Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
When were these voted on? As far as I can tell they are both still proposals from the Commission.

Don't know when exactly but they are due to come in to force in 2020 and the UK voted for them.

From the BBC :

"The Work Life Balance Directive, due to come into force after 2020, will guarantee two months of paid leave for parents with children under eight and five days paid leave a year for carers, while all working parents of children aged up to eight will be able to request flexible working.

The Transparent and Predictable Working Conditions Directive will set employment terms for workers from their first day and give more certainty to staff doing shifts.

The UK voted for the measures at EU meetings but ministers say it will now be up to Parliament to decide whether to implement them."

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I read in The Times earlier, per 1000 people, it says The US has 4X the amount of campylobacter/food poisoning than The UK does and 20X the cases of Salmonella. :eek:

In fairness they do eat 10 times the amount of food

D1AVJjCXQAAiy4u.jpg

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
How are those false promises? They are warnings of a no deal which hasn't happened yet. You need to find better examples of false promises.

I don't read this thread much now, because it full of knows all that actually don't know much, and when pushed or proved wrong disappear for a few days and refuse to answer, or some that just hate "thick" people who voted brexit, but some of your posts are quite interesting, but I have to say something to that.

You quoted - No. But I'm happy for you to prove me wrong. Let's see all the examples of lies and false promises from the Remain camp.

Seriously there is project fear. We were told if we dared to even vote to leave the EU, that we will have emergency budge from the then chanellor, that didn't happen, we were told sterling will crash to 1-1 with dollar (It is around 10% down not 33% it would have had to crash to go 1-1, unemployment will rise (unemployment is down), the economy will fail (the economy is strong, certainly stronger than most of the EU). FFS the pratt in charge of Ireland even went as far as saying our planes will be grounded (until someone told him to stop being a dickhead). Ask most remainers why they want to remain, and most of them haven't got a clue, other than I won't be able to go on holiday to Europe, or there will be no jobs for our children. The current chancellor was even hinting we will have to have (what was it) 8 more years of austerity if we leave without a deal. Or there won't be enough food or medicines..... we can still import. The ports are staying open.

Even now a car manufacturer leaves the UK, its down to Brexit, even when they clearly state it is not. Nothing to do with the fact more and more youngsters are not driving because of the high cost, so less new cars are brought as a result. Nothing to do with diesal car sales crashing. Nothing to do with more reliable cars than ten years ago being produced, meaning less new cars are purchased to replace failing ones. Nothing to do with people waiting for driver less cars or proper working electric cars, slowing down sales of "poisonous" petrol and diesel cars .

Nearly every media outlet points the blame at Brexit whenever a car manufacturer closes a plant. It's project fear and a lot of people buy it.

So I don't think you can claim their hasn't been a lot of lies and untruths and scaremongering from the remainers.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
i don't read this thread much now, because it full of knows all that actually don't know much, and when pushed or proved wrong disappear for a few days and refuse to answer, or some that just hate "thick" people who voted brexit, but some of your posts are quite interesting, but i have to say something to that.

You quoted - no. But i'm happy for you to prove me wrong. Let's see all the examples of lies and false promises from the remain camp.

Seriously there a project fear. We will have emergency budget, didn't happen sterling will crash to 1-1 with dollar (it is around 10% down not 33% it would have had to crash to go 1-1, unemployment will rise (unemployment is down), the economy will fail (the economy is strong, certainly stronger than most of the eu). Ffs the pratt in charge of ireland even went as far as saying our planes will be grounded (until someone told him to stop being a dickhead). Ask most remainers why they want to remain, and most of them haven't got a clue, other than i won't be able to go on holiday to europe, or there will be no jobs for our children. The current chancellor was even hinting we will have to have (what was it) 8 more years of austerity if we leave without a deal. Or there won't be enough food or medicines..... We can still import. The ports are staying open.

Even now a car manufacturer leaves the uk, its down to brexit, even when they clearly state it is not. Nothing to do with the fact more and more youngsters are not driving because of the high cost, so less new cars are brought as a result. Nothing to do with diesal car sales crashing. Nothing to do with more reliable cars than ten years ago being produced, meaning less new cars are purchased to replace failing ones. Nothing to do with people waiting for driver less cars or proper working electric cars, slowing down sales of "poisonous" petrol and diesel cars .

