G Bong 4
P Groß 3 (sub: F Andone 77, 3)
D Stephens 3
D Pröpper 5
S March 5
G Murray 6
J Locadia 4 (sub: A Knockaert 71, 3)

No, it wasn't a ****ing nightmare..:angry:

Embarrassing performance, after once again throwing away a 0-2 lead away from home, the 2nd half performance was a collective failure of shameful proportions.

Tossers! This shower of shite will need to bounce back on Saturday otherwise we are in deep shite..:down:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
6 - average

Ryan - 4 - partially culpable for 2nd and 3rd
Montoya 5
Bong 6
Duffy 7
Dunk 5
March 6
Propper 8
Stephens 5
Gross 5
Locadia 4 - gave Bong no help
Murray 8

Knockaert 5
Andone N/A

Traveling back now on coach. Very p!ssed off by the performance, perhaps I should have waited until tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duffy 7? He spent most the game moaning to the ref and his own players and being out muscled by Mitrovic. His was an appalling performance.

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
Duffy 7? He spent most the game moaning to the ref and his own players and being out muscled by Mitrovic. His was an appalling performance.

Got to disagree. He was great first half, getting in the way of everything. Admittedly, much less so second half.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Kind of what I was thinking, but having slept on it, yep, still thinking similarly. We're incapable of changing the way we play mid game, it's all well and good being well drill pre match but 100 minutes of football is a long time and matches Ebb and flow far more than we seem capable of dealing with.

It seemed that Ranieri went in at half time with a clear mind as to how to counter our style and utilise his players best in order to achieve that. What ever he said worked 100%. Despite Murrays brace, we could have had 4 or 5, so one might argue, we still aren't ruthless enough up from, Propper almost scared of shooting! We'll never be good enough to walk it in.

1st half we weren't troubled really, second half was like a demonstration video of how not to defend. Ryan appeared to have no command or control over his defence, Duffy and Dunk had nothing on Mitrovic, and wasted energy and limited cranial capacity complaining. Bong and Montoya both hideously guilty of backing off to the point of letting attacking player clean through, or a free shot with 1/4 hour to think about it. When Knockhaert came on, he ran round like a headless chicken getting in Montoyas way leaving a Fulham player with 10 years of space to cross, as guilty as anyone for conceding the third goal.

Our wingers were completely out of the game today, nothing going forward and nothing in defence. We don't have an alternative but bloody hell we need one!

2-0 up at half time warrants 8's all round, losing 4-0 in the second half is a 1/10 overall a 3 1/2 out of ten and the same for the management.

For me the reason we fell apart last night was down to the management team clearly being more concerned with a ‘Fulham reaction’ post half time. The mindset should have been about being positive ourselves and flying out for a third not allowing Fulham to boss us so effectively by dropping off and trying to soak up any intense start to the second period. Fulham are woeful defensively, yet rather more dangerous when going forward, even more so now Ryan Babel has rocked up. Yet the plan was to sit deeper and give them space to cross (although the wingers failed to protect our fullbacks granted) the ball and hope they didn’t have the quality to finish us off - well that plan was failing (clearly) at 2-1 yet we remained totally unresponsive until we were pretty much torn to shreds. So; whilst Bong, Jurgen, Stephens et al were culpable as much as Chris, he needs to examine why second bottom Fulham looked so, so potent akin to Liverpool at the Amex last season, against his system and his players.

I should reaffirm, I’m not saying we tactically decided to drop off BUT the mindset is all about containment too often - sewing the seeds of doubt into the players against teams we should be FAR more positive across 90 mins against is highly questionable - we need to believe more ermmmm Chris needs to believe more.

Ultimately I would categorise this as one of the worst overall displays since Sami and certainly in the bottom three under Hughton... worrying times.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Murray 8; Had three chances, scored two goals and produced an incredible save from Rico at 2-2. Can't really argue with that.

Really difficult to score Glenn's performance, tbh. He scored two goals, which in itself is a great result for any striker, BUT he was arguably the player most responsible for us not putting to bed, and ultimately winning that game. You say he had THREE chances - he didn't - he had FIVE good chances (and scored probably the most difficult).

1. The first goal - whipped across by Montoya - Glenn does really well to get across his marker and guide the ball into the far corner.
2. The second goal - toe poked in from 6 yards. Excellent awareness to find himself where he did, and remain onside.
3. Glenn's header goes into the back of a defender and drops back to his feet, ten yards out, with the keeper lying helpless on the ground. He has little time to compose himself, but if he hits it anywhere other than at the keeper's legs, its a decisive goal.
4. Very similar chance to the opening goal, but this time he's more comfortably first to the ball, and its only 6 yards out. He's entirely in control of his balance, but guides it agonizingly wide. Again, would have been decisive.
5. Second half header from Montoya's cross. Excellent save from Rico, so no blame to Glenn - but for him, its another big chance.

As, I say - almost impossible to score that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Though arguably without him we’d have lost by 6 or 7.

Dunk was outmuscled a lot more.

Really difficult to score Glenn's performance, tbh. He scored two goals, which in itself is a great result for any striker, BUT he was arguably the player most responsible for us not putting to bed, and ultimately winning that game. You say he had THREE chances - he didn't - he had FIVE good chances (and scored probably the most difficult).

1. The first goal - whipped across by Montoya - Glenn does really well to get across his marker and guide the ball into the far corner.
2. The second goal - toe poked in from 6 yards. Excellent awareness to find himself where he did, and remain onside.
3. Glenn's header goes into the back of a defender and drops back to his feet, ten yards out, with the keeper lying helpless on the ground. He has little time to compose himself, but if he hits it anywhere other than at the keeper's legs, its a decisive goal.
4. Very similar chance to the opening goal, but this time he's more comfortably first to the ball, and its only 6 yards out. He's entirely in control of his balance, but guides it agonizingly wide. Again, would have been decisive.
5. Second half header from Montoya's cross. Excellent save from Rico, so no blame to Glenn - but for him, its another big chance.

