Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Because any second vote would be explicit and potentially instantly legally binding, such as in the proposal put forward by Peter Kyle.

I fail to see how our trusted and loved MPs would act any differently. The referendum was morally binding, and look at how self-interest has taken over. Legally binding, morally binding or fingers crossed binding, the response should be the same.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Remain would not win a second referendum.

Most remainers I've read about (on here, in loads of articles - no, not in the Daily Mail - and talking to friends and colleagues) just don't want to know why people voted (and will vote) leave. Remainers do not get it, did not expect it, have made no effort to understand the views of people like me and simply branded us thick or uninformed. Well that's why the same will happen again, if a new referendum occurs.

It is stupidity to repeat the same behaviour expecting a different outcome. There would not be a different outcome because no remainer I've seen has bothered to try to understand all the different reasons up and down the country, that led to a 'leave' majority. Also, anyone who was on the fence before cannot possibly be on the fence now, and the 'on the fencers' voted for the status quo, as you would if unsure. Some of those will have shifted to a leave perspective in the past 2 years.

Whilst you might not be willing or able to listen to or attempt to understand why intelligent people (yep, like me) voted 'leave', by contrast, I can understand why most people I know voted remain. Usually they say things like they have family abroad/have a European wife, etc. I get that. It was about what was best for them in their bubble.

I voted because I believe leaving the EU would be better for the Country and I still believe that. Three of my kids are scientists, either employed or students, who will always need to collaborate abroad - and I still voted to leave. And they were on the fence remainers in 2016, didn't know enough about the issue.

Two of them would now vote leave.

I wasn't expecting the resulting mixture of sabotage and cock up though.

I personally think remain would walk a second referendum simply because the leave vote would be split. Many leave voters won't have wanted a hard, no-deal brexit, and many leave voters won't have wanted a soft brexit. Those that would not want a hard brexit may well then vote remain, rather than end up with a no-deal scenario.

With remain, there is no middle ground, it is simply do not leave.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
She clearly has no idea what taxation without representation actually means. If anything what she's actually arguing for is the vote to be extended to 16 year olds, that's true taxation without representation currently.

She was the leader of UKIP very briefly.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
According to a radio piece this morning our very own Worthing will be the second worst impacted town in the U.K. if a no deal goes ahead. Not averse to screwing over their own, these leavers.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I fail to see how our trusted and loved MPs would act any differently. The referendum was morally binding, and look at how self-interest has taken over. Legally binding, morally binding or fingers crossed binding, the response should be the same.

If the result of any second vote was instantly legally binding and based on a defined version of Brexit I am unsure how the response could be the same?

The 'self interest' as you put it is MPs not agreeing over what Brexit should be like. When you have Mogg and Johnson not upholding the 'morally binding' referendum (not sure who arbitrates over the moral position of a referendum) and disagreeing with Gove and Davis who are upholding this (who all voted to leave), then the problem is with the first referendum.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The 'self interest' as you put it is MPs not agreeing over what Brexit should be like. When you have Mogg and Johnson not upholding the 'morally binding' referendum (not sure who arbitrates over the moral position of a referendum) and disagreeing with Gove and Davis who are upholding this (who all voted to leave), then the problem is with the first referendum.

So that would differ how with 'legally'? Who is legally right in this instance?

The spoilers/stallers claim they accept we're going but can't agree on a way. Who would decide legally what the route out was?

A vote for a second referendum is like voting for anarchy.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
As a no longer 'local' living in the area I can predict this vote will be to remain based solely on the premise that Sussex in general voted remain and they wont have changed views to swing it the other way. I suspect a second vote nationwide would not change too much as people will simply have entrench themselves in how they voted first time & the only thing that changes that is (sad to say) the deaths of previous voters & the introduction of new voters predominately young people who are remainers in general.

I actually say lets have a vote every year for five years and that way its best out of 5 , I mean not honouring the first vote then why should anyone honour the second or third ?

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
I agree that just putting "leave" (or even "remain") is way too vague. Most people didn't (and still don't) really know what they were voting for. To force people to really engage with the decision they make the options should be specific and unambiguous.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Basically they want to highlight a Vienna Convention clause about ripping up treaties.

Which is fine. The clause exists afterall.

But if it's put in the legal advice with too much bluster, then it's going to cause a problem with the EU.

The trick is to mention it in the advice very softly, and very diplomatically.

'Diplomatically' !!! Lol. This shower of a Government doesn't recognise that concept unless it's dressed in stomping armoured boots !

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
TL.JPG

Not my MP, but hey-ho

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Amendment (C) tonight is the biggy for me.

- Revoking Article 50 by March 29th. ( An agreed deal before then would obviously 'trump' this).

This sets up a vote in Parliament as May's Deal v Remain.

Everything else off the table.

But the amendment won't pass. :nono:

Or it may not even be picked by the speaker. :nono: :nono:

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

If he can muster enough support then fair play. However it is worth remembering one of the elements of last night which is that no Parliament can bind it's successors, so if there were to be a General Election then it could easily choose to hold another referendum, and is why last night's vote (while symbolic) matters little without an agreed extension, approved deal or revocation and change to the existing legislation accordingly.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
So that would differ how with 'legally'? Who is legally right in this instance?

The spoilers/stallers claim they accept we're going but can't agree on a way. Who would decide legally what the route out was?

A vote for a second referendum is like voting for anarchy.

If the Kyle amendment was agreed in Parliament then a combination of Parliament and the electorate would have decided legally what the route out was.

I would agree that a second referendum with an undefined leave option not backed up by some legality would not be ideal.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
They could get one of the 77 million Turks that Leave told us was coming to live here, to cook it for them.

Tis' a good point, and the saving on the side of the bus could pay for it?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
If he can muster enough support then fair play. However it is worth remembering one of the elements of last night which is that no Parliament can bind it's successors, so if there were to be a General Election then it could easily choose to hold another referendum, and is why last night's vote (while symbolic) matters little without an agreed extension, approved deal or revocation and change to the existing legislation accordingly.

A lot of signatories to it. A who's who in the Westminster freak show parade basically:

Lee Rowley
Nigel Dodds
Gareth Snell
Caroline Flint
George Eustice
Anne-Marie Trevelyan
Mr Simon Clarke
Kate Hoey
Andrea Jenkyns
Mr David Jones
Sir William Cash
Derek Thomas