Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Does anyone think

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
That David Button is staking a claim to keep his place in the side.

I must confess, I was worried when Maty was going to the Asian Games. I am a massive fan of Ryan but watching Button and the effort he is putting in to try and keep the spot has really impressed me.

I do think Ryan will get his place back but I would now have no concerns if he doesn't.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
My expectation is that ANY player coming into the side would be wanting to keep his place. Button is no different.

Yes, I too think Ryan will get his place back on his return.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He's faced two penalties and gone the correct way for both. It's only a matter of time before he saves one.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ok what has Ryan done wrong to lose his place

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'll stand up and be counted.
After seeing Button play in the Carabo Cup I had nightmares about our chances with him in the PL. He's proved me wrong. Yes, he made some nervous mistakes first game, but he has made huge strides. He still has trouble holding on to shots but he is getting better each game. Probably a few teams making notes about his availability when Ryan returns.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To answer the OP point

.......obviously not as the brexit thread proves.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'll stand up and be counted.
After seeing Button play in the Carabo Cup I had nightmares about our chances with him in the PL. He's proved me wrong. Yes, he made some nervous mistakes first game, but he has made huge strides. He still has trouble holding on to shots but he is getting better each game. Probably a few teams making notes about his availability when Ryan returns.

It is said by certain posters that 'I am never wrong' but on this one I am as I had similar reservations and even preferred Steele on past games against us but yet again CH and BR have been proved to be more knowledgable.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
My thinking is an awful lot more positive and relaxed about him than it was after that spill in the first half against Everton.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Ryan is one of the better keepers in the entire PL, much like Hudders as soon as Lossl was fit Hamer was back on the bench. It's not easy being a #2 keeper but Maty simply must return to the XI. To those saying if Button keeps playing well he should keep Ryan out, what if Matys Aussies were to win the Asian Cup? It's not like he's been having a 30 day holiday he's playing footy and if he was to win it all with them surely that makes him even more qualified to immediately return?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Ryan will be back in when he returns, but if he is injured Button has so far proved he is capable of covering.

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
Like many i was fearing Matty being away and dreaded how badly our GD would be but having played against the league leaders and a very in form Man U, i am very pleased at Button's performances so far, I think we have very capable 2nd and 3rd choice keepers having seen them both in games. BR and CH made good choices in getting these 2 to the club.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Ryan is one of the better keepers in the entire PL, much like Hudders as soon as Lossl was fit Hamer was back on the bench. It's not easy being a #2 keeper but Maty simply must return to the XI. To those saying if Button keeps playing well he should keep Ryan out, what if Matys Aussies were to win the Asian Cup? It's not like he's been having a 30 day holiday he's playing footy and if he was to win it all with them surely that makes him even more qualified to immediately return?

Not really. Winning the Asian cup is about what is expected of that side.

He’ll get his place but but playing against (in the vast majority of cases) pretty dreadful sides isn’t anywhere near like what Button has had to face while Ryan has been away.

Button does command his box much better than Ryan. That is noticeable and we look much safer from corners and set pieces. I don’t think Button is the better keeper overall though which is why Ryan will rightly get his place back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here