Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Add me to the NSC runners team for the quiz, [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]! I know some things, but not all that many. :blush:

Another decent week for me this week, so far - swimming this morning was the opposite of fun but I got it done. Might not be a parkrun tomorrow, though - my plan is quite specific on not doing any further parkrun racing until race day. My plan for tomorrow is a 20 minute warm up, 5 miles at 8:00 minutes per mile, and then 20 minutes cool down. I could run a 20 minute parkrun as a warm up, and then slow down the pace for the session element of it. We'll see what tomorrow brings!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Add me to the NSC runners team for the quiz, [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]! I know some things, but not all that many. :blush:

Another decent week for me this week, so far - swimming this morning was the opposite of fun but I got it done. Might not be a parkrun tomorrow, though - my plan is quite specific on not doing any further parkrun racing until race day. My plan for tomorrow is a 20 minute warm up, 5 miles at 8:00 minutes per mile, and then 20 minutes cool down. I could run a 20 minute parkrun as a warm up, and then slow down the pace for the session element of it. We'll see what tomorrow brings!
[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] The Super Egg Heads team is ready! Room for one more....

Wise to give parkrun a miss. I'll do a gentle Hove Park tomorrow on the lookout for Ben Elton's brother to do some quiz press ganging. I'll be going flat out on the Prom on the week after. Then stick to recovery Parkruns till after BM.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Wise to give parkrun a miss. I'll do a gentle Hove Park tomorrow on the lookout for Ben Elton's brother to do some quiz press ganging. I'll be going flat out on the Prom on the week after. Then stick to recovery Parkruns till after BM.

You'll do well to spot me gaffer, at Parkrun O'clock I'll be having a fry up before beers and a trip to Selhurst, all part of my planned BM training schedule of course...

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Had the 19 miler today. Was keeping a decent pace going until about mile 14 and then things again got really tough and mile times were upping big time.

Finished in 2:54 in the end. I have this major issue that when I get really tired my brain just fills with negativity, so by the end instead of thinking "well done I ran 19 miles today", I just think why did I slow down so much and that I never want to run again haha.

Still undecided on marathon, but got time to decide. Enjoying trying to improve the 5k time week by week, just need to try and switch my mental state at the end of these long runs,.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Had the 19 miler today. Was keeping a decent pace going until about mile 14 and then things again got really tough and mile times were upping big time.

Finished in 2:54 in the end. I have this major issue that when I get really tired my brain just fills with negativity, so by the end instead of thinking "well done I ran 19 miles today", I just think why did I slow down so much and that I never want to run again haha.

Still undecided on marathon, but got time to decide. Enjoying trying to improve the 5k time week by week, just need to try and switch my mental state at the end of these long runs,.

Well done - look on it as two positives, firstly you ran 19 miles and nearly three hours on your feet (if alone then this is even more of an achievement), secondly a bad run is a hugely valuable learning experience- and so much better in training when it does not matter than on marathon day itself.
What did you learn? Start more slowly? Need more gels or water? Or just a bad day at the office?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

How are you fuelling ?

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
How are you fuelling ?

Well done - look on it as two positives, firstly you ran 19 miles and nearly three hours on your feet (if alone then this is even more of an achievement), secondly a bad run is a hugely valuable learning experience- and so much better in training when it does not matter than on marathon day itself.
What did you learn? Start more slowly? Need more gels or water? Or just a bad day at the office?

Yeah and its the furthest I have run since the marathon in 2015. I felt really good at the start and probably did set off a little quick but the speed at which all energy seems to drain from my body is alarming. Mile 13 ok, mile 14 its like im all out of everything.

