doesn't work.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Hapy to say Maine has had no death penalty since 1887. Ah, but a rural state, no big cities, no real crime, you'll say.

I don't think you can say that with any degree of certainty. How do you really know it doesn't work? Yes, murderers took the chance in this country prior to the abolition of the death penalty, but how many potential murderers were put off by the threat of the noose - you can obviously tell us, as you say that the death penalty doesn't work.

Michigan -- home to Detroit -- abolished it in 1846. Homicide rate 5.7 100,000 population per year.

Right next door:

Ohio -- home to Cleveland and Cincinnati -- 136 prisoners on death roe: Homicide rate: 6.1 per 100,000 population per year
Indiana -- home to Gary, Hammond, Indianapolis,etc -- also has the death penalty: Homicide rate 6.0 per 100,000 population per year

It's almost as if it doesn't matter, unliss yuu are in fact simply out for revenge.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Hapy to say Maine has had no death penalty since 1887. Ah, but a rural state, no big cities, no real crime, you'll say.

Michigan -- home to Detroit -- abolished it in 1846. Homicide rate 5.7 100,000 population per year.

Right next door:

Ohio -- home to Cleveland and Cincinnati -- 136 prisoners on death roe: Homicide rate: 6.1 per 100,000 population per year
Indiana -- home to Gary, Hammond, Indianapolis,etc -- also has the death penalty: Homicide rate 6.0 per 100,000 population per year

It's almost as if it doesn't matter, unliss yuu are in fact simply out for revenge.

Convenient stats of course, just taking a few states. I assume you mean me personally; no, I am not out for revenge at all, just saying that you cannot be certain about the deterrent factor, as you don't know how many folks have been deterred?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
When I said 100 % proven I meant the case against them

Yes, I knew what you meant. The article was talking about the effectiveness of reoffending after medical castration or chemical castration.
The latter has had some limited success, but the former doesn't (which was posted by [MENTION=7]Mustafa[/MENTION])

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Would a public vote support it? Probably not .
Would I support it? Yes......... for the worst crimes and subject to a higher burden of proof.

Disagree that the public wouldn't support this. I think if there was a referendum it could get through, especially if the government in place, supported it and timed it during a particularly bloody phase in the news cycle and called in their mates from the tabloid press, for a quick brain washing of the dim multitudes exercise.

Hence why representative democracy is necessary.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Might as well go for the whole hog and bring back National Service, Borstal's and public floggings... then bring back the cane at school, Fox hunting, Bear baiting etc etc.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Might as well go for the whole hog and bring back National Service, Borstal's and public floggings... then bring back the cane at school, Fox hunting, Bear baiting etc etc.

Nothing wrong with National Service and Borstals IMO

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I have no moral problem with capital punishment for certain offences.

However, I do not get to decide what those offences should be; instead a government will do it for me. I don't trust governments to have that power. And I do not trust all convictions or believe the legal system is foolproof or incorruptible.

For those reasons I am against any capital punishment.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Why do we punish people for murder? Because killing is wrong - the police don't even have to name an Act when arresting for murder, it's under Common Law. It's just plain wrong. So how can it be right when the State does it?

Not in my name, thanks. Even aside from the morality of the thing in itself, one innocent hanged in a miscarriage of justice is one too many, and we've already seen it happen. That alone should be reason enough for most people.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne

I like the cut of your jib, Sir.... :hilton:

Can we also bring back Mental Asylums for single mothers, and call disabled people 'Invalids'. Oh, and bring back outside toilets.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Convenient stats of course, just taking a few states. I assume you mean me personally; no, I am not out for revenge at all, just saying that you cannot be certain about the deterrent factor, as you don't know how many folks have been deterred?

To find any effect, you'd want to find comparable, abutting states where the death penalty is, and is not, in force. Hence the three I picked.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe..._States_with_hiatuses_-_March_14_2019.svg.png

Green states have abolished, or never had
Red have, and have executed in the last decade.
Yellow, states with moratoria - no executions in a decade

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nothing wrong with National Service and Borstals IMO

Only nowadays the tender would be picked up by Serco or Capita who would be paid a handsome amount of money for giving miscreants the chance to associate with like minded individuals and be well schooled in the dark arts of the use of weapons,combat and crime ! Great for the shareholders, not so good for joe public.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I wouldn't trust the government not to plant evidence like they do in America

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Before anyone thinks reinstating capital punishment is a good idea they should be made to put down The Sun and pick up and read, cover to cover, The Secret Barrister.

The legal system in this country is pretty much broken with most people on middle incomes forced to choose between bankruptcy, cowboy solicitors or representing themselves if they're charged and the overworked CPS making more or less random decisions whether to charge or not. Imagine having to choose between financial ruin and death because an outsourcer has screwed up a DNA test.

Terrorism fills me with the most vengeful thoughts but, of course, that's what they want. State execute a terrorist and you're giving them exactly what they want and making them a martyr. Keep them alive in solitary with the odd trip to the communal showers.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Great for the shareholders, not so good for joe public.

It's very hard to pitch a public good in a country where at least one political party, and half the political nation, doesn't believe the word 'public' has any referent existing in the real world.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here