Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Slow pitch

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
In the States a certain game of baseball played with a bigger sized ball and where the delivery to the batter is done at a much slower pace is called slow pitch softball. You see a lot of these games played in parks all over the country.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It definately happened. I put it down to tactics from Claud Puel at the time. Is it actually against a rule of some kind? I would think not as it seems home clubs can cut the grass ( or even alter the dimensions of the pitch) according to the opposition or somesuch (or have I just imagined that?)
Yes you can water, cut the grass etc, to suit your team, because it's still the same pitch for both sides. But not only on one half after the first half (in my book that is).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I remember Leicester only watered the end of the pitch we were defending in the second half last season.

You can obviously only do that at half time because you need to know what end you’re defending but then I think it’s fairly common practice. Southampton definitely did it last season. I reckon we might even have done it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Yes you can water, cut the grass etc, to suit your team, because it's still the same pitch for both sides. But not only on one half after the first half (in my book that is).

We have done this many times since moving to the Amex. Especially when poyet was manager.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Disappointed that we stooped to not watering the pitch.

Obviously is the right move against them but feels a bit underhand to deliberately produce a substandard surface for such a game.

Substandard?

I could be wrong, but I thought you were a similar age to me, in which case you'll have grown up with goalmouths which would be an ever increasing amount of sand from about October onwards. Would start with a small line from goal to penalty spot and would spread like water on blotting paper for the rest of the season. Our Cup Final pitch in '83 was pretty rough, and that was the SHOWPIECE event. We saw European Cup Finals where the paint on the lines had built up over the season to the point where the ball would bounce up as it ran over the line into the penalty box.

Today they play on carpets! I cannot remember seeing a truly sub standard pitch for YEARS.

If making it a fraction dryer gave a minimal additional problem to the £bn squad we were up against, then it hardly balanced the game up did it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Disappointed that we stooped to not watering the pitch.

Obviously is the right move against them but feels a bit underhand to deliberately produce a substandard surface for such a game.
Substandard surface? Substandard surface my a***. Have you ever seen a real substandard surface? - I refer you to the 1960s and 70s (and probably before that too). The surface at The Amex was as smooth and even as a bowling green or a billiards table, in beautiful condition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here