As, I say - almost impossible to score that.

It’s difficult to criticise Murray’s performance last night. 2 out of 5 chances with one “miss” being a superb save is very good away from home. However we judge that, he did get us into a good winning position. His team mates then let him down. It’s an 8 from me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It’s difficult to criticise Murray’s performance last night. 2 out of 5 chances with one “miss” being a superb save is very good away from home. However we judge that, he did get us into a good winning position. His team mates then let him down. It’s an 8 from me.

That is fair, and on balance he can have an 8 from me, too.

But, I went off to bed last night, thinking not 'if only Dunk had won that header', but 'if only Glenn had tucked that third away'...

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
M Ryan 4 was a fault for the third and poor position for the fourth hope it's just jet lag, harsh on Button who did nothing wrong in Ryan's absence
M Montoya 5 slipped about not sure he's seen snow before
S Duffy 5 fantastic goal line clearance and a couple of times stuck his head where it hurts without these score could have been much worse
L Dunk 4 their third goal what was he doing should have taken control he was in the position to see what was happening and the last goal come on Lewis got to be stronger
G Bong 4 a couple of very good blocks but struggled against wingers we were told were only Championship quality
P Groß 4 one excellent turn in the box was not enough
D Stephens 4 lucky not to be sent off unlucky not to score
D Pröpper 5 our best midfielder on the night as he has been for the past few games
S March 6 our best winger and the only player on the night who was prepared to close players down and undertake defensive duties
G Murray 6.5 two very good goals MOM which is not saying much could have had a hat trick but for a very good save
J Locadia 4 Couple of excillent passes is not enough

A Knockaert 4 to little to late
F Andone 4 again to little to late

0-2 up half time could have been 0-5 with the chances we had, still at 0-2 it should have been enough against a team second from botton and at the time 11 points behind us!

I don't blame CH 0-2 at half time must have thought it's easy must have been thinking like the rest of us we could even get more second half, but as soon as the second half started and it became obvious they had changed tactics and then soon after they got one back this was the time CH needed to change things sadly he didn't

So we dust ourselves down and go again Watford on paper are likley to be a much sterner test!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Listened to the game on Albion Player, here are my ratings...

M Ryan 6 - Not at his best, may have done better on a couple of the goals but saved us on a few other occasions and his distribution was good
M Montoya 6 - Vulnerable in defence but looked to get forward to good effect
S Duffy 7 - Magnificent goalline clearance and was our best defender, with other good blocks and interceptions
L Dunk 6 - Not as solid as Duffy, not quite at his best at the moment, could probably do with a rest at the weekend and hopefully see him return to his imperious usual form
G Bong 5 - A tough night, not given much cover and failed to adequetly stop the balls into the box
P Groß 6 - Always looking to drive forward and create, one fantastic turn.
D Stephens 5 - A mark off for an ugly lunge, combative and ran hard for the team
D Pröpper 7 - Our best midfielder and unfortuante not to score
S March 7 - A solid game from Solly, worked hard for the team, tracked back and looked to create.
G Murray 8 - Outstanding performance capped off with two goals and two high quality finishes
J Locadia 6 - Not at the races last night, more to come.

Away audience 9 - In good voice and travelled in big numbers, kept rallying behind the team even when the going got tough in the 2nd half

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

For me the reason we fell apart last night was down to the management team clearly being more concerned with a ‘Fulham reaction’ post half time. The mindset should have been about being positive ourselves and flying out for a third not allowing Fulham to boss us so effectively by dropping off and trying to soak up any intense start to the second period. Fulham are woeful defensively, yet rather more dangerous when going forward, even more so now Ryan Babel has rocked up. Yet the plan was to sit deeper and give them space to cross (although the wingers failed to protect our fullbacks granted) the ball and hope they didn’t have the quality to finish us off - well that plan was failing (clearly) at 2-1 yet we remained totally unresponsive until we were pretty much torn to shreds. So; whilst Bong, Jurgen, Stephens et al were culpable as much as Chris, he needs to examine why second bottom Fulham looked so, so potent akin to Liverpool at the Amex last season, against his system and his players.

I should reaffirm, I’m not saying we tactically decided to drop off BUT the mindset is all about containment too often - sewing the seeds of doubt into the players against teams we should be FAR more positive across 90 mins against is highly questionable - we need to believe more ermmmm Chris needs to believe more.

Ultimately I would categorise this as one of the worst overall displays since Sami and certainly in the bottom three under Hughton... worrying times.

So it's conceivable that the half-time discussion may have been "Great Half. Lets continue to keep it tight for the 1st 10 minutes and not give them any reason to hope, and then as they become more desperate gaps will appear and we can put the game to bed"? The 1st goal so quickly was the killer. It does change the mind-set for both sets of players.. I don't think the plan was to "sit deeper" rather continue to do what we had done. That said, I do think the game had changed towards the end of the 1st half and we were looking under more pressure down the left-hand side, so am critical of the tactical reaction, or lack of it, I don't agree that deciding to contain them is necessarily a poor or unreasonable suggestion at half-time.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If Bong had played with March ahead of him, he wouldn't have looked as 'poor'.

If we'd had a second Solly March last night, in place of Locadia, we'd have 29 points now.

Exactly.

I really hate to say it, but Locadia was literally a liability last evening and shape wise we’d have been better off with 10 men at times....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here