Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Mosque shooting in Christchurch, NZ

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
As a Muslim, obviously I am heartbroken but really not surprised. Around the world the flames of other-hood are being fanned by nationalists and I have felt less safe as a Muslim walking around my own hometown than I did in the months and years after 911. Instead of fearing the government, I have learned to fear my neighbor.

Unfortunately on twitter in the anonymity that the internet affords, you will find a lot of support for the shooter, a lot of crass comments, and give us some insight to what a much larger silent group think and feel. This was not a small cell or lone wolf attack. They never are.

I write this to bring attention to the following: killing people is not normal. Violent extremism is a mental virus, a virus that can infect any one of us or our communities. The atrocities that people commit cannot be ascribed to the nature of their race, or their faith, or their language. It is a function of that mental virus. As long as we do not address this environment, these events will recur.

My condolences to those who are left behind to deal with this world. Including us.

Where do we start?

The majority of victims from Islamic terror attacks are Muslims.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why would you want to watch it?

Rest assured that kids on the back row of the school bus will be avidly watching and sharing that vid - and being further desensitised due to it. Same demographic would have been enacted by the Jihadi beheading vids. That's how kids are :shrug: Fault lies totally with the content providers who should take that shit down earlydoors.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Rest assured that kids on the back row of the school bus will be avidly watching and sharing that vid - and being further desensitised due to it. Same demographic would have been enacted by the Jihadi beheading vids. That's how kids are :shrug: Fault lies totally with the content providers who should take that shit down earlydoors.

Agreed. The bloke had even posted his document on social media 24 hours before the attack and nothing was done! Facebook quite happily block you streaming licensed music based on their AI software on live videos, but a horrific terrorist attack? No problem!

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
The point that was made that people can have a mental virus that makes them commit these crimes. That can happen, but that's not the only cause of violence. Some people, who would otherwise not want to cause violence, do so because they believe it's what their god wants. They wouldn't do it were it not for their religion. They wouldn't do it because of some internal mental virus.

You can liken it to football hooliganism if you like, but I don't think it's a great comparison.

Personally I feel that if religion did not exist then atrocities like this would still happen, they'd just be attributed to something else. I believe @ teammelli has got it pretty much right tbh.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Why would you want to watch it?

I see one of our lesser respected right wing newspapers have decided to share video with the public. When I saw who it was I wasn't surprised...

I agree it shouldn’t be online papers or otherwise.

It was sent to me, I watched it, it is shocking but I’m not going to beat myself up for watching it [emoji106]

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Fault lies with the internet in general Tom!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Personally I feel that if religion did not exist then atrocities like this would still happen, they'd just be attributed to something else.
Yes I agree, we would still get atrocities like this one. But there many are others that we wouldn't get.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
As a Muslim, obviously I am heartbroken but really not surprised. Around the world the flames of other-hood are being fanned by nationalists and I have felt less safe as a Muslim walking around my own hometown than I did in the months and years after 911. Instead of fearing the government, I have learned to fear my neighbor.

Unfortunately on twitter in the anonymity that the internet affords, you will find a lot of support for the shooter, a lot of crass comments, and give us some insight to what a much larger silent group think and feel. This was not a small cell or lone wolf attack. They never are.

I write this to bring attention to the following: killing people is not normal. Violent extremism is a mental virus, a virus that can infect any one of us or our communities. The atrocities that people commit cannot be ascribed to the nature of their race, or their faith, or their language. It is a function of that mental virus. As long as we do not address this environment, these events will recur.

My condolences to those who are left behind to deal with this world. Including us.

Teammelli. It's appalling that in 2019 you should be made to feel unsafe in your own neighbourhood.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Yes I agree, we would still get atrocities like this one. But there many are others that we wouldn't get.

We'll probably have to a agree to disagree on that as, personally, I think something would take its place if religion was eradicated. Any idea can be misinterpreted, warped and used to divided people.

