Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matthias Normann

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Rumours at the Russian end are approx £1.5m for him. I thought I read that we'd paid ~£1m when we brought him in, so possibly a slight "profit"?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Rumours at the Russian end are approx £1.5m for him. I thought I read that we'd paid ~£1m when we brought him in, so possibly a slight "profit"?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

The only reference I found to a fee when we purchased him was from the Argus; a couple of days before his transfer was confirmed they reported that we were closing in on his signature "..for a six-figure fee..".

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Steven Alzate, Archie Davies and Jordan Davies are all older than Max Sanders.

Will Collar, Ben Hall and Soufyan Ahannach are all older than Viktor Gyokeres.

Not quite sure what point you are making - the likes of Ben Barclay, Will Collar, Ben Hall, Soufyan Ahannach and Mathias Normann are all in the equivalent of their fourth season of being a full-time professional. Jordan Maguire-Drew, Ben White, James Tilley, George Cox etc are all in their third year of being a full professional player. If a club hasn't figured out by this stage whether they are going to make it, it shouldn't have an academy.

These players are all likely to be (injury permitting) out on loan or on the fringes of the first-team squad. They aren't going to remain in the development squad forever, just so that we get decent results at U-23 level. The U-23 side has two purposes - to produce players for the first team and to fatten players for market. There is always going to be churn every season.

Amended for you.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Steven Alzate, Archie Davies and Jordan Davies are all older than Max Sanders.

Will Collar, Ben Hall and Soufyan Ahannach are all older than Viktor Gyokeres.

Not quite sure what point you are making - the likes of Ben Barclay, Will Collar, Ben Hall, Soufyan Ahannach and Mathias Normann are all in the equivalent of their fourth season of being a full-time professional. Jordan Maguire-Drew, Ben White, James Tilley, George Cox etc are all in their third year of being a full professional player. If a club hasn't figured out by this stage whether they are going to make it, it shouldn't have an academy.

These players are all likely to be (injury permitting) out on loan or on the fringes of the first-team squad. They aren't going to remain in the development squad forever, just so that we get decent results at U-23 level. The U-23 side has one purpose - produce players for the first team. There is always going to be churn every season.

Point I was trying to make albeit clumsily, was that the U23’s are going to have a youthful (even more than usual) look to them for the remainder of their season. Which will be good experience for those U18/16’s that step up and will be interesting for us supporters to see how they get on.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
3 or 4 years ago when these players came in, they needed to become decent Championship players to get a chance in the squad. Now those same players have to beat out a very deep squad of decent Premier League players so it's a much tougher ask!

If we can sell most of the foreigners on for a profit and turn most of the locals into Championship players instead of League 1 or 2 players, then we'll be making money. Just need to also make 1 of each into a first teamer every 5 years or so and it would be major success.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
By my calculations we only have 12 available outfield players in the U19/20/21/22/23 age brackets.

Collar, Gyökeres, J. Davies, A. Davies, Sanders, O'Hora, Moore, Ljubicic, Ostigard, Radulovic, Cochrane, Tomlinson.

Obviously we can supplement that with U18s and there's a few who'll hopefully be returning from injury in the not too distant future (Ahannach, Molumby, Araujo & Connolly). I think Hall & Alzate are out for a bit longer. Given Bojan wasn't back from his loan spell, Gyökeres was with the first team and the U18s had the youth cup game you can see why we were struggling to put a side together for Eastbourne in the Sussex Senior Cup.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
By my calculations we only have 12 available outfield players in the U19/20/21/22/23 age brackets.

Collar, Gyökeres, J. Davies, A. Davies, Sanders, O'Hora, Moore, Ljubicic, Ostigard, Radulovic, Cochrane, Tomlinson.

Obviously we can supplement that with U18s and there's a few who'll hopefully be returning from injury in the not too distant future (Ahannach, Molumby, Araujo & Connolly). I think Hall & Alzate are out for a bit longer. Given Bojan wasn't back from his loan spell, Gyökeres was with the first team and the U18s had the youth cup game you can see why we were struggling to put a side together for Eastbourne in the Sussex Senior Cup.
That lot (including Gyokeres -20 minutes against WBA won't have knackered him, ffs!) plus a few U18s. What's the problem?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

That lot (including Gyokeres -20 minutes against WBA won't have knackered him, ffs!) plus a few U18s. What's the problem?

Albion in recent seasons have consistently played a youthful side in the SSC. Five of the outfield starters for the victory over Hastings United in the 3rd round in December (and all 4 outfield subs) were involved in the FA Youth Cup tie at Manchester United. I think it's pretty clear that is the reason Albion requested the Eastbourne Town tie be re-arranged - most of their preferred squad were in action only two days before.

The real question is - why was the Eastbourne tie arranged for that date in the first place? Albion confirmed the date of the Man Utd FA Youth Cup tie on January 3rd. The Eastbourne Town fixture was only confirmed on January 15th. (And postponed just a week later).

I can fully understand Eastbourne Town manager John Lambert's frustration at the re-arrangement; the thing could have been handled a whole lot better.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Looks like it’s a shame he didn’t get to play under Potter, we could have had another break through.

Probably would have been shipped out on loan like Molumby and Sanders.

The U23s coaching team have done a great job, and to be fair Normann was never that impressive, compared to the others. Good range of passing, but had a mistake in him. However, at his age it’s all about learning....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Probably would have been shipped out on loan like Molumby and Sanders.

The U23s coaching team have done a great job, and to be fair Normann was never that impressive, compared to the others. Good range of passing, but had a mistake in him. However, at his age it’s all about learning....

He was shipped out on loan to Molde, who at the time were managed by Solskjaer.

Always looked tidy but seemed to struggle when asked to play higher pace against more physical players. Maybe this has improved in his time in Russia. Honestly I think letting him go was the right move for both parties at the time and yes, let’s hope we have a sell on!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He was shipped out on loan to Molde, who at the time were managed by Solskjaer.

Always looked tidy but seemed to struggle when asked to play higher pace against more physical players. Maybe this has improved in his time in Russia. Honestly I think letting him go was the right move for both parties at the time and yes, let’s hope we have a sell on!

Initially he was, but wasn’t he with us towards the end of tenure. About a season and a half or am I imagining it?

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Initially he was, but wasn’t he with us towards the end of tenure. About a season and a half or am I imagining it?

I think he spent his last half a season with us playing U23s and looked good, but was already 21 or 22 by that stage. Left because it was time for him to play first team football at a decent level.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hopefully we have a reasonable sell on clause as he could be sold for a large fee this window.

I haven't been able to find any reporting of one though.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hopefully we have a reasonable sell on clause as he could be sold for a large fee this window.

I haven't been able to find any reporting of one though.

I’m sure we did (fingers crossed). We made a very small profit on a good player. I suspect that’s because the sell-on is good similar to the reported Cook deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here