Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Warm Weather Training

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Worked for West Ham last year didn't it?, I remember they got slated for taking a warm weather break but they came back and started winning games (If I recall)

It also didn't work for West Brom - who if i recall, came back to the embarrassment of their players having stolen a taxi...

Although, they did win their next game IIRC - against.... US :eek:

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I quoted you as well, because, as this subsequent post confirms, you still seem to think that the players will universally WELCOME being away from their families / partners for a spell (in a nice hotel room). I simply don't agree - I'm sure that most would rather stick to the usual routine, given the choice. So for those players, it is absolutely NOT 'a carrot'.

Exactly. If people really think someone like Murray would rather be sharing a hotel room with a smelly man under the 24/7 watch of the club staff rather than being at home with his family and walking the dog, then they've seemingly mistaken our squad for a bunch of teens off on their first 18-30.

The absolute last thing I'd want to do is spend any more time with work colleagues, especially if that meant being away from loved ones and unable to do the things I love.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If a few nights away from their homes and families gets then out of this rut, them I’m all for it. Any cost of the trip is insignificant in comparison to the 1.5m a week that the club pays in wages. And it’ll certainly be insignificant if it makes the difference between PL football and Championship football next year.

It’s a training camp away from the usual distractions, not a holiday.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Exactly. If people really think someone like Murray would rather be sharing a hotel room with a smelly man under the 24/7 watch of the club staff rather than being at home with his family and walking the dog, then they've seemingly mistaken our squad for a bunch of teens off on their first 18-30.

The absolute last thing I'd want to do is spend any more time with work colleagues, especially if that meant being away from loved ones and unable to do the things I love.
For twice my annual income in my pocket every week, I think I could tolerate it fairly well.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Doesn't warmer weather help with muscle injuries? It seems one or two of our players are playing with niggling injuries and a few days in the sun, and warmth whilst training may help?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I too feel for them, footballers get to spend so little time with their families. I understand training often doesn't finish till nearly lunchtime.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
A lot of jealousy in this thread. Some people are born with exceptional talents that people are prepared to pay a lot of money for; deal with it.

Last edited:

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
A lot of jealousy in this thread. Some people are born with exceptional talents that people are prepared to pay a lot of money for; deal with it.

Well according to a lot of people on here at least 50% of the squad are not exceptionally talented.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Well according to a lot of people on here at least 50% of the squad are not exceptionally talented.

And !00% of us pay for it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think the real point of it is the "training" or the "warm weather", I just think it's beneficial for them to be together morning, noon and night, having the chance to discuss stuff away from the intensity of training or matches. Normally I guess they all just do the prescribed training and then disappear off to their big houses.

Hopefully they'll take along a sports psychologist to work through as a group why they invariably play complete pantalones away from home

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I will stand alone and say its a good thing! It feels unpalatable to us as supporters, because it is so at odds with our norms. If you're looking for things to change, then a change in environment can hep break normal patterns, normal thinking and a break from normal performance. How much you're paid, however good the normal environment is for work, doesn't make you immune to the impact that simple routine can have. A chance for the team to be together in a different environment, under different circumstances may help strengthen the team ethic, one of our strengths in recent years I would suggest. Not so different than a pre-season training camp in the sun?

Blimey! Somebody talking some sense at last!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I will stand alone and say its a good thing! It feels unpalatable to us as supporters, because it is so at odds with our norms. If you're looking for things to change, then a change in environment can hep break normal patterns, normal thinking and a break from normal performance. How much you're paid, however good the normal environment is for work, doesn't make you immune to the impact that simple routine can have. A chance for the team to be together in a different environment, under different circumstances may help strengthen the team ethic, one of our strengths in recent years I would suggest. Not so different than a pre-season training camp in the sun?

Aye. bunch of grumpy old gits on here.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
After the run of below par performances the club should be paying for those who've sat through the games to go on a warm weather jolly.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
After the run of below par performances the club should be paying for those who've sat through the games to go on a warm weather jolly.

I needed some sun and warmth after Saturday... what a stinker of a day!

As for the players and warm weather training - I couldn't give a monkeys if they go from Monday to Friday every single week throughout the season if it helps them win games.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Totally agree, our facilities have everything they need. It's a bit of R&R with training attached, dressing it up any other way is just naive

Sharing rooms in a local Holiday Inn Express too? They will be going to top class facilities and paying top dollar (euro) too. That said cost isn't the issue

Why do they use Holiday Inn for away games then and share rooms? Obviously the rooms will not be basic bed only but no need for super luxury suites, which they wont have.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here