Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Bloody Sunday - Soldier to be prosecuted

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I’m done with this country now, is there no end to the betrayal?
I am politically homeless and really starting to loathe the nation I once served and loved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
That's not true.

There is currently an attempt to extradite John Downey so that he can stand trial for the murder of two British soldiers in 1972.

But how long has this been going on for? Presumably he is the Irish Republic?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Serving soldiers should never be immune from prosecution for firing into a group of civilians. Else where do you draw the line?

Whilst I would always support the military, and give them the benefit of the doubt when they are put in highly-charged situations, I also see what you are saying. When it then gets nasty, is when we suspect that less than enthusiastic efforts are made to bring IRA killers to justice, as the price of the Good Friday Agreement.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
you and i both know this is utter bollox.....they were put there by our govt. a lot of them were only 17 , 18 ......some didn't come back ....on this matter the left needs to button it.

I dont believe it will achieve anything by dragging him through the justice system after almost 50 years other than some comfort for the families of those killed that day
but, you and me dont get to decide who is dragged through the justice system.
As for the mistakes... well, if somebody is shot in the back, it makes it a difficult issue.
Incidentally, Im sure you consider me a 'lefty'. I served in the armed forces. Its not a left/right thing

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I dont believe it will achieve anything by dragging him through the justice system after almost 50 years other than some comfort for the families of those killed that day
but, you and me dont get to decide who is dragged through the justice system.
As for the mistakes... well, if somebody is shot in the back, it makes it a difficult issue.
Incidentally, Im sure you consider me a 'lefty'. I served in the armed forces. Its not a left/right thing

Yes, I know that you are leftie, but also that you served . . Yes, you are right - what is now to be gained? Is it in the public interest? I would not have thought so, given that I imagine the vast majority would see that the process would be one-sided.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
While I have every sympathy with the families of those killed it does seem to be one rule for the IRA and one for the British military. I thought the GFA effectively wiped the slate clean for both sides ?

Absolute disgrace IMO
This government shouldn't have let it get this far :tosser:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Disgusted by this betrayal of our soldiers. Surprised anyone wants to join up given the mess politicians like Blair put them in, the complete lack of kit they have to operate with and the shoddy after-care once left which is mostly left to charities to pick up. And repercussions that 50 years later can be dragged up - as if any scared kid, which they were at the time, acting under orders in a combat zone should be responsible for those events. Disgrace. Absolute disgrace.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
While I have every sympathy with the families of those killed it does seem to be one rule for the IRA and one for the British military. I thought the GFA effectively wiped the slate clean for both sides ?

Those murdered by the British Army that day were not members of the IRA.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
If a 77yr old soldier is to be prosecuted then any former IRA villain should also be fair game. I don't care about previous political conveniences!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
If a 77yr old soldier is to be prosecuted then any former IRA villain should also be fair game. I don't care about previous political conveniences!

Those murdered by the British Army that day were not members of the IRA.

Are you sure about that. How do you know? Being in the IRA was prohibited by law then and now. I’m sure that building barricades across a catholic estate and protesting british military presesence makes them blameless civilians in your eyes but...and it’s a big but..there were shots fired at British soldiers from behind those barricades by someone.

Those soldiers were kids with large calibre assault rifles. Throwing bricks at them and firing the odd round provoked a terrible response and people died. The IRA replied by killing kids and civvies in Birmingham, Rotherham, Brighton, London, Manchester and Christ knows where else.

War is hell. Get over it.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Are you sure about that. How do you know? Being in the IRA was prohibited by law then and now. I’m sure that building barricades across a catholic estate and protesting british military presesence makes them blameless civilians in your eyes but...and it’s a big but..there were shots fired at British soldiers from behind those barricades by someone.

Those soldiers were kids with large calibre assault rifles. Throwing bricks at them and firing the odd round provoked a terrible response and people died. The IRA replied by killing kids and civvies in Birmingham, Rotherham, Brighton, London, Manchester and Christ knows where else.

War is hell. Get over it.

:eek:.....Calm down dear. War is certainly hell and fairness should apply to the 'combatants' don't you think?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
:eek:.....Calm down dear. War is certainly hell and fairness should apply to the 'combatants' don't you think?

Ooh that’s waspish love. What I’m saying, to be clear, is this.

You are wrong.

Thank you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here