Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Injury Time Yesterday

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I thought the officials had, in general, a good game yesterday. The ref was clearly not interested in awarding free kicks due to diving and was not about to hand out unwarranted cards; the game flowed well.

However, there was a delay due to an injury to a West Brom player for around 3mins in the 2nd half (around the 83rd minute).

Added to the 5 substitutions, I’d justifiably calculated that we should have had at least 5mins of time added. This was crucial because I’d noticed an increased determinism and drive from our boys towards the end. I was looking forward to a last minute winner!

And what happened?

3mins announced and only 2 1/2 mins played.

Really ****ed me off.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
If we’d had another 90 minutes injury time we probably wouldn’t have scored. Just a few more mazy runs around the opposition’s box.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yes agree on this.

Was amazed at 3 minutes. There was more than one stoppage and as you say 5 subs.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If we’d had another 90 minutes injury time we probably wouldn’t have scored. Just a few more mazy runs around the opposition’s box.

That’s the reality, sure, but football is about hope. I was denied 2 1/2 minutes of hope at the end! Blind, crazy, unwarranted hope maybe, but hope all the same.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Odd given it took at least a minute for their keeper to compose himself before each goalkick

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's never a precise calculations. Some commentator or other made a comment once estimating about 30secs for a goal and 30secs for a substitution and that idea took hold and a lot of people seem to think it is a standard. It isn't. One of West Brom's subs was for a player who was already off the pitch due to injury, he came on in seconds (after a false start because, I think, the fourth official didn't immediately realise the injured player was already off the pitch). But certainly didn't take 30secs. A certain amount of time is allowed to pass in any circumstance (sub, goal, set piece, injury) before the ref should start noting time to be added on. These are all natural occurrences in football, and so a degree of time lost to them is generally expected and accepted.

The other substitutions didn't stick out as taking a particularly long time in my memory, so perhaps the ref didn't feel the need to add time on for them. Maybe the injury you timed at 3 minutes, the ref allowed 30-60 seconds before adding time.

The concerning issue would be indicating "a minimum of" 3 minutes, then not playing that minimum. I can only suggest perhaps the board went up a little late so while we played 2.5minutes from when the board went up, it was actually 3min(+?) from 90mins? Were you going by the clocks on the big screens without the seconds, so not knowing if the 90mins were up on 16:46:00 or 16:46:25?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I thought the officials had, in general, a good game yesterday. The ref was clearly not interested in awarding free kicks due to diving and was not about to hand out unwarranted cards; the game flowed well.

However, there was a delay due to an injury to a West Brom player for around 3mins in the 2nd half (around the 83rd minute).

Added to the 5 substitutions, I’d justifiably calculated that we should have had at least 5mins of time added. This was crucial because I’d noticed an increased determinism and drive from our boys towards the end. I was looking forward to a last minute winner!

And what happened?

3mins announced and only 2 1/2 mins played.

Really ****ed me off.

I agree re his timekeeping. I thought Locadia should have probably had a penalty too when he was wrestled to the ground in the 2nd half. Surprised too that Lee Mason didn't check with VAR.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
There was about 30 seconds of blatant time-wasting during the 'minimum of' 3 minutes added time and he STILL blew early.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It's never a precise calculation........Were you going by the clocks on the big screens without the seconds, so not knowing if the 90mins were up on 16:46:00 or 16:46:25?

Yes. Watched the screen match time figure change to 90. Then looked at the time on the screen clock - 16:47 and assumed we’d go till 16:50. Ref blew at 16:49.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes. Watched the big clock change to 90. Looked st the time - 16:47 and assumed we’d go till 16:50. Ref blew at 16:49.

Fair enough. To be honest, I'm not as outraged by it because I didn't think we'd score if we had that extra 30+ seconds, and the game just seemed to get worse the longer it went on (I was feeling quite positive about it in the first 20-30 minutes) so was personally just happy to see it end.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Are you advocating a large clock displayed that stops when the ball is not in play or when a player goes down injured, which could be operated by the 4th official. There would then be no confusion and everybody would know when the clock has been stopped.

He could also stop it when the sub board is raised and restart when play restarts so nothing gained by players taking ages to walk across the pitch to be subbed.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Are you advocating a large clock displayed that stops when the ball is not in play or when a player goes down injured, which could be operated by the 4th official. There would then be no confusion and everybody would know when the clock has been stopped.

He could also stop it when the sub board is raised and restart when play restarts so nothing gained by players taking ages to walk across the pitch to be subbed.

A running / stopping clock works well in basketball and would stop time wasting my concern would be that ninety minutes could last three hours. I'm sure I read somewhere that in a standard game of ninety minutes the ball is only in play for sixty five minutes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was more aiming at stopping the clock when play stops for an injury or substitution as i am sure thst it wouldnt be feasible or work everytime the ball goes out of play.

I thing I would take from rugby is that time is called when the ball goes out of play or the play stops after the ref decides it is time rather than 20 secs after an attack or corner as often happens now.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

There may be something in that you suggest. Certainly in this day and age with modern technology at his dsposal, there may well be some way of the referee stopping the clock on display when he stops his own watch. That way there would never be any dispute.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Maybe the ref thought a replay at a championship ground against prem opposition would be an attractive game to have as a mid week televised game on the BBC / Sky/ BT etc (delete as applicable) looking at results so far this weekend I'd say our game would be the most attractive eh? Let's hope for positive outcomes for today's games.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here