Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Voted LEAVE the first time, would vote LEAVE the 2nd time.

Literally nothing has happened in the last couple of years that has made me even think about changing my vote - in fact the antics of the EU have reinforced my view.

The antics of the EU? Rather than the utter cluster**** of our own politicians? Do you walk around with a bag on your head and noise cancelling headphones, or perhaps just read The Daily Mail on a regular basis?

Either way.

Wow.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I would vote Remain AGAIN.

I am the biggest '' Corbanista '' On this Board - Apart from [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] probably

But even me myself I doubted if he was what the Labour party wanted and every time he was challenged I so wanted him to win again and he did and I was happy.

If the Conservative Party was behind Teresa May then her Party would have would have got hold of her and said to her '' Get this and I will support you '' They are leaving her to hang herself . Brexit is something that no one could achieve unscaved.

Theresa May went into this thinking she could be the ''UK Saviour'' Instead she has become a ''UK Laughing Stock'' - I never call for a Politician to resign because they have a misdemeanor with expenses or a prostitute or of that ilk because their private business is their business and their business alone ; however in this instance for me anyway. It has become clear. It is not the deal on offer that has been rejected. It is Theresa May herself. She has to now resign before we become the laughing stock of Europe.

BUT

please God NO - Don't replace her with Boris Johnson.

We need someone to go into Negotiations with someone who doesn't think we rule Europe but that we are bang smack in the middle of Europe, even though we do want to leave it.

I am so Pro Europe - but it is possible to leave the EU but still recognise that we both need each other.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Would remain but with a legally binding referendum on any and all of those propositions suffice? Because that is what was on offer last time.
He won't listen. Entrenched ideals are generally those of the old. Blinkered and unwilling to consider that they may have made a mistake.

The concept that being in an organisation, with the ability to change it by vote/veto etc is better than being outside of it but still massively affected by it's decisions is beyond some people. Because LEAVE MEANS LEAVE SO SHUT UP.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
There will be more bureaucracy for anyone exporting to the EU, and in many other aspects of business and life.

Exactly, bureaucracy is a modern fact of live and solicitors I know are simply preparing to write it back into UK law.

There are many good reasons to leave the EU, but for the hardliners in the Tory party - Brexit is simply a means to an end. They hate regulation of any kind. It's a race to the bottom.

This isn't project fear - it's project ideology. A hark bark to the bonkers economists in the 1980s whose dreams simply failed. Rees Mogg is having another go.

The EU is protectionist, of course it is, but so is any trading block. If you operate within it - you are protected. In the mind of Rees Mogg, if your industry is protected by a tariff into the EU then you are a failure and should go out of business.

Listen to him. He never talks about business - he only talks about consumers. When he talks about "sovereignty" he really means personal freedom and f### everyone else.

He isn't right wing at all, but dangerously neo-liberal. Survival of the fittest, especially if you have a few million in the bank to start with.

I'm amazed anyone has fallen for him and his other financier mates like Farage.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I am the biggest '' Corbanista '' On this Board - Apart from [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] probably

But even me myself I doubted if he was what the Labour party wanted and every time he was challenged I so wanted him to win again and he did and I was happy.

If the Conservative Party was behind Teresa May then her Party would have would have got hold of her and said to her '' Get this and I will support you '' They are leaving her to hang herself . Brexit is something that no one could achieve unscaved.

Theresa May went into this thinking she could be the ''UK Saviour'' Instead she has become a ''UK Laughing Stock'' - I never call for a Politician to resign because they have a misdemeanor with expenses or a prostitute or of that ilk because their private business is their business and their business alone ; however in this instance for me anyway. It has become clear. It is not the deal on offer that has been rejected. It is Theresa May herself. She has to now resign before we become the laughing stock of Europe.

BUT

We need someone to go into Negotiations with someone who doesn't think we rule Europe but that we are bang smack in the middle of Europe, even though we do want to leave it.

I am so Pro Europe - but it is possible to leave the EU but still recognise that we both need each other.

She has an impossible job. Good analysis on the news tonight. Opinions are so entrenched within Parliament it's difficult to see a way out.

If you listened to the nut-jobs on LBC (or NSC), it's all about the political class attempting to stop Brexit when in reality it's LEAVERS (including the leader of The Labour Party) failing to agree how hard (or soft) the fall out should be. You couldn't make it up.

Extremists always end up disagreeing with each other.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
which would be England, not the result you meant i presume? (Elizabeth's grandmother was half Croatian and bit German, if thats what you allude to)

I also don't expect her to start the sentence like Bruce Willis on Christmas Eve, just in case that needed clearing up, as well.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've always believed we shouldn't be part of the EU long before Boris, Farage and the Russians got involved so I would vote Leave again.

And for the love of god, stop calling it 'The Peoples Vote' !!!!!!!!

