Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Laptop & DVD Player

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Panasonic DVD player connected to the internet via ethernet cable and left in standby when off. Connected to TV via HDMI.
Laptop in the office using wi-fi and no bluetooth.
When I 'wake up' laptop and log in it wakes up the DVD. Why? How?
There seems no logical explanation.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Aliens.gif

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Panasonic DVD player connected to the internet via ethernet cable and left in standby when off. Connected to TV via HDMI.

If you are using a DVD player it sounds like you have transported back to 2003 somehow.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Guessing when the Laptop is awakened the router kicks in and pings the DVD player to see whats on the network, the DVD player is then picking that up as a signal to activate? assuming they are one the same network? either that or someeone has hold of the remote for the DVD and is trying to spook you out! :)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Might be connected by something to do with your 'home group' settings for your internet?
I have a BT home hub, where all of my devices are listed, especially where my Panasonic smart tv and yes, my Panasonic DVD player are connected.
:shrug:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Guessing when the Laptop is awakened the router kicks in and pings the DVD player to see whats on the network, the DVD player is then picking that up as a signal to activate?

This. Waking up the laptop starts the router getting all excited. Everything on the network has a quick rollcall to see how interested it will be that the laptop is awake. The DVD player will be a bit mutt and dumb and assume that any ping is the start of a long conversation.

Got to ask though... why the f*ck is your dvd player networked? HDMI (or SCART if we are in the dark ages) connection to TV is surely all that's required.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Got to ask though... why the f*ck is your dvd player networked? HDMI (or SCART if we are in the dark ages) connection to TV is surely all that's required.

Old system. Panasonic DVD and TV both about 5 years or more. DVD has a sort of 'smart' TV built in with iplayer etc but used it for YouTube and the Euro Cup Final. To think that when I bought them both were years ahead of there time and so advanced. Would love to upgrade TV but until it goes wrong then stuck with it.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Old system. Panasonic DVD and TV both about 5 years or more. DVD has a sort of 'smart' TV built in with iplayer etc but used it for YouTube and the Euro Cup Final. To think that when I bought them both were years ahead of there time and so advanced. Would love to upgrade TV but until it goes wrong then stuck with it.

Now TV box is one of the cheaper ways to 'smart' your telly. Don't need to actually use Now TV as the box also gives iPlayer, ITV player, 4OD etc as standard. With possibility of occasional month of movies or box sets or even Sky Sports when there's a deal. We have Sky in lounge but NowTV in bedrooms as better than getting SkyQ miniboxes and sooo much cheaper when we do have a few months of paid for stuff.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Guessing when the Laptop is awakened the router kicks in and pings the DVD player to see whats on the network, the DVD player is then picking that up as a signal to activate? assuming they are one the same network? either that or someeone has hold of the remote for the DVD and is trying to spook you out! :)

That's what I was trying to say :thumbsup:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I don't think it's the network doing this, it's the HDMI.
I have a similar thing occurring when I wake up my Sky Q it's switches the telly on too [telly not on network].

With HDMI attached kit, I think the devices do talk to each other, as a basic "I've been woken up! Are you awake? If not wake up!" - we have work to do, sort of thing ...

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Yeah could be wake-on LAN, although that's a bit of a random feature to bother with on a DVD player.
[MENTION=21200]I remember the good times[/MENTION]
What's the model on the DVD player?
Have you ever connected to it from the Laptop?

Last edited:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
With HDMI attached kit, I think the devices do talk to each other, as a basic "I've been woken up! Are you awake? If not wake up!" - we have work to do, sort of thing ...

That's HDMI-CEC, which is part of the standard. From the OP though, that doesn't sound like it's the case here - making an assumption that the laptop isn't connected to the TV kit.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't think it's the network doing this, it's the HDMI.
I have a similar thing occurring when I wake up my Sky Q it's switches the telly on too [telly not on network].

In your case it is the HDMI, in his case it is the network, a fully wired Scart connection could also turn on display devices and/or switch them to display the input that is connected to that source device when turned on.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I guess that the real question is; which dodgy DVD had you kept in the player which suddenly popped up and triggered this need for a fix?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Apparently Omsung DVD players have the same issue ???

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I guess that the real question is; which dodgy DVD had you kept in the player which suddenly popped up and triggered this need for a fix?

The DVD in the player is 'We're On Our Way'. Indeed it's the only DVD I've got I think. I have Sky which gives me all the stuff I need (except BT). Main use of DVD is we play back holiday videos stored on SD cards in AVCHD format.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here