Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2019

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Esja by Hania Rani.

Out on Friday, the three tracks I have heard are wonderful. A talented pianist, promises to be my AotY with Delta Sweete, Beth Gibbons & SOAK.

Bootiful.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Listening to this as I prised this thread open. Care to share thoughts on Penderecki because I think this is my first encounter with him.

On a slightly different note, following on from Sharon Van Etten, I've just stumbled across another stunner that I suspect will be a strong contender for AotY for me: Crushing by Julia Jacklin.

Probably Penderecki’s most famous(!) piece is Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima. Set for 52 stringed instruments i think and written in 1960. Haunting stuff.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Henosis by Joep Beving -- who is new to me -- is 100+ minutes of neoclassical piano-based invention. I suspect [MENTION=35196]Is it PotG?[/MENTION] will get on with this.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Apologies in advance if it doesn't. It was recommended to me by a couple of staff in Resident, and have been impressed with the first few spins. Apologies in advance if it doesn't do it for you.

No worries, appreciate the suggestion. I need to stop playing the Hania Rani - Esja album as I have been totally obsessed with it.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
We're not supposed to like Hookworms any more though. I still think Microshift was up there in last year's AotY territory.

Funny one, isn't it? I loved that album, but confess I haven't listened to it since...and had a strange feeling about listening to something Hookworms-esque. But this is a bloody good album.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION]

New Loyle Carner album dropped today. Liked all 3 singles off it and there’s some good features on there including Tom Misch. About to give it a listen, hope it’s as good as Yesterday’s Gone. He’s also recently had a feature on an Ezra Collective track which is pretty damn special too.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION]

New Loyle Carner album dropped today. Liked all 3 singles off it and there’s some good features on there including Tom Misch. About to give it a listen, hope it’s as good as Yesterday’s Gone. He’s also recently had a feature on an Ezra Collective track which is pretty damn special too.

Thanks, will listen now.

We've got tickets to see him at The Concorde on May 3rd, really looking forward to that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here