Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Millwall vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes you're right, it was extremely unusual for the commentator to call out the officials. But then it's also pretty unusual for officials to get that much wrong, all against the same team.

However, that doesn't mean that the general commentary wasn't biased. And not because of some subtle dislike of Brighton, but more likely because when the performances on the pitch are reasonably matched, they felt like commending the underdogs. Then when Millwall took the lead, they had to talk Millwall up. Broadcasters paying for TV rights don't want the commentators to constantly be saying a team is only winning because of poor officiating (it happens a lot), they praise the team in the lead and state that they've been too good for the losers on the day.

Pearce also had his pre-planned speeches of the fans at the Lion's Den to get through. Bullshit like 'Millwall have said to the Premier League big boys, step into our den, come into the lion's den, we have the pride, we have the roar...'.

Even when you're the better team, it's not easy to go somewhere and win easily, so it was no surprise we didn't walk it. Without the poor officials, we'd have scored in the first half, dominated possession and got through comfortably, with the commentary being that we were too good for Millwall.

Spot on with everything. Not a bias or anti Albion thing, just a tiresome undercurrent of talking/screaming up the underdog and overplaying any perceived failings in the other team. It happens in every PL match too, until a bigger club takes a hold of a game. Pearce would call his preplanned statements praising all things Millwall and their supporters ‘research’, I would call it noise. Why not simply comment on the game of football in front of you?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Take it you've never run the line where players positions change in the blink of an eye?
It's not my job. I fully understand how fast it is, but that's the job. That's it, the whole job, and generally linesmen are really good at it. They're constantly clocking who is in an offside position, and runners, along with when the ball is played forward.

Yesterday's decision wasn't a tricky one where it was passed through a group of players, then knocked on to a couple of strikers, one being onside and the other being off. Yesterday's was a regulation decision - wing-back running past the defence to receive a cross-field pass. Nine out of ten linesmen would have got that call right.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Here's the screengrab....................bearing in mind the pace Montoya was running at, and the line of 4 players Massey needs to be able to see through (Montoya in the way as she looks across for sure), it's not the most heinous of bad decisions..................

Jurgen.jpg

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It's not my job. I fully understand how fast it is, but that's the job. That's it, the whole job, and generally linesmen are really good at it. They're constantly clocking who is in an offside position, and runners, along with when the ball is played forward.

Yesterday's decision wasn't a tricky one where it was passed through a group of players, then knocked on to a couple of strikers, one being onside and the other being off. Yesterday's was a regulation decision - wing-back running past the defence to receive a cross-field pass. Nine out of ten linesmen would have got that call right.

And yet not one Brighton player complained...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And yet not one Brighton player complained...
WTF has that got to do with anything? Their job is to play football, not run the line. Montoya wasn't impressed with the decision, but there's no point in complaining, it wasn't going to change anything.

boik

Here's the screengrab....................bearing in mind the pace Montoya was running at, and the line of 4 players Massey needs to be able to see through (Montoya in the way as she looks across for sure), it's not the most heinous of bad decisions..................

View attachment 106096

That must have been photoshopped. I've heard a thousand times that Stephens doesn't pass forward!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
WTF has that got to do with anything? Their job is to play football, not run the line. Montoya wasn't impressed with the decision, but there's no point in complaining, it wasn't going to change anything.

Are you seriously saying that having possibly just had their dream of playing in the FA Cup semi final snatched away, by apparently, such a glaring mistake, that they would all just collectively shrug their shoulders and say never mind. The players clearly felt the assistant had made a tight, but correct call. Slow mo action replays, with a perfectly angled camera, with no obstruction of view proved this to be wrong...

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

View attachment 106096

Agreed. Just watched it back for the first time. Of course it's a wrong decision but that's an incredibly tough call - Montoya running at pace. Can't believe some on here saying it was obvious and a terrible error. The refs decisions were far far worse. On that Neville and Carragher show last year it was interesting to note how it's virtually impossible to be sure either way as a lino on these sort of calls. In the ground it looked offside to me yesterday. Luckily it didn't matter in the end.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Just listening to talksport. John Motson on meant to be talking about the cup matches over the weekend.
Of course they hardly talk about our match , spoke mainly about City , and of course Jacobs already saying Brighton have no chance , what a wanker

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are you seriously saying that having possibly just had their dream of playing in the FA Cup semi final snatched away, by apparently, such a glaring mistake, that they would all just collectively shrug their shoulders and say never mind.
No, I'm saying refs can't make the call, because they're not in the right position. The players can't, because they're not in the right position and they're busy trying to do their job (play football). The only person who should be in the right position to make that call is the linesman, and they're also supposed to be looking at the position of the last defender, the timing of the pass, and the position of the attacker. No one else is supposed to be doing that, just them. That's the whole point of them being at the game.

The players clearly felt the assistant had made a tight, but correct call.
No they didn't. The only one who was in a position to see whether the call was correct or not was Montoya, and he thought she got the call wrong.

Slow mo action replays, with a perfectly angled camera, with no obstruction of view proved this to be wrong...
Obstruction of view? Wow you're clutching at straws. What exactly was obstructing her view?

As I said, linesman normally get those calls right. She didn't, she had a mare.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012

View attachment 106096
Thats pretty poor as Locadias foot is on the line and the defender is clear of the line, any where without a line to assist her Id be more forgiving.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thats pretty poor as Locadias foot is on the line and the defender is clear of the line, any where without a line to assist her Id be more forgiving.
The call wasn't on Locadia, it was on Montoya. It was happening quickly, but that's the whole point of having a linesman. They're well paid professionals, and they're at the game for those decisions.

To be clear, I haven't suggested that it was a worse call than the penalty decision for Duffy, or the foul on Murray. Those were bad decisions from the ref. I'm just commenting on this decision from the linesman - it's one that they usually get right.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Just read through this thread.

Usual suspects with their keyboard sofa kneejerkery when we were behind. You know who you are.

UTA. Keep The Faith.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No, I'm saying refs can't make the call, because they're not in the right position. The players can't, because they're not in the right position and they're busy trying to do their job (play football). The only person who should be in the right position to make that call is the linesman, and they're also supposed to be looking at the position of the last defender, the timing of the pass, and the position of the attacker. No one else is supposed to be doing that, just them. That's the whole point of them being at the game.

No they didn't. The only one who was in a position to see whether the call was correct or not was Montoya, and he thought she got the call wrong.

Obstruction of view? Wow you're clutching at straws. What exactly was obstructing her view?

As I said, linesman normally get those calls right. She didn't, she had a mare.

I reckon Montoya was probably the obstruction - he'd have been right in front of her (and moving at pace) and she wouldn't have been able to see the line of players stretching across the pitch due to perspective........I thought benefit of any doubt went to the attacking side though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I reckon Montoya was probably the obstruction - he'd have been right in front of her (and moving at pace) and she wouldn't have been able to see the line of players stretching across the pitch due to perspective
She'd constantly be flicking between the last defender, and the player with the ball, to check if anyone's offside when the pass is made. She'd see Montaya running (obviously hoping to receive the ball) from her peripheral vision, so she knows that she's got to take a snapshot in her mind when the pass is made. That's the job. If a linesman can't see it because the player making the run is in the way, then they can't do the job.

I thought benefit of any doubt went to the attacking side though.
Indeed, which means she must have been sure he was off. It was a poor decision. Watch other offside calls made in every game and you'll see decisions like that are normally correct.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Has anyone mentioned the subs?

Harris took off his three best players, whereas Hughton's subs got the goals needed and the penalties.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here