In terms of refueling, I never usually eat before a run but this morning had a coffee and banana on toast hour before I set off, as been reading how important that is pre long runs. I found the gels have made me feel sick before so tried these on the run today:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006DHUQHG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again though, I end up feeling sick when it starts to get tough which puts me off eating anything and probably explains running out of energy so quick.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
For the Quiz night a NSC runner's team would be good. At the moment I'll be a floater and however many we get from here I can join to make a team or leave if we have 4 already. So 2 more NSC runners would be good.
Also spread the word around as Quiz maestro Tufty deserves a big crowd and the Martlets deserves the money.
]

Sorry - good cause, but I’ll be in the Algarve for a week of warm weather marathon training in build up to London ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah and its the furthest I have run since the marathon in 2015. I felt really good at the start and probably did set off a little quick but the speed at which all energy seems to drain from my body is alarming. Mile 13 ok, mile 14 its like im all out of everything.

In terms of refueling, I never usually eat before a run but this morning had a coffee and banana on toast hour before I set off, as been reading how important that is pre long runs. I found the gels have made me feel sick before so tried these on the run today:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006DHUQHG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again though, I end up feeling sick when it starts to get tough which puts me off eating anything and probably explains running out of energy so quick.

You’re basically hitting the (not mythical at all) wall I think. The body can store enough glycogen for about 2 hours effort.....if you’re running at a glycogen-burning intensity, after that length of time you’ll bonk without topping it up. So :

-run slower on your long runs. That way you’ll dip more into a fat-burning zone rather than glycogen and keep going longer

-find a fuel that works (partly what training runs are for). There are huge varieties of gels to try, some may make you feel sick, others not so. It’s also complicated in that if your electrolyte balance gets out of kilter, your stomach won’t cope with the input (may be why you’re feeling sick). Normal food is also worth trying - high energy stuff like flapjacks for example.

-make sure you drink enough - ideally including some electrolytes, or (as I do) take an SCap every hour and just water. You should be drinking 500-750ml an hour in normal conditions.

Getting fuelling right is one of the hardest parts of distance running, and very easy to **** it up (I have loads). Keep trying things out........

Oh....and carb loading is bollocks. The body will only store the same amount of glycogen no matter how much you stuff in beforehand

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
All the above Rich Sea. Aiming at sub 4 I train with over half the mileage at 45 secs to 1 minute over planned marathon pace. A lot of 10" miles and Sundays 18 miles in 3 hours is not to be feared. These LSD, long slow distance, runs promote fat burning for fuel which is a must for a skinny ****, like me, with high metabolism.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
All the above Rich Sea. Aiming at sub 4 I train with over half the mileage at 45 secs to 1 minute over planned marathon pace. A lot of 10" miles and Sundays 18 miles in 3 hours is not to be feared. These LSD, long slow distance, runs promote fat burning for fuel which is a must for a skinny ****, like me, with high metabolism.

Spot on....although last time I saw you in a marathon we were both virtually on our hands and knees about 8 miles from the finish :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

You’re basically hitting the (not mythical at all) wall I think. The body can store enough glycogen for about 2 hours effort.....if you’re running at a glycogen-burning intensity, after that length of time you’ll bonk without topping it up. So :

-run slower on your long runs. That way you’ll dip more into a fat-burning zone rather than glycogen and keep going longer

-find a fuel that works (partly what training runs are for). There are huge varieties of gels to try, some may make you feel sick, others not so. It’s also complicated in that if your electrolyte balance gets out of kilter, your stomach won’t cope with the input (may be why you’re feeling sick). Normal food is also worth trying - high energy stuff like flapjacks for example.

-make sure you drink enough - ideally including some electrolytes, or (as I do) take an SCap every hour and just water. You should be drinking 500-750ml an hour in normal conditions.

Getting fuelling right is one of the hardest parts of distance running, and very easy to **** it up (I have loads). Keep trying things out........

Oh....and carb loading is bollocks. The body will only store the same amount of glycogen no matter how much you stuff in beforehand

Fuelling is a PITA and I'm still struggling with it, but it's really important to find something that works for you. I don't reackon any two runners are the same. I'm lucky in that a cyclist mate of mine recommended SIS Orange when I did my last marathon and I got on with them immediately, but I can't do HI 5 which means I'm once again going our with a belt stuffed full of my own gels on race day. Even then, at Brighton Half I made the mistake of combining it with Lucozade Sport which equalled too much sugar, gagging, reducing intake and cramping in the sun. I'm back to water with them. The mate I run with raves about Shot Bloks but can't take gels. I remember talking to someone in Run years ago who swore that Shot Bloks would make you puke crimson. The one thing most people do seem to get on with are jelly babies or Haribo.