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Remain isn't specific. It doesn't cover future changes the EU might inflict upon us.

The options would have to be:
a).Remain (with a promise that we'll never join the Euro).
b).Remain (but with guaranteed no greater unification).
c).Remain (without a European army).
d),Remain (but without a & b)
e).Remain (but without a & c)
f).Remain (but without b & c)
g).Remain (but without a,b or c)

That would level the playing field somewhat - but I don't think our shyster parliamentarians would want a level playing field a second time around, would they.
Yeah, something like that. Keep it simples eh.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Will today finally be the day when anyone comparing “no deal” in this situation to “no deal” when buying a car will be called out and ridiculed in the way they deserve? I don’t mean someone just pointing out they are different, I mean someone getting really stuck into them about how little they understand what no deal means. No deal in this context is as far away from the status quo as we could get. No deal in a normal sense = status quo. It is not complicated.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I don't where you managed to conjure up your reply in response to my post re bureaucracy. I'm talking about the structure of the organisation rather than the inept politicians that you're referring to. I honestly do believe we'll prosper ok in the big wide world without the constraints put on trade by the EU.

Again you genuinely believe that being out leads to less bureaucracy? If our lot can’t agree on what out/leave looks like what makes you think they’ll agree on trade deals/tariffs/quotas/regulation looks like in that world?

To say we’ll be better off on our own ‘because we’ll be in control’ is so naive. We’ll have twice the bureaucracy and none of the benefit of shared fiscal burden.

To trade successfully we’ll be forced to adopt similar/same policy/regulation on most if not all industries but have to foot the cost of implementation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
If it had been up to me I wouldn’t have let the public vote on it at all. How many people actually had any comprehension of what they were actually voting for? I didn’t.

extend your argument . ask the question how many MP’s actually had or even have any comprehension of what was being voted for

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And to think [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION] once criticised me for saying Country in Crisis and Britain on the Brink. I can think of no other way to describe a nation with a leader who has no power and no authority whatsoever.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Of course there is, it was always going to be that. There was never a scenario where a leave vote was going to be easily delivered.

We have to trust Parliament though. MPs come and go over generations, but Parliament stands. I really don't like to see our democracy denigrated in the way it is experiencing. It is bringing out the patriotism in me, but there is also great hypocrisy in voting to leave the EU for our supreme sovereignty but rubbishing that same sovereignty because it is not enacting exactly what you want.

I don't agree that it is hypocritical to expect the MP's to carry out what they said they'd carry out. Parliament is a wonderful institution, but it is the MP's who have let the public down in this case, no wonder people are cross and have lost faith.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'd probably spoil my paper. I don't really give a shit anymore, our political system is broken.
I still disagree with the direction the EU is heading and think it will ultimately end in tears, like it already has for Greece.

But the last two years have shown that the EU is structured in a way makes it very difficult to leave, to do it without causing major hardship you would need all UK politicians, civil servants and the media pulling in the same direction, which isn't going to happen.

To give an analogy, you couldn't have a war with another country whilst simultaneously fighting a civil war at home, and that's effectively what's been happening.

At this point I hope they sign up to a customs union so at least we'll always have one for out the door. Europhile politicians sold us down the river when they signed the Lisbon Treaty, there's no turning back.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Can there be an option in the second referendum to vote for no more referendums ever as we have successfully proved as a nation we can’t be trusted with them or indeed accepting the outcome. And god only knows the money we have waisted.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

BUT

likewise Europe doesn’t RULE us, works both ways.
I voted out first time around and if there were another vote I’d vote the same and think the leave vote would increase.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So whatever happened to the EU blinking at the 11th hour? Any Brexiters on here still convinced they still implode as they need us more than we need them?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I've always believed we shouldn't be part of the EU long before Boris, Farage and the Russians got involved so I would vote Leave again.

And for the love of god, stop calling it 'The Peoples Vote' !!!!!!!!

Russian involved????

Involved in what?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
They very fact people still think voting matters/counts is quite strange really.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Two weeks or there about and it is still a complete unknown I think the origional timetable was for the withdrawl deal to be signed off by Christmas 2018 and by now we should be well into substantive trade talks

Our Parliment is a busted flush the building its antiquated procedures are no longer fit for purpose and needs to be swept away

I just watched a rerun of last evenings Newsnight and everything about Parliment has failed guest after guest politians, journalists the policticI class the establiment all out there being interviewed on college green exposed to the elements as the building is not large enough to allow interviews within its walls other than the lobby,

The chamber itself is not large enough to sit all the MPs while most MPs are forced to share offices such is the lack of space, when in the chamber MPs are lined up to ensure friction which makes for little more than great TV

None of this is conducive to good government in the modern day and is part of our broken political system

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here