Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cost of football really is a joke

Jan 30, 2008
I'm still waiting for [MENTION=19107]wakeytom[/MENTION] to tell me of the time this package was free, thereby proving the point that the club is now milking it's new found 'fame'.

(I genuinely don't know either way, but if I were betting on it, I know which way my money would go)

I'M STILL WAITNG FOR YOU TO TELL ME HOW FAR YOU'RE PREPARED TO GO IN FINANCING THE CLUB WITH YOUR MONEY???
regards
DR

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Why should a wealthy parent have an advantage over another parent, in seeing their kid walk onto the pitch with club captain?

And it isn’t someone else’s money. The club will have positive cash inflows in 2018/19 without the need for TB subsidy for the first time IMO.

Wealth gives you an advantage in everything that is bought. Odd that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'M STILL WAITNG FOR YOU TO TELL ME HOW FAR YOU'RE PREPARED TO GO IN FINANCING THE CLUB ???
regards
DR

Further than you, but I didn't think that needed saying, let alone shouting.

Regards
SB.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
which only cost £300,000,000.

So you're advocating Communism?

If the poor parent's child wanted the package the, I assume, season ticket holding parent could afford it.
How much money was spent on said child last week & on their birthday?

Chances are those of you who are currently clutching their pearls and preparing to swoon over this, are doing so because the 'poor families' child can't do this a whim.

Neither of my children can do this that's life.

Making a few quid out of mascots won’t help give TB his generous loan/share capital back.

The main income streams, including sponsorship contracts, are well into the millions.

A lot of people struggle financially, without the jibes, and the way it was with all names into a hat and picked at random was a lovely touch befitting of a football club. Not every little detail needs to be based on the economic angle.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Making a few quid out of mascots won’t help give TB his generous loan/share capital back.

The main income streams, including sponsorship contracts, are well into the millions.

A lot of people struggle financially, without the jibes, and the way it was with all names into a hat and picked at random was a lovely touch befitting of a football club. Not every little detail needs to be based on the economic angle.

But the club still offer free chances via young seagulls.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

No it doesn't, you're quite right, but something has to be doesn't it?

Why draw the line at mascots which is what 6 or 7 kids 18 times a season.
My son would be in his 30's before his name gets pulled from this mythical giant hat.

(Sure my daughter would have more appearances than Ryan, and that's why we're taking her to Vegas for her 21st)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agree with the OP here. Low income families are disadvantaged and the whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Premier League clubs have no reason to charge for this, bearing in mind the amount of money floating around.

Should a father on £20k per annum in Brighton have to pay hundreds to let his son or daughter be paraded round with a player who earns his annual salary in 2 days!

They don't "need" to charge but I think we have the balance right. To go back to my original point, if that parent had already planned to buy a replica kit and take their kid to ONE game the they would only have to find about another £100 - £120. I know plenty of parents on fairly low incomes who save all year to get their kid a birthday party that costs around that.

There is a bigger discussion going on here about milking the fans in the PL. I think the corner you're in with that one depends on how well you want us to do. When we're paying around 14 - 16 million for players who have struggled to break in to the first team then all income channels have to (unfortunately) be explored. There comes a time when we can't rely on TB to fund us millions per season for ever more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was that covered early in the thread?

This specific point is that non-poor parents can bypass that altogether by paying for their kid to walk onto the pitch with the club captain. Apparently.

If the season ticket holding 'poor' parents want to do the same, they can find the money.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

This specific point is that non-poor parents can bypass that altogether by paying for their kid to walk onto the pitch with the club captain. Apparently.

Non poor can afford better cars, houses,clothes and holidays amongst other things. Can't think why though.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
They don't "need" to charge but I think we have the balance right. To go back to my original point, if that parent had already planned to buy a replica kit and take their kid to ONE game the they would only have to find about another £100 - £120. I know plenty of parents on fairly low incomes who save all year to get their kid a birthday party that costs around that.

There is a bigger discussion going on here about milking the fans in the PL. I think the corner you're in with that one depends on how well you want us to do. When we're paying around 14 - 16 million for players who have struggled to break in to the first team then all income channels have to (unfortunately) be explored. There comes a time when we can't rely on TB to fund us millions per season for ever more.

Fully appreciate that but I’d like to think you take the club mascot out of the cut and thrust of modern day corporate football. Add some pence to pies and pints or a quid on a ticket if needs really must, but let the kids dream of being a mascot be a level playing field and not because wealthier families have the disposable income to guarantee it.

Some players have joined the 1% club to donate to charities, it might be an idea if some of that subsidised the club mascot, it would be a nice touch from the playing and management staff.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

It's not just the captain's mascot. There are more than one mascot packages per game. I don't know the exact proportion though.

I'm not sure how many junior seagulls there are. I remember seeing a figure of 7000 but that might be wrong. However, that is about a third of the number of STHs. If correct that would represent a 50/1 chance of being a mascot each PL season if you made it draw only.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't know why players are paid at all.

All there wages should be donated to charitable concerns by everybody else...

...who themselves don't donate to charities.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I'm still waiting for [MENTION=19107]wakeytom[/MENTION] to tell me of the time this package was free, thereby proving the point that the club is now milking it's new found 'fame'.

(I genuinely don't know either way, but if I were betting on it, I know which way my money would go)

I cannot answer that however based on some of the previous comments it sounds like it was free especially a number of years ago.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You finance your pub every Saturday afternoon I finance my football club - I know which I prefer to do

I bet Andone's goal looked well lush, in the snug.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
This cost us £225. Now it would be vulgar to post that if I was bragging but I post it for comparison. Consider he got full kit (I guess over £50 retail), we both got seats in the West Lower (let's say around £50) and it's really £125. A birthday party at a bowling alley or Lazer Zone costs MUCH more than that..

You've got your guesstimates wrong; full kit is £71 for kids and if you still get seated behind the dugouts those seats are £65 each (for Cat A match) with no child concessions so £130 for 2 which makes a total of £201 without the food vouchers. Even better value than you suggested!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Well after the description by [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] of the day out for the mascot I know what I'm going to get my lad for his next birthday. I spent 2 ton at a soft play a couple of years back and all I got was as much squash as I could I drink and his screaming mates. He will remember being a mascot much, much more and I won't have to spend the day in a fecking soft play centre, Jump in or any other God awful kids establishment.

Sure, the club doesn't need the money but then neither does any other multi mullion pound business that's maximising it's revenue streams where demand is plentiful. I've never known a successful business that doesn't milk it's "customers" and I certainly can't think of one as an example. It might not be right but it's the world we live in.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You've got your guesstimates wrong; full kit is £71 for kids and if you still get seated behind the dugouts those seats are £65 each (for Cat A match) with no child concessions so £130 for 2 which makes a total of £201 without the food vouchers. Even better value than you suggested!

Seats are W1A - basically the west bit of the SWC. You get to stand behind the away dug out until just before kick off then meet your child in the concourse and sit in W1A.

And, as per the reply to [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] , there is a general conversation to be had about whether those kit and ticket prices are reasonable. However, a U10 season ticket in Zone F is £95. That's a fiver a game. Surely some of the prices we charge for other bits allow this to happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here