Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Jospeh

Oct 28, 2016
Americans just crack on with it and find a way. Can you imagine the carnage here if we were at -30 ?

Its worth remembering that the ONLY time an NFL game has been postponed or called off is due to approaching hurricanes, in Miami (1992, 2004, 2005 & 2017) and Houston (2008). The Minnesota Vikings also had to call off a game in 2010 due to the buildup of snow on the roof of their Metrodome stadium causing it to COLLAPSE. The rest of the time - play ball.

Here, they'll call off a match if there's a light dusting of snow which makes the surrounding area "hazardous". We are truly pathetic.

Wiki says you're wrong on this

On December 26, 2010, a Sunday Night Football game between the Minnesota Vikings and Philadelphia Eagles in Philadelphia was postponed to Tuesday, December 28, by a severe snowstorm. It was the first Tuesday NFL game in 64 years.[32]

In 2014, a severe snowstorm that hit the Buffalo area forced a Jets–Bills game, originally scheduled for November 23, to be moved to Detroit’s indoor Ford Field on November 24.[33]

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Americans just crack on with it and find a way. Can you imagine the carnage here if we were at -30 ?

Its worth remembering that the ONLY time an NFL game has been postponed or called off is due to approaching hurricanes, in Miami (1992, 2004, 2005 & 2017) and Houston (2008). The Minnesota Vikings also had to call off a game in 2010 due to the buildup of snow on the roof of their Metrodome stadium causing it to COLLAPSE. The rest of the time - play ball.

Here, they'll call off a match if there's a light dusting of snow which makes the surrounding area "hazardous". We are truly pathetic.

Immediately thought of the Lions v Eagles game too...great to watch from the comfort of the sofa! :D

Attachments

• CalvinJohnson_facefullsnow.jpg
    CalvinJohnson_facefullsnow.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 466
  • snow13large.jpg
    snow13large.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 456

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Slightly bizarrely, at around 10am today in my part of BN1 there were some fluffy bits falling, albeit briefly, as I de-iced the car to pop over to Portslade. Didn't last long though.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Talking of "calling games off", how does snow tend to do at Falmer, is there any risk of the Watford game being scrapped?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Talking of "calling games off", how does snow tend to do at Falmer, is there any risk of the Watford game being scrapped?

It's the area outside which is most likely be the problem not inside. We should be fine

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
What's amazing is that it's still not confirmed how much snow will fall later this evening and overnight!
I can't recall such divergence at this short range before. It really will come down to nowcasting for Sussex as some forecasts have us getting up to 5cm whilst others very little, barely a dusting.
So keep an eye on the radar from about 4pm and see what happens.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What's amazing is that it's still not confirmed how much snow will fall later this evening and overnight!
I can't recall such divergence at this short range before. It really will come down to nowcasting for Sussex as some forecasts have us getting up to 5cm whilst others very little, barely a dusting.
So keep an eye on the radar from about 4pm and see what happens.

I was thinking the same, there isn't too much certainty as to where and how much which normally by now, especially away from the coast (which is always dubious) you have a good idea.

What radar do you use as they all seem a bit variable to me?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wiki says you're wrong on this

Fair enough, but it proves the point on just how rare it is to see an NFL game binned off due to the weather. Even if our pitches here are playable (and most clubs in the upper echelons have undersoil heating these days), it'll still get cancelled for 'elf and safety. :rolleyes:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Thick clouds over Bn41 at the moment...the apocalypse is nigh.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I was thinking the same, there isn't too much certainty as to where and how much which normally by now, especially away from the coast (which is always dubious) you have a good idea.

What radar do you use as they all seem a bit variable to me?

Probably best free one on netweather, apparently it's snowing in the south West which should bode well for us. Keep an eye on the developing circulation at the back of the front, this could pep up the snow however it might mean Devon/Hants only gets the benefit of this. Think that's why they've been given an Amber warning.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
There is a lot of blue out in the channel heading our way. Will it be rain or snow here in the Sussex coast?

Attachments

• 5B514B3C-1286-4D08-95C4-B71E3CEB8FB6.jpeg
    5B514B3C-1286-4D08-95C4-B71E3CEB8FB6.jpeg
    761.2 KB · Views: 288

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I do love unexpected snow!

Down here in my little corner of Cornwall there was nothing but rain forecast today. At lunchtime it was pouring down, and all afternoon I've been working in a room with no windows. Went out at 3 o'clock to make a phone call and everything was white with the snow absolutely flumping down. Beautiful! All gone a bit slushy on the pavements now but the trees and rooftops are still white.

Anyway, if there is heavy snow in Falmouth, on the rather warm south coast of Cornwall (4 degrees outside) settling all over the place, then you guys might, just might, be in for a treat a bit later

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
We will find out at around 5:15 when it arrived on the South coast. Could make an interesting rush hour if it is snow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here