Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Liam neeson

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
it wasn't even really about race, although naturally everyone has made it about race. It was about revenge, and revenge against innocent people by association.

Tell us how he was looking to select those ‘innocent people’, and then explain for us how it wasn’t ‘about race’. :mad:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No, it doesn't make me uncomfortable, but Mo makes me more comfortable, and there is no sane reason for it. Have you never met some one and felt they were particularly warm and friendly? It does not mean that you find all others cold and standoffish. Dig down in there and somewhere you will find a small prejudice, everybody has them, but maybe just the more evolved can recognise them.

You're talking shit.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Sorry, but if someone raped my female friend the first question to spring from my lips would not be "Was he bald?" ???

I'm not going to labour the point, but stating someone is black in a description is not racist, nor is asking what colour they were. Going out looking for a black man to beat to death is the part which is very wrong, but then again going out looking for a ginger haired bloke, a Northern bloke, a Chinese (sorry, East Asian) bloke - or any other bloke to beat to death is wrong.

However, after all that said - he has admitted it was wrong!

Agreed, for me the claim that Neeson is racist would have more ground if his friend has said that it was a white man who raped her and he then went out and looked for a black man to attack. THAT would be racist, his actions were just stupid with a very large capital S...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If think if you had a daughter or a wife killed or brutally raped by Muslims you would feel some anger at Muslims/Islam or suspicious. I'm not saying you would go out and look for "street justice" but I think you would mistrust them or at best feel slightly uncomfortable when you passed a Muslim in the street. People can get over that anger but I think for a lot of people there would be anger even if that anger never manifested itself only by negative thoughts.

But bearing in mind that hasn't happened to me, why would whether someone introduces themselves as Mo or Mohammed bother me?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You're talking shit.

What, that you have a prejudice or two in there somewhere? I reckon it is more likely you are not being honest with yourself, than that there is not a single remnant of a prejudice in you.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I'm struggling to understand here about the 'racism' aspect. If you were a victim of, or affected by, a crime from an identifiable visual indicator minority (Muslim, hindu, white, asian, african) isn't it human nature to then have a distaste (rational or not) of those that represent that image, whether fair or not?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
But bearing in mind that hasn't happened to me, why would whether someone introduces themselves as Mo or Mohammed bother me?

Dude, your turning what I said into something else, you should not be bothered, I should not be bothered, I am not bothered particularly, but there is a subtle difference to me that I noticed, and I mention it precisely because it should not make a difference. Stop acting fully formed and the finished paragon of virtue and fair mindedness, do some work on yourself, it starts by finding the faults.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm struggling to understand here about the 'racism' aspect. If you were a victim of, or affected by, a crime from an identifiable visual indicator minority (Muslim, hindu, white, asian, african) isn't it human nature to then have a distaste (rational or not) of those that represent that image, whether fair or not?

:shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In support of John Barnes' view, it is biologically driven in us to mistrust those which look, sound, or smell less like us and trust more those that we are similar to, or at least those that are similar to those we were raised closely with up to the age of 7 or so. I have racist reactions in my mind sometimes, as well as ageist, sexist, snobbish, etc. I try and not let them show and reason them away, but they still pop up, it's human nature. I think ageism is the one I struggle most to dismiss, and scouse accents.
If someone introduces themselves as Mohammed I am slower to warm to them, or warier, than if they had said their name was Mo, silly shit like that.

This.

I went on unconscious bias training a few years ago. The bottom line was not 'you must not be biased' but 'regognise your bias and mitigate against it'.

That said....if I think someone is being an egregious eejit, I can go for them, and sometimes this is unwarranted. And once you cross the rubicon it can be extremely hard to apologise.

:facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Dude, your turning what I said into something else, you should not be bothered, I should not be bothered, I am not bothered particularly, but there is a subtle difference to me that I noticed, and I mention it precisely because it should not make a difference. Stop acting fully formed and the finished paragon of virtue and fair mindedness, do some work on yourself, it starts by finding the faults.

This, again.

I love TC, but you're delightfully nuanced.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

You said you’d feel differently to someone calling themselves Mohammed rather than Mo. I don’t have that prejudice. You do. Get over it. Being honest about something doesn’t excuse it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Shrug your shoulders all you like mate. It is a genuine question and you failed in any reply except shrugging your shoulders.

Well lets throw that back you.

What a bizarre post where you have injected the word "white" in an attempt to distract from your own prejudices. Are you honestly saying if a white person attacked you you then develop a "rational or not" distaste for them.

I don't believe you.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Well lets throw that back you.

What a bizarre post where you have injected the word "white" in an attempt to distract from your own prejudices. Are you honestly saying if a white person attacked you you then develop a "rational or not" distaste for them.

I don't believe you.

**** off! Additionally I don't care what you bloody think. You people make me sick. You play with words and never address the human nature view. Always politically correct bollocks and mantra. Cheap *******.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Liam Neeson candidly admits violently racist thoughts and wandering round with a weopon decades ago, in the context of coming from a very racist and violent part of the world. Which he self policed shortly there afterwards, realising the madness.

I worked with someone from Ulster until not so long ago, he was extremely racist towards blacks, it really does exist. From both sides of the divide, there are people there light years behind somewhere like Brighton.

I respect LN’s honesty and introspection, and won’t be part of the holier than though mob (not NSC, but societal) hoping that he’s ruined. Save the lynch mob for people committing racist crimes in the here and now.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
**** off! Additionally I don't care what you bloody think. You people make me sick. You play with words and never address the human nature view. Always politically correct bollocks and mantra. Cheap *******.

If you don't care what people think, don't ask the question.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

You melt.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I can only address my "own human nature view" (whatever that means) as you asked the question

1) Never hated all black people because of one black person
2) Never hated all Muslims because of one Muslim
3) Never hated all Builders because of one Builder.
4) ( May as well complete the set as you did ) Never hated all white people because of one white person.

If that is your human nature, you're gonna run out of friends quite quickly. I suggest you stay at home and lock the door.

If any of the above is "politically correct" or "mantra", you'd better enlighten everyone. I wasn't aware political correctness meant don't piss off the entire human race.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This, again.

I love TC, but you're delightfully nuanced.

Nuanced but incorrect. I simply do not hold a group of people responsible for one man's crime. BS (how appropriate) can repeat it in as many nuanced (for nuance read waffle)forms as he likes, he's wrong and it's rather daft of him to assume that I feel the same way as he does. People spouting half baked, cod psychology and genealogy about how we feel subconsciously about those who differ from us due to ancient genes signalling threat should also give equal credence to the notion that actually homo sapiens also welcome those who differ as it increases the gene pool and increases the survival rates of a group.

Perhaps my ancestors were in a group that welcomed the full spectrum of the human race (slags) and BS's ancestors were a closed off group of racist inbreds?

Food for thought.

TBTC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here