Votes: 209 37.3%
  • Out

Votes: 351 62.7%

• Total voters

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
With the players he has been given to do the job it's now obvious the new additions are simply not Premier league standard add to that our slow midfield and ageing main striker it's not a recipe for success so CH had his work cut out from the off this season , to get rid of him now would be very harsh indeed IMO , I've alluded to outside interference from above CH on another thread but do the math when it started to go wrong , if we go down i would think he will do the honorable thing if he feels he's not going to be supported from above any more but if we stay up i hope he carries on with a bit more of a punch with the transfer market funding , he is right up there with the best managers Brighton have ever had and some of the vitriol spouted out against him on these threads is frankly dumbfounding .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'd argue the exact opposite. We have not brought in players to fit CH's system, particularly a mental willingness to play a defensive game.

Davy Propper is a great example, and I brought up this topic when we first signed him. Our first target was Thomas Delaney, a very different player and more akin to Stephens but with more of a goal threat. Our second target was Renato Neto, again a midfielder used to breaking up play in front of the back line. We failed to acquire Delaney and there was the injury fiasco with Neto, so we got Propper.

At that point I was thinking to myself, who decides the players we buy? Has Chris ok'd this transfer considering the disparity in playing style of Propper compared to Sidwell and the other targets on the list? Was it the best we could get pre-season?

You could make the exact same point regarding the acquisition of wingers who we have to spend a whole bloody season teaching how to track back...

Why are these the players we have given Hughton to work with, considering everyone in the football world knows how he wants to play?

Burnley target the exact type of player the manager wants, this limits them, but at least everyone is singing off the same hymn sheet. Similar but more progressive approach at Bournemouth with Howe. Our transfer dealings looked scattergun in comparison, as if we have just told Hughton to work with whatever the recruitment team conjures up. They're internationals, they have to improve us, right?

This isn't a defence of CH, I'm sure he had the last say before we pushed the button on any transfers, but he strikes me as a very agreeable man who will work with the tools he is given, rather than make demands.

Love all the points made in this post.

If Ashworth has had private meetings with Bloom & Barber, I’d love to know what was said (with his expert eye) about our squad and PL recruitment to date.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'd argue the exact opposite. We have not brought in players to fit CH's system, particularly a mental willingness to play a defensive game.

Davy Propper is a great example, and I brought up this topic when we first signed him. Our first target was Thomas Delaney, a very different player and more akin to Stephens but with more of a goal threat. Our second target was Renato Neto, again a midfielder used to breaking up play in front of the back line. We failed to acquire Delaney and there was the injury fiasco with Neto, so we got Propper.

At that point I was thinking to myself, who decides the players we buy? Has Chris ok'd this transfer considering the disparity in playing style of Propper compared to Sidwell and the other targets on the list? Was it the best we could get pre-season?

You could make the exact same point regarding the acquisition of wingers who we have to spend a whole bloody season teaching how to track back...

Why are these the players we have given Hughton to work with, considering everyone in the football world knows how he wants to play?

Burnley target the exact type of player the manager wants, this limits them, but at least everyone is singing off the same hymn sheet. Similar but more progressive approach at Bournemouth with Howe. Our transfer dealings looked scattergun in comparison, as if we have just told Hughton to work with whatever the recruitment team conjures up. They're internationals, they have to improve us, right?

This isn't a defence of CH, I'm sure he had the last say before we pushed the button on any transfers, but he strikes me as a very agreeable man who will work with the tools he is given, rather than make demands.

Very insightful. Thanks for posting.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
There’s way too many people telling me, as a reader, what to think... I never tell people what to think, just what I think.

For me, this whole debate is pointless, no pun intended, as Chris will remain in charge regardless of either outcome this season. He hardly strikes me as ‘under pressure’, stressed or akin to a ‘dead man walking...’ he’s cool, assured and firmly in place. I said elsewhere he’s clearly been assured of that fact... he’s here for the long haul, the board clearly back him 100%... so, in reality, our wailing about either view point is totally irrelevant.

I’m not totally happy about it, but when we slip into the bottom three and the nails start getting hammered in... nothing will change, of this i’m utterly convinced.

Love it, hate it or meh... it’s, if you ponder deep down, the way TB operates.

Just my opinion, just what I think. And, most joyously, my final word on the CH matter. Yey!

Dale Stephens however...

;)

Last edited:

He lost the fans on Tuesday. They rarely come back but I hope they do. We are just one fluke result away from survival but to do two in one season against Wolves is asking a lot

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
There’s way too many people telling me, as a reader, what to think... I never tell people what to think, just what I think.

For me, this whole debate is pointless, no pun intended, as Chris will remain in charge regardless of either outcome this season. He hardly strikes me as ‘under pressure’, stressed or akin to a ‘dead man walking...’ he’s cool, assured and firmly in place. I said elsewhere he’s clearly been assured of that fact... he’s here for the long haul, the board clearly back him 100%... so, in reality, our wailing about either view point is totally irrelevant.

I’m not totally happy about it, but when we slip into the bottom three and the nails start getting hammered in... nothing will change, of this i’m utterly convinced.

Love it, hate it or meh... it’s, if you ponder deep down, the way TB operates.

Just my opinion, just what I think. And, most joyously, my final word on the CH matter. Yey!

Dale Stephens however...

;)

That almost sounds like Brexit.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Surely the point is that we didn't get our first choices so then it is a case of getting players in that are, or are potentially, better than what you have and it is then up to the manager to make use of them. It's all very well having a system that you want to operate but if you don't have the players to fit that system then you have to adapt.

As for transfer selection, don't the recruitment team and manager agree what type of player they want and the scouting network seek out examples and then the recruitment team and manager decide who they are going after. Long gone are the days where a manager would conduct negotiations and then get the chairman to get his cheque book out.

So we having a new poll then :)

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Very much in, back to basics grind out results and look at the recruitment team to ensure players brought in have the right attitude

I would imagine the results would be the same, we're not that fickle surely?

It was a crucial point, but it's still more of the same from Hughton - not a single shot on target, etc. It will take a spectacular performance in the final four games for CH to win back the fans.

Well we’ll never know til we poll

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Clearly does have the respect and confidence of the players. Any comments after today that he has lost the dressing room are just for shit stirring purposes.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Still out, nothing has changed. Playing 9-0-1 is desperate from a desperate man that knows his time is up.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Clearly does have the respect and confidence of the players. Any comments after today that he has lost the dressing room are just for shit stirring purposes.

Players do play for themselves you know? This might be more about their contracts than the manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here