Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ian Wright

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Water under the bridge, no need for recriminations.

Always liked Wrighty, even more so when Arsenal became my glamour club during our war years. Seems to know how to be humble and opinionated at the same time, good mix. Well done SF too.

Now about Mark Bright............

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Interestingly, most Palace fans despise him now. Something about him celebrating in front of them when he scored against them for Arsenal. Then going to Burnley instead of back to them when he was at the arse end of his career.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Think we're being a bit harsh! He had numerous trials as a teenager and wasn't taken on by anyone. He didn't sign for Palace until he was 22 so that's three years after trialling with us.

Keane I believe was friends with Paul McCarthy and the rumour was he wasn't taken on because he was too small. A reason given by many clubs for not having a look at him.

As regards Keown, I think we were given an option to buy but it was about £45k and as money was tight and he was a teen we didn't proceed.

All this goes to prove that hindsight is an exact science!!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Chris Cattliin obviously wasn't a good at spotting what a good player Ian Wright was, maybe that's why he ended up selling Brighton rock.

Respect to Steve Foster.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When did we turn down Law? He was signed by Huddersfield when he was 14!

Billy Lane wanted to buy him from Huddersfield but the directors refused to let him; some suggestions were made that they thought he was too small. Other reports were that they told Lane he'd have to sell the rest of the team.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Did Wright’s rejection coincide with us giving Dean Saunders a contract? Perhaps we couldn’t stretch to the two of them (although they’d have both been on a pittance compared to the “senior” professionals). Perhaps it was just the timing that was out.

Oh and well done Steve Foster.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
A very close friend was a young pro at the time when Wright was on trial with us and played in the same team of ressies when he did, he can hardly remember him, only this morning he couldn't quite believe that he was on trial for 6 weeks, he replied, really !!!

He said there was a conveyor belt of young triallists at the time, I suspect his problem was that he didnt have a dominant scout arrange the trial, therefore not a ally that would try and convince Cattlin to give him a chance, supposedly O'Regan had Melia and Penney had Sammy Nelson, once you are at a good level its the little things in a precarious profession that make the difference.

Fozzie was a big character and a generous guy.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Did Wright’s rejection coincide with us giving Dean Saunders a contract? Perhaps we couldn’t stretch to the two of them (although they’d have both been on a pittance compared to the “senior” professionals). Perhaps it was just the timing that was out.

Oh and well done Steve Foster.

Don't think so. Wright signed for Palace when he was 22 in 1985, the same year we signed Saunders. His trial with us was when he was a teenager so about 3 years earlier.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
As I remember, the reason for not signing Wright was that we already had Fashanu and Saunders and weren't in the market for strikers.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Anyone else remember when we played them in the Simod cup in 1990/91? Wright was given loads of grief by the north stand at a corner. He sort of craned his neck at us. Stuck in my mind . I think he scored that night as well.
How we turned him down I will never know

Was I the only one wondering if he thought he was getting racist abuse?
Everytime the ball fell out of the sky to him after a hopeful punt from a defender we were chanting "Hoof,Hoof,Hoof!"

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As I remember, the reason for not signing Wright was that we already had Fashanu and Saunders and weren't in the market for strikers.

I think he was way down the pecking order to be considered as a viable first team striker, he was just a kid trying for a contract, any contract, 6 months 1 year anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here