Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The thing is, while we know that the leave campaign cheated and the recent Arron Banks revelations are even more shocking - The real problem is that the eurosceptics have been 'cheating' for decades. As I alluded to elsewhere, for vast swathes of people, Europe and immigrants are to blame for all that is wrong in this country. Fundamentally, that's what won it for the leavers. I only hope that once Article 50 is canned and we have a second referendum, enough people will have seen that we may be better off remaining, after all.

Do you really think that? Do you not think that this assertion might just be that shade exaggerated? If you don't then such extremism is truly worrying.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
On a serious note, how can you not remember something so fundamental as hoping for another referendum so shortly after the first whilst then somehow finding justification today, you didn't really have any original 'justification' then as you don't today it's your way of deluding yourself that you are not anti democratic.

Well you claim not to remember telling Guy Butters (when he was posting on NSC under the user name Race) that he was completely wrong about what was happening in the Albion dressing room as you had impeccable sauces that told you otherwise. Then, when it was revealed that 'Race' was actually Guy Butters, our first choice centre back, you seemed to forget your login details for a long while. Now I thought that was quite memorable, not to mention hilarious.

I guess different people people forget different things :shrug:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Brexit at any cost? No, war, famine, nuclear annihilation etc no thanks. But I have long held the view that the UK is an outdated idea and that the 4 comprising nations (sorry Trig, England is a country! :ffsparr:) would evolve a more grown up relationship with one-another. Of course, if one is tied to past ideas of empire and glory, then the idea of the UK breaking up would be most unpalatable.

And who said the EU is evil? I certainly didn't and nor do I see it as a question of good and evil. It is a pity that such emotive terms are used as they do nothing to help the discussion.

Okay - I'm British, you're English, I understand.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Wow back at you.

No is the answer to your crass questions. Usual crap from a remainer.

Did I say I liked the balls up that the Government and the useless 'opposition' have manged to achieve/?

No, it's a disaster and an embarrassment. Do we agree on that?
Totally yes!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
We did when the Cold War was ongoing.

During the Cold War they'd have been handing out Hero of the Soviet Union medals for anyone involved in contributing to a mess like the one we find ourselves in now. They wouldn't have dreamed this possible.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
During the Cold War they'd have been handing out Hero of the Soviet Union medals for anyone involved in contributing to a mess like the one we find ourselves in now. They wouldn't have dreamed this possible.

Like they have to the two Soviets who visited Salisbury to see the famous spire? Perhaps not, because they failed in their mission.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This unprecedented period of division and chaos in our country is entirely the Tories' doing. No-one else's - it is literally entirely theirs. If you are in any way unconvinced I think it's time for a recap.

Firstly, Cameron decided to foist a referendum on us in the mistaken belief that it would settle the Tories' split on Europe once and for all by showing the 'Eurosceptics' that the majority wanted to stay in the EU. He never dreamed for an instant that the slavering bigots of the tabloid press, dark money and the likes of Cambridge Analytica would prove cleverer and more influential than his countless corporate backers when it came to influencing voters. A ghastly coalition of liars won the referendum in a welter of fake news and appalling xenophobia.

Then May called a snap general election in the mistaken belief (re-enforced, let us remember, by 99% of all known mainstream media) that she would trounce the 'unelectable' Jeremy Corbyn and gain the huge majority to complete Brexit in the way she wanted to. Instead she lost her slim majority and could only cling on to power by bribing the unspeakable 17th century boggle eyed rednecks of the DUP.

(An aside here: if you are going to inveigh against 'terrorist sympathisers' then the DUP are as much in that category as Sinn Fein. Of course, one person's 'terrorist sympathisers' are another woman's route to power in a country with a tame right wing press and cowed BBC. Imagine the utter furore if the situation had been reversed, Labour were the largest party and Corbyn then persuaded Sinn Fein to take their seats to give him a majority....)

And then May made the most appalling and yes, disloyal, unpatriotic decision of all the festering, diarrhoea sodden, burst colostomy bag in a leaking bucket of unspeakably crap decisions she has come up with in the past three years....

Instead of recognising the severity of the situation and reaching out to other parties, she put the interests of the Conservative Party above those of the country and allowed her Brexit strategy to be dictated by the appalling Lord Snooty Rees Mogg and the aforementioned DUP.

And that brings us on to the backstop issue. Let us not forget that the DUP are supposed to be representing a province which voted 63% to stay in the EU. Although a huge obstacle which needed to be high on the agenda in any Brexit negotiations, the Irish border issue had no real traction during what was (surprise, surprise) a thoroughly Anglocentric referendum campaign. So when it came up in Brussels the DUP, holding the balance of power in Parliament, could hold the country to ransom on the backstop issue to appease their ghastly followers with no problem at all - in no way reflecting the views of the vast majority of the people of Northern Ireland.

