Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Alan Partridge: This Time

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down

:lolol:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brilliant episode, Partridge's pride, vanity and insecurity laid bare in all its glory.

Loved the way he "accidentally" read out the Tweets assassinating the late presenter they were paying tribute to at the end. Typical AP.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I enjoyed most of tonight's episode. I think the highlight was the bloke from Sunderland in the audience. :lolol:

I liked Alan's VTs, especially the graphic details of the battle. Simon was quality once again.

I am finding some of the presenting bits quite hard to watch though. There's just something about it which is just little bit cringe-worthy. It doesn't sit right with me, I don't recall finding AP shows hard to watch like this.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I enjoyed most of tonight's episode. I think the highlight was the bloke from Sunderland in the audience. :lolol:

I liked Alan's VTs, especially the graphic details of the battle. Simon was quality once again.

I am finding some of the presenting bits quite hard to watch though. There's just something about it which is just little bit cringe-worthy. It doesn't sit right with me, I don't recall finding AP shows hard to watch like this.

Agree with your last point. I know he's supposed to be cringe to watch but it's different somehow.They haven't quite got the timing right with it.
They have also tweaked Sidekick Simon to his detriment. On MMM he was the one who was popular and bright and way funnier than Alan and that was what Alan was insecure about. Now they seem to have written him a total bumbling idiot and it doesn't work in my opinion.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

I tend to agree here, its really quite crap. Not a patch on previous stuff.

Stick to watching Mrs Brown's boys [emoji42]

Mrs Browns boys is funnier, and that is saying something considering its a seriously crap show that isnt funny at all.

Oh well, humour is subjective. Each to their own. Hope the beeb didnt waste too much money on this bollocks though.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I tend to agree here, its really quite crap. Not a patch on previous stuff.

Mrs Browns boys is funnier, and that is saying something considering its a seriously crap show that isnt funny at all.

Oh well, humour is subjective. Each to their own. Hope the beeb didnt waste too much money on this bollocks though.
All shit

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Siding with the Bishop’s men against the peasant revolt was classic Alan, establishment and ruling class all the way whether now or 600 years ago. The shuttlecock dropping from the ceiling at the end also got me. :lolol:

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Found that a harder watch than the last episode, but the audience member falling off the back row when Alan got them to squeeze up when he sat down was brilliant

Found that a harder watch than the last episode, but the audience member falling off the back row when Alan got them to squeeze up when he sat down was brilliant

I spotted that and it raised a chortle, as did the the tweets if you looked carefully. Like it.

On the subject on the wide diversity of views as to whether Partridge is a) shite or b) a comedy classic I think there is place for a "what makes you laugh and why" thread.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I thought that was superb, a really tightly and cleverly written 30 mins. We’re in now.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Sorry - but it’s nowhere near as good as I thought it was going to be.

I get the gist of it all and there are some good moments but for the most part it just misses the mark for me. I’ll keep watching but more in hope.

Clever? - yes. Funny? - not really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Feels way too contrived for me. The great thing about AP in the past was that always felt like what you were watching could actually be real, in some sort of horrific way. This just feels so scripted and over-written that the original idea is lost and the gags are signposted miles in advance.

Some good moments but still feels like a pilot to me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Feels way too contrived for me. The great thing about AP in the past was that always felt like what you were watching could actually be real, in some sort of horrific way. This just feels so scripted and over-written that the original idea is lost and the gags are signposted miles in advance.

Some good moments but still feels like a pilot to me.

I found this review interesting: https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/03...nnier-this-time-with-alan-partridge-reviewed/

An excerpt:

"Actually, though, This Time with Alan Partridge (BBC1, Mondays) is genuinely funny, clever and enjoyable because finally he has scriptwriters who don’t hate him. For his original writers — Patrick Marber, Armando Iannucci and Peter Baynham — Partridge was little more than a spitoon in which to hawk all their metropolitan liberal prejudices about parochial, clumsy, racist, sexist Little England. As proper, successful, high-minded talents in grown-up TV and theatre, they looked down on Partridge, a loser in mere local radio who voted — ew — Tory. So there was never a need to understand him; he was there purely to be tortured like some disabled kid who has got it coming because he’s wearing a Maga hat.

The Marber and Iannucci approach to Partridge, Coogan told last year’s Edinburgh Television Festival, felt ‘a bit like pulling wings off an insect. It was fun but quite cruel’. But his new writers — Cheshire brothers Rob and Neil Gibbons, who’ve been developing the character since 2012 — have a much more sympathetic approach. ‘Although he’s a fool, they don’t want him to be destroyed, they don’t want him to fail completely. He’s well intentioned even if he’s wrong.’"

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I found this review interesting: https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/03...nnier-this-time-with-alan-partridge-reviewed/

An excerpt:

"Actually, though, This Time with Alan Partridge (BBC1, Mondays) is genuinely funny, clever and enjoyable because finally he has scriptwriters who don’t hate him. For his original writers — Patrick Marber, Armando Iannucci and Peter Baynham — Partridge was little more than a spitoon in which to hawk all their metropolitan liberal prejudices about parochial, clumsy, racist, sexist Little England. As proper, successful, high-minded talents in grown-up TV and theatre, they looked down on Partridge, a loser in mere local radio who voted — ew — Tory. So there was never a need to understand him; he was there purely to be tortured like some disabled kid who has got it coming because he’s wearing a Maga hat.

The Marber and Iannucci approach to Partridge, Coogan told last year’s Edinburgh Television Festival, felt ‘a bit like pulling wings off an insect. It was fun but quite cruel’. But his new writers — Cheshire brothers Rob and Neil Gibbons, who’ve been developing the character since 2012 — have a much more sympathetic approach. ‘Although he’s a fool, they don’t want him to be destroyed, they don’t want him to fail completely. He’s well intentioned even if he’s wrong.’"

I only understand two or three words in that quote. :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here