I wouldn't do a run longer that 2 hours (or 90 mins at high intensity) without something to top up. I even had a gel during Bright10 (1hr 21).

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fuelling is a PITA and I'm still struggling with it, but it's really important to find something that works for you. I don't reackon any two runners are the same. I'm lucky in that a cyclist mate of mine recommended SIS Orange when I did my last marathon and I got on with them immediately, but I can't do HI 5 which means I'm once again going our with a belt stuffed full of my own gels on race day. Even then, at Brighton Half I made the mistake of combining it with Lucozade Sport which equalled too much sugar, gagging, reducing intake and cramping in the sun. I'm back to water with them. The mate I run with raves about Shot Bloks but can't take gels. I remember talking to someone in Run years ago who swore that Shot Bloks would make you puke crimson. The one thing most people do seem to get on with are jelly babies or Haribo.

I wouldn't do a run longer that 2 hours (or 90 mins at high intensity) without something to top up. I even had a gel during Bright10 (1hr 21).

And there, in a nutshell, you have it. I get on ok with shotbloks, SiS gels make me puke but Gu gels are fine as long as I take on enough water. A lot of my ultra running buddies rave about Tailwind (‘perfect mix of carbs and electrolytes’)........tried it on 3 races in varying concentrations, puked EVERY SINGLE TIME. Experiment on your training runs......find out what works (something will).

Edit - lucozade gels are shit [emoji23][emoji23]

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
And there, in a nutshell, you have it. I get on ok with shotbloks, SiS gels make me puke but Gu gels are fine as long as I take on enough water. A lot of my ultra running buddies rave about Tailwind (‘perfect mix of carbs and electrolytes’)........tried it on 3 races in varying concentrations, puked EVERY SINGLE TIME. Experiment on your training runs......find out what works (something will).

Edit - lucozade gels are shit [emoji23][emoji23]

May be irrelevant but I did a 6 hour track endurance event last week. The aid station (obviously every 400m) was basically a pick n mix shop.....I ignored it and fuelled on peanut butter wraps and sections of pork pie. Managed to run 10 min miles , had no cramp, no stomach issues and finished feeling pretty ok. I took an Scap every hour and loads of water throughout

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

It's far easier said than done, keeping yourself ticking over for that period of time and travelling that distance. On race day you'll not have to worry about stopping at any point, everything is closed off for you and all the way around you get people cheering for you. Not to mention the water stations and, hopefully, the shower on the way out to the power station.

Runs like today, this far out from race day, will be huge beneficial to you. Remember today when you get to the race day. :thumbsup:

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Thanks all for advice. Been having a look online for belts which are good for bottles as I just can’t carry enough liquid around at the moment, anyone have any recommendations?

Will also have a look at other options to eat on the way around. Maybe try the blocks?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks all for advice. Been having a look online for belts which are good for bottles as I just can’t carry enough liquid around at the moment, anyone have any recommendations?

Will also have a look at other options to eat on the way around. Maybe try the blocks?

Training runs...put a couple of quid in a pocket and stop at a shop and buy water/a mars bar/bag of nuts

Marathons- stop at the aid stations and eat stuff

I’ve got a range of belts and vests that I use depending on run length......

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

I use a camelback rather than a belt. Amazed how comfortable and light it is and I really don’t notice it while running. Best thing is it’s so easy to take sips from as you go. Cotswold Camping on Western Rd have a good selection. Evans Cycles was also good but they seem to generally be carrying lower stocks of everything now.
Sweatshop usually have Shotblocks - personally I like these long with Gu gels but it’s definitely down to personal preference.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here