Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best New Order album

Best New Order albums (can choose 3 max)

• Movement

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Power, Corruption and Lies

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • Low-Life

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Brotherhood

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Technique

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Get Ready

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Republic

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Wiating for the Sirens' Call

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Lost Sirens

• Music Complete

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some over-zealous fans spotted Hooky's Granada leaving and followed him away from the gig. He's talked in the past about feeling threatened and put his foot down which led to a low level chase out of the city. Unfortunately the fans car ended up leaving the road and Hooky vowed that New Order would never play Portsmouth again. Thus far, they haven't (although Hooky has a couple of times with Monaco).

Did you go to any early New Order gigs as well?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Anybody else go to the New Order gig at the Art College Basement in Grand Parade? Think it was their 4th ever gig or something. Long low room with a bar at one end and a barely-elevated stage at the other end. Think I only managed to see the top of the band's heads.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004

My age was against me, unfortunately. Portsmouth Guildhall was my first aged 15 then Brighton Centre in 86. I love JD / NO more than my kids (!) so I've seen them and various side projects many times since but didn't have the means or funds in the early days.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Anybody else go to the New Order gig at the Art College Basement in Grand Parade? Think it was their 4th ever gig or something. Long low room with a bar at one end and a barely-elevated stage at the other end. Think I only managed to see the top of the band's heads.

That gig has always been a subject of debate amongst the New Order anoraks, in so far as there has only ever been anecdotal evidence that it even took place! I'm in touch with a guy that maintains an unofficial gigography, so if by some miracle you have a ticket stub or flyer confirming it he would be delighted!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My age was against me, unfortunately. Portsmouth Guildhall was my first aged 15 then Brighton Centre in 86. I love JD / NO more than my kids (!) so I've seen them and various side projects many times since but didn't have the means or funds in the early days.

Ditto. My mates & I were mad about them, and still are. I only saw a few NO concerts in the early/mid 80's, including those two. I was far too young to see JD and in honesty I didn't know much about them at all until Ian Curtis died. My Desert Island Discs would include JD tracks and perhaps one or two NO.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That gig has always been a subject of debate amongst the New Order anoraks, in so far as there has only ever been anecdotal evidence that it even took place! I'm in touch with a guy that maintains an unofficial gigography, so if by some miracle you have a ticket stub or flyer confirming it he would be delighted!

Sorry mate, so far as I'm aware it was only advertised very low-key low-tech means. Certainly wasn't advertised in Sounds or NME, both of which I bought religiously every week. I used to go to the Art College Basement quite a lot and only happened to notice the unexpected queue outside so just asked somedody in the queue who was playing. Was gobsmacked when they said New Order. As for ticket stubs, it was just pay on the door ad I recall, and a stamp on the back of the hand. Gig definitely happened though.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sorry mate, so far as I'm it was only advertised very low-key low-tech means. I used to go to the Art College Basement quite a lot and only happened to notice the unexpected queue outside so just asked somedody in the queue who was playing. Was gobsmacked when they said New Order. As for ticket stubs, it was just pay on the door ad I recall, and a stamp on the back of the hand. Gig definitely happened though.

I remember a similar debate over the years as to whether Joy Division performed at the very same venue. Going by this brilliant piece, it was booked but didn't happen due to Ian's death. But [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] ... it looks like you're correct, New Order performed there very early on.

http://arts.brighton.ac.uk/arts/alumni-and-associates/the-history-of-arts-education-in-brighton/the-art-college-basement-some-recollections

About 4/10 down the webpage.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Saw Hooky this morning at the gym, he's just back from a tour of France and moaning that his son has joined Smashing Pumpkins and is earning more than him. He nodded approvingly when I told him the NSC cogniscenti have PC&L as their favourite.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Tell him that whoever wrote the lyrics should be shot.

It was January, nineteen-sixty-three
When Johnny came home with a gift for me
He said I bought it for you because I love you
And I bought it for you 'cause it's your birthday, too
He was so very nice, he was so very kind
To think of me at this point in time
I used to think of him, he used think of me

As Barney wrote them, Hooky would happily pay for the bullets.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Saw Hooky this morning at the gym, he's just back from a tour of France and moaning that his son has joined Smashing Pumpkins and is earning more than him. He nodded approvingly when I told him the NSC cogniscenti have PC&L as their favourite.

Please chivvy him to perform in Brighton again, soon. His gig at Concorde2 a couple of years was bloody amazing.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
I remember a similar debate over the years as to whether Joy Division performed at the very same venue. Going by this brilliant piece, it was booked but didn't happen due to Ian's death. But [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] ... it looks like you're correct, New Order performed there very early on.

http://arts.brighton.ac.uk/arts/alumni-and-associates/the-history-of-arts-education-in-brighton/the-art-college-basement-some-recollections

Nice - thanks for the link. New Order fulfilled (albeit slightly later) gigs at some of the American dates they were supposed to have been playing before Ian Curtis died, so it makes sense that there may have been some UK obligations as well. A Certain Ratio had already played there I believe so the venue was definitely on Factory's radar.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yes. As they didn’t visit Brighton, we went to their penultimate gig at Portsmouth Guildhall. The greatest gig any of us ever went to by any band. Apparently, so good, they even mention it in their autobio’s.

They could be very hit and miss couldn't they? I went to a couple of their concerts where they were absolutely dire and out of sorts. Whereas I also went to Hammersmith Palais in 1985, which is probably one of the best concerts I have ever been to. And they even did an encore!

That was quite an interesting evening of life before mobile phones. I agreed to meet up with my mate in 'the pub nearest the tube exit at Hammersmith'. Didn't realise that a) the station is large and there was more than one exit, and pubs on every corner! Basically, we spent an hour or so both wandering between pubs keeping on missing each other.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They could be very hit and miss couldn't they? I went to a couple of their concerts where they were absolutely dire and out of sorts. Whereas I also went to Hammersmith Palais in 1985, which is probably one of the best concerts I have ever been to. And they even did an encore!

That was quite an interesting evening of life before mobile phones. I agreed to meet up with my mate in 'the pub nearest the tube exit at Hammersmith'. Didn't realise that a) the station is large and there was more than one exit, and pubs on every corner! Basically, we spent an hour or so both wandering between pubs keeping on missing each other.

I didn't warm to the Brighton Centre gig in 1986 - but the awful giant cube of a venue was awful for most bands. Top Rank far better.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

I wasn't at that one, but I was at Jenkinson's when they played there in March 1981, which I guess still counts as 'early'...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Top work that man! :clap2:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Just watched the guitar episode on BBC4s 'guitar, drum, and bass' series. Not a single mention of Hooky.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here