Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David Button for £4m? [Now: signed]

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
This is getting boring now. We did try to keep Krul but he is out of contract so we can't force him to stay. Maenpaa has played one league game in three seasons so no idea what you are basing your confidence on. Why not trust the scouting team who have done so well for us in recent seasons (and the goalkeeping coach who has done a pretty good job so far)?
OK, on your say so I will retract my opinion as you clearly know what you are talking about.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did you read my post? I didn't express an opinion merely suggesting trusting our scouts/goalkeeping coach. And stated that Krul was offered a new deal, which is a fact.

So true, until a few windows ago we had reason to doubt the recruitment team, the last few windows have been very impressive. I fully expect us to land all the players we need, possibly not our first or even second choices but players who will probably be up to the job within our budget. CH and the recruitment team have done a great job recently, why should it stop now? Having stayed up last season the job of convincing players to come here should prove easier too.

The earlier closing of the window is a godsend too, no waiting a month into the season to get the squad complete either.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Very quiet on the keeper front... Krul > Carson > Button for me, but we need to get someone on board...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Very quiet on the keeper front... Krul > Carson > Button for me, but we need to get someone on board...

As much as l would love to think otherwise I don't think it will be Tim Krul now, he seems to have made up his mind that we won't be signing an ew contract. Scott Carson is happy at Derby, (his wife runs a successful business up there from what l understand), so that leaves David Button who for me, is the weakest of the three keppers.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
As much as l would love to think otherwise I don't think it will be Tim Krul now, he seems to have made up his mind that we won't be signing an ew contract. Scott Carson is happy at Derby, (his wife runs a successful business up there from what l understand), so that leaves David Button who for me, is the weakest of the three keppers.

Signing him may be the key to kepping us up!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
This is getting boring now. We did try to keep Krul but he is out of contract so we can't force him to stay. Maenpaa has played one league game in three seasons so no idea what you are basing your confidence on. Why not trust the scouting team who have done so well for us in recent seasons (and the goalkeeping coach who has done a pretty good job so far)?

We also had the option of keeping Maenpaa as there was a clause in his contract. However we decided not to exercise that clause as the player had expressed a desire to move on in search of regular football. No point in the club forcing a player who wants to leave to stay as it sets a bad precedence and also could upset team harmony which has been a big part of how we got to, and stayed, in the Premier League.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
We also had the option of keeping Maenpaa as there was a clause in his contract. However we decided not to exercise that clause as the player had expressed a desire to move on in search of regular football. No point in the club forcing a player who wants to leave to stay as it sets a bad precedence and also could upset team harmony which has been a big part of how we got to, and stayed, in the Premier League.

Indeed. If I remember correctly, didn't we enforce the extra year with Vicente when he wanted to go back home?

Nobby's Whiskers

Feb 2, 2009
BBC Gossip column today suggesting that having signed Angus Gunn, Southampton may let Fraser Forster out on loan. His technique isn't the best, but I'm sure Ben Roberts could work on that. He is big and strong though, an experienced version of Christian Walton, and not so long ago in the England squad. A chance for him to rebuild his career just up the road, while Walton is groomed to take over next season. I'm sure his wages would be a lot more than Button's, but for a season (or even up to January) they certainly aren't aren't going to be anything like £4 million. And this way we're not stuck with a very average extra keeper we might not need in a year.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
BBC Gossip column today suggesting that having signed Angus Gunn, Southampton may let Fraser Forster out on loan. His technique isn't the best, but I'm sure Ben Roberts could work on that. He is big and strong though, an experienced version of Christian Walton, and not so long ago in the England squad. A chance for him to rebuild his career just up the road, while Walton is groomed to take over next season. I'm sure his wages would be a lot more than Button's, but for a season (or even up to January) they certainly aren't aren't going to be anything like £4 million. And this way we're not stuck with a very average extra keeper we might not need in a year.

Not a good keeper IMHO... a big contributor to Stains struggles... leave him alone...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

He is a terrible, terrible goalkeeper. In fact he isn't a goalkeeper at all. He's just a big bloke with a pair of gloves.

Specifically, his footwork is an absolute disaster - something we could really not be having.

And if his reported £70k/week salary at Saints is close to the mark, then yes, a year of that IS close to £4m...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Fraser Forster? No thanks. When he dives, it's like a Canadian Redwood crashing to earth. The most over-rated PL keeper by a distance - no wonder Saints want shot of him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He is a terrible, terrible goalkeeper. In fact he isn't a goalkeeper at all. He's just a big bloke with a pair of gloves.

Specifically, his footwork is an absolute disaster - something we could really not be having.

And if his reported £70k/week salary at Saints is close to the mark, then yes, a year of that IS close to £4m...

The first priority of a keeper is to stop shots his footwork with the ball is secondary to that but not saying he is the answer as shot stopper either, so its a a no thanks from me.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Agree
The fact he got near the England squad is a mystery.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Agree wouldn't touch FF, plus if he goes on loan they'll want him to be playing. Can't see him being loaned to sit on a bench, just to compete for the chance to play 3 games after Xmas.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here