Nearly every media outlet points the blame at brexit whenever a car manufacturer closes a plant. It's project fear and a lot of people buy it.

So i don't think you can claim their hasn't been a lot of lies and untruths and scaremongering from the remainers.

We haven't left yet!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
We haven't left yet!

Well spotted. But you were asking for example of lies from the remain side. A lot of what was going to happen if we even dared vote for Brexit hasn't happened as listed above.

Only the Chancellors "8 more years of austerity" threat if we have a no deal, is the only one that can be proven with a no deal Brexit.

As you say. We haven't left yet. So any promises from Brexiteers truly can't be proved wrong until we leave.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The Mail on Sunday was a very vocal remain supporting paper dimwit

Under it's previous editor maybe. Not the current one, who's a dyed in the wool Paul Dacre protege.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well spotted. But you were asking for example of lies from the remain side. A lot of what was going to happen if we even dared vote for Brexit hasn't happened as listed above.

Only the Chancellors "8 more years of austerity" threat if we have a no deal, is the only one that can be proven with a no deal Brexit.

As you say. We haven't left yet. So any promises from Brexiteers truly can't be proved wrong until we leave.

Some of you seem to have problems telling the difference between promises, warnings, lies and predictions.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1103566185482850305[/TWEET]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1103055040573571073[/TWEET]

[TWEET]1103380302876028928[/TWEET]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

If we hadn't voted Brexit by a slim margin the economy would be £60B larger and there would be light at the end of the tunnel for austerity.

But we are where we are, and from here its austerity or austerity plus. We have still have a choice...

You own Brexit get used it to...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If we hadn't voted Brexit by a slim margin the economy would be £60B larger and there would be light at the end of the tunnel for austerity.

But we are where we are, and from here its austerity or austerity plus. We have still have a choice...

So you keep telling everyone. But those figures, like the projections for immediate recession and economic meltdown after the vote are made up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Are they? Can you show evidence they are made up? What is the actual cost running at present?

Here is a government document with some details.
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/summary-costing-brexit
All projections are 'made up' always. However some are better than others. The projections by some remain 'experts' for the economy after the vote were hopelessly inaccurate.

I have no accurate idea what will happen in the immediate aftermath of Brexit, good nor bad, neither does anyone else.

I do think the prospects for the UK would have been a while lot better were we to have handled leaving better though.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
How are those false promises? They are warnings of a no deal which hasn't happened yet. You need to find better examples of false promises.
They were explicitly NOT warnings of no deal. I was referring to the misinformation/scaremongering that warned of immediate economic meltdown straight after the vote if we voted to leave.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

So you keep telling everyone. But those figures, like the projections for immediate recession and economic meltdown after the vote are made up.

All projections are 'made up' always. However some are better than others. The projections by some remain 'experts' for the economy after the vote were hopelessly inaccurate.

I have no accurate idea what will happen in the immediate aftermath of Brexit, good nor bad, neither does anyone else.

I do think the prospects for the UK would have been a while lot better were we to have handled leaving better though.

nicko's post wasn't a projection. It is fact as shown by the government document I attached. It is what the government has already spent in the last three years.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Some of you seem to have problems telling the difference between promises, warnings, lies and predictions.

Are they? Can you show evidence they are made up? What is the actual cost running at present?

Here is a government document with some details.
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/summary-costing-brexit

Wow ..... talk about hyprocracy !!!!! The figures in that report / statement come no where close to £60Bn. The figure of £60Bn is nothing but a guess, a predicition. Based on theory of how much the economy MIGHT have grown. No one can prove the figure.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If we leave with *no deal* you'll only have to wait for 3 more weeks to see the collapse of the country start.

If we leave with May's deal then we go into a holding pattern while the next stage plays out.

Well, we'll have to wait and see.

And probably like you, I am no fan of the way May has dealt with leaving.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They were explicitly NOT warnings of no deal. I was referring to the misinformation/scaremongering that warned of immediate economic meltdown straight after the vote if we voted to leave.

Please supply a link or several links, newspaper articles and tweets will do. It's no good making statements about what happened three years ago without putting it into context (which my quotes have been and attributed to the actual person)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here