I do honestly feel though that we seem live in a world currently so divided and fractious that it is becoming poisonous. When you add that ideas and hate can spread freely and unregulated over the internet it makes me wonder how this type of thing can be combated.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Personally I feel that if religion did not exist then atrocities like this would still happen, they'd just be attributed to something else. I believe @ teammelli has got it pretty much right tbh.

Mental illness and religion is a very dangerous mix in my view.

You cannot tell me that when the Quran teaches Muslims to treat non Muslims like cattle, that it isn't a problem for a young Muslim with mental health issues?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Robert Evans has worked as a conflict journalist in Iraq and Ukraine and reported extensively on far-right extremist groups in the United States. He's particularly interested in the ways terrorist groups recruit, radicalize and communicate through the Internet.

His article today is certainly an intelligent, informative read albeit a thoroughly depressing one in light of the Christchurch tragedy.

It features original posts by Brenton Tarrant and online responses that are offensive (racist, homophobic, etc.) as well as strong language, so be warned.

I've got no interest in watching any video of the shooting. Unless one is working in law enforcement, some things are better unseen. It's easy to become desensitized.

“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.” (Nietzsche)

But in the hope and belief that knowledge of the enemy is a significant step in overcoming it, here's an extract from the article:

Shortly after the spree ended, New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush confirmed that several improvised explosive devices had been disarmed by authorities. If those devices were meant as some kind of booby trap, they were not the only trap Brenton left behind. Immediately before carrying out his spree, he posted links to a manifesto on Twitter.

In “The Great Replacement” he repeats a variety of “white genocide” talking points, and claims his murder of several dozen Muslims is because they are “invaders” outbreeding the white race. All the evidence we have suggests these are, more or less, the shooter’s beliefs.

But this manifesto is a trap itself, laid for journalists searching for the meaning behind this horrific crime. There is truth in there, and valuable clues to the shooter’s radicalization, but it is buried beneath a great deal of, for lack of a better word, “shitposting”.

Shitposting is the act of throwing out huge amounts of content, most of it ironic, low-quality trolling, for the purpose of provoking an emotional reaction in less Internet-savvy viewers. The ultimate goal is to derail productive discussion and distract readers. “The Great Replacement” is a clear and brutally obvious example of this technique.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/rest-of-world/2019/03/15/shitposting-inspirational-terrorism-and-the-christchurch-mosque-massacre/

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Agreed. The bloke had even posted his document on social media 24 hours before the attack and nothing was done! Facebook quite happily block you streaming licensed music based on their AI software on live videos, but a horrific terrorist attack? No problem!

Social media is mental, Twitter allow ISIS to recruit on their platform but if you say you think someone who identifies as a tabby cat is mental you're banned :lolol:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I’ll never watch it, I hate to see the suffering of real people, especially through the preplanned filming by an evil piece of shite.

I'll absolutely 100% not encourage you to watch it but I've watched a few of this type of thing, including this one - Don't ask me why, I honestly don't know - But you may be surprised about how desensitised you are to it if you've played shoot em up games, watched violent movies etc etc. Most adults can separate this from their moral compass but kids and 'vulnerable' adults are going to be influenced by it.

Not sure where I'm going with this, maybe just that it's scary just how much violence we absorb.....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Cannot for the life of me understand why anybody would wish to purposely watch a second of it (or of the ISIS execution videos, etc).

Disturbing and baffling.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'll absolutely 100% not encourage you to watch it but I've watched a few of this type of thing, including this one - Don't ask me why, I honestly don't know - But you may be surprised about how desensitised you are to it if you've played shoot em up games, watched violent movies etc etc. Most adults can separate this from their moral compass but kids and 'vulnerable' adults are going to be influenced by it.

Not sure where I'm going with this, maybe just that it's scary just how much violence we absorb.....

I disagree with a lot of things you say but not this time.. You are absolutely spot on about being desensitized to this stuff. Have seen many gruesome videos in the past. It only takes one though to shock you. That happened to me recently. Even after 3 months it still plays on my mind this particular video. It made me ill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here