Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Schools 4 Climate Action - great turn out in Brighton

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
on this topic, i heard announced ban on gas central heating from 2030.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
on this topic, i heard announced ban on gas central heating from 2030.

Strange given the Chancellor's Spring Statement said that gas central heating would be banned from new homes from 2025. Does this mean the deadline has already slipped by 5 years in a matter of days?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
[tweet]1106524697443868673[/tweet]

Which somewhat shows the charade it is. Climate change is apolitical and the Tories have done fvck all to deal with it while in government but equally nor did Labour while in government. One has to wonder how members of Momentum have got to these young minds. If they really knew what they were chanting about they'd be supporting Caroline Lucas ...... and that's coming from someone that would never vote Green again after their attempt at local government.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Impressive indeed, would be more impressive if they did it on a Saturday instead of missing out on a days vital education.

Did you go on a lot of demonstrations as a child? Or are you uneducated due to other reasons?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I really don’t see the value in blaming older generations. Yes, there did a lot of damage but what alternatives were available? The vast majority of regular people didn’t have the awareness we have today.

And the generation before me is certainly doing all it can to combat climate change. Young people are still contributing to climate change the world over.

Motorised transport in cities was seen as a clean and healthy alternative to all the horse muck and piss flowing through the streets. You can’t blame people for beliefs at the time.

At the time, this guy was regarded as a genius.

He probably was.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Strange given the Chancellor's Spring Statement said that gas central heating would be banned from new homes from 2025. Does this mean the deadline has already slipped by 5 years in a matter of days?

no, i just mis-read/mis-remembered.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Which somewhat shows the charade it is. Climate change is apolitical and the Tories have done fvck all to deal with it while in government but equally nor did Labour while in government. One has to wonder how members of Momentum have got to these young minds. If they really knew what they were chanting about they'd be supporting Caroline Lucas ...... and that's coming from someone that would never vote Green again after their attempt at local government.

On a list of 180 countries evaluating there green credentials the UK has climbed to sixth under the present government.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You can feel the cynicism and contempt of the older generations dripping from their keyboards, no irony of the responsibility they have on the legacy they will leave behind.

That is far too simplistic to assume that older folk are cynical. Yes, progress towards combatting climate change could certainly have been quicker, though it is really difficult to get everyone on board, given national self-interest, but changes have been and are being made, albeit too slowly. From my many years of teaching teenagers, I know that there is a general malaise on their part with regard to current affairs and thus it is highly likely that the majority just saw today as a bit of a skive. Of course there are notable exceptions, but the litter thrown about by largely younger folk show quite clearly that all generations are to blame, and conversely all generations include those desperate to do something to avoid catastrophe.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Yes, YEs and YES !! That accompanying chant to the March really saddens me and indicates that the vast majority of kids there are just there to be rebels. In my time we had “pupil power” ironically being locked in the classroom to stop us joining the demo that none of us had any intention of joining.

Do those children, I pick my words carefully, have a clue what Corbyn is about and indeed what is happening about climate change in the regimes where he is looking for support?

I take comfort in the thousands of kids that didn’t join the marches.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That is far too simplistic to assume that older folk are cynical. Yes, progress towards combatting climate change could certainly have been quicker, though it is really difficult to get everyone on board, given national self-interest, but changes have been and are being made, albeit too slowly. From my many years of teaching teenagers, I know that there is a general malaise on their part with regard to current affairs and thus it is highly likely that the majority just saw today as a bit of a skive. Of course there are notable exceptions, but the litter thrown about by largely younger folk show quite clearly that all generations are to blame, and conversely all generations include those desperate to do something to avoid catastrophe.

I was only talking about some of the poster’s cynicism on here.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
At the time, this guy was regarded as a genius.

He probably was.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.

Ha! Reminds me of the chap, his name escapes me, who first marketed pre-rolled cigarettes, literally almost single handedly causing the western world to take up smoking.
He was later wracked with genuine guilt at the harm he had done so decided to make amends he would invent something that would benefit mankind and would be in every house in the western world.
That invention was......

The CFC cooled refrigerator. Doh!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
[tweet]1106524697443868673[/tweet]

Didn’t we have this protest a few weeks ago, is it not just another attempt to be a study/work dodger? Bit like unionised Labour supporters in general perhaps? Maybe someone should point out to Ernest that under 18’s cannot vote. Need to find my pic of JC as the the Pied Piper leading the rats to their doom.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
On a list of 180 countries evaluating there green credentials the UK has climbed to sixth under the present government.

Ok, maybe I should have worded it along the lines of 'haven't done nearly enough to combat climate change'. That said it is possible to move up the table doing nothing extra if other countries have gone backwards.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Didn’t we have this protest a few weeks ago, is it not just another attempt to be a study/work dodger? Bit like unionised Labour supporters in general perhaps? Maybe someone should point out to Ernest that under 18’s cannot vote. Need to find my pic of JC as the the Pied Piper leading the rats to their doom.

We did and I suspect it's going to become a regular thing. I have two children at Patcham High and the first time the school tolerated it. This time I got a number of texts saying any pupils attending the protest would have an unauthorised absence registered against them. I suspect the schools might get somewhat tough if this continues.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Until the worlds population increase which is ongoing exponentially is addressed politically (which would happen in a cold day in hell) anything we do is pissing in the wind. Young people ball is in your court.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here