If May had reached out to other parties during negotiations and sidelined the slavering bigots on the Tory Right the DUP would have turned against her, binning her majority, and the Conservative Party would have split. As a literally lifelong Tory loyalist apparatchik devoid of empathy, humanity or imagination (those being self evidently the qualities required for that role) she was determined to avoid those eventualities at all costs.

Like Cameron who foisted the filthy referendum on us in the first place, she deliberately chose to split the country in two to avoid the Tory Party falling apart. Families and friendships torn asunder and British citizens literally fighting in streets and pubs is preferable to her than the end of the disgusting organisation to which she has dedicated her life.

I hope the Tory Party self-destructs anyway. I think it will. To coin a phrase, Parliament has to take back control now and save us from the abyss. There will be cross party co-operation and Lord Snooty won't like that. Rot in hell, Rees Mogg. Rot in hell.

And the rest of us? Weep, Britain, weep. And if you care about this country, as I most certainly do, remember what the Tories - no one else, just the selfish, self-obsessed, navel gazing Tory Party - have done to us and never, ever, ever vote for them again.

Sadly, they will get back in power as usual. Whoever leads the Labour Party will be targeted and smeared as is always the case, the whispers will be that they are a Russian Sympathiser and that they will bankrupt the country and that only the Tories are the party of good governance. After the way Thatcher sold off our country and de-unionised the country to leave just a few pockets of workers who can stand together we fell for it again.

The Bankers messed up the economy but those at the bottom have paid that price in the form of the slaughter of Public Services real term wage freezes and collapsing infrastructure. Yet, we are told Jeremy Corbyn's Labour Party will destroy the country ? There's not that much left to destroy anyway, but the press will take up the cudgel and we will all fall for it again.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Like they have to the two Soviets who visited Salisbury to see the famous spire? Perhaps not, because they failed in their mission.

During the 45 years of The Cold War, The Kremlin could never have envisaged this country ending up in the state it is now doing what it's doing to itself and it's neighbours.

They just need Scottish independence and Faslane closed and the strawberry is well and truly on top of the Pavlova.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
During the 45 years of The Cold War, The Kremlin could never have envisaged this country ending up in the state it is now doing what it's doing to itself and it's neighbours.

They just need Scottish independence and Faslane closed and the strawberry is well and truly on top of the Pavlova.

Quite a possibility.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Remain isn't specific. It doesn't cover future changes the EU might inflict upon us.

The options would have to be:
a).Remain (with a promise that we'll never join the Euro).
b).Remain (but with guaranteed no greater unification).
c).Remain (without a European army).
d),Remain (but without a & b)
e).Remain (but without a & c)
f).Remain (but without b & c)
g).Remain (but without a,b or c)

That would level the playing field somewhat - but I don't think our shyster parliamentarians would want a level playing field a second time around, would they.

Hmmmm....I get what you are saying but what about divorce versus stay married. Why qualify the latter with:

1. Married but with the option to change my mind if the missus shags my best mate
2. Married but with the option to change my mind if I simply get bored and fancy a change
3. Married but with the option to change my mind if I decide I'd like to be a bit gender fluid

Yes, I accept these are all unknowns and all possible but why torture yourself with any of these as opposed to the absurd

4. Let's just get divorced, **** it. Bound to be better than risk who knows what by staying married.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There was a 3rd GRU man with them that we haven't heard much about yet as well. Wonder what he was up to.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If that was Liam Fox trying to defend Brexit then we are truly f***ed, trying to find targets across the house when the real problem is very clearly behind him (the right emoji really hasn't been invented)

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I’d boycott like a lot of others. Can’t just change the goal posts because they didn’t like the first result.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The Extension is now off the table. No point in voting tomorrow on it.

My guess :

*No deal* - 90%
May's Deal (3rd attempt) - 5%
A50 Revocation - 5%

I don't mind for myself - no complaints, there have been plenty of good times. It breaks my heart for my young daughter.
The extension is certainly not off the table. Farage and his pals can get whatever assurances they like from Italy or Poland. The likelihood of them actually using their veto is minimal at best.

As mentioned, those who trust the word of a politician are naive. But those who trust the word of an Italian politician are completely insane.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hmmmm....I get what you are saying but what about divorce versus stay married. Why qualify the latter with:

1. Married but with the option to change my mind if the missus shags my best mate
2. Married but with the option to change my mind if I simply get bored and fancy a change
3. Married but with the option to change my mind if I decide I'd like to be a bit gender fluid

Yes, I accept these are all unknowns and all possible but why torture yourself with any of these as opposed to the absurd

4. Let's just get divorced, **** it. Bound to be better than risk who knows what by staying married.

Put me down for number four option then! :thumbsup:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

They can inflict all this without firing a shot.

Modern warfare, really.

Won't be long until a critical infrastructure cyber attack, sadly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here