Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Local Council Elections

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton seems to have developed ok without any party in full control since 2003. I wonder what voting arrangements will be in place for the next few years.

Where I live (Horsham) the Conservatives continue to be in charge, but the turnout was low in my constituency - only 28.5% - lower than the normal and much below the last time we had a local election in 2015, which was 69% as it co-included with the general election.

I see much of Horsham town / Broadbridge Heath voted Lib Dem but the surrounding areas were stanch Tory, making the difference. Interest that 2 Greens returns in the Steyning / Upper Beeding wards.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
A potential vote from every registered citizen for each decision would be direct democracy in action and is not a bad idea in theory. Though in practice people haven't the time to devote to it for most things.

Having a PR system that elects candidates on a rolling basis rather than having a 'general' election (and accompanying hysteria) would be another solution to take the combative sting out of politics somewhat.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Spoiled ballots mean nothing to politicians who just put it down to voter apathy what's needed is a new Party with no policy's but one that has a clear message in its name The totally Disatisfied with all political partiy now that really would put the fear of God up them

Indeed, in a lot council seats, particularly in the Northern Labour heartlands spoilt papers got the most votes, the disaffected just waiting to come home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Indeed, in a lot council seats, particularly in the Northern Labour heartlands spoilt papers got the most votes, the disaffected just waiting to come home.

Which northern heartlands were they? The ones Labour lost like Bolsover or Barnsley?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Great news for Burgess Hill, looks like we have lost most of the Conservatives who have let the developers do what they want including giving them the Martlets Hall for nothing and letting another 3500 new homes be built in the Northern Arc.

The new town centre should be half built by now, most of us are expecting the developers to come back and abandon the new cinema and some shops and say they can only go ahead if they include more flats, hopefully these new councillors will stand up to them especially as they have already presold the original flats so are already in profit.

Absolutely. Get rid of those who want other folk to have the nice home that you have.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
A potential vote from every registered citizen for each decision would be direct democracy in action and is not a bad idea in theory. Though in practice people haven't the time to devote to it for most things.

Having a PR system that elects candidates on a rolling basis rather than having a 'general' election (and accompanying hysteria) would be another solution to take the combative sting out of politics somewhat.

I think the referendum and the subsequent General Election shows that decisions should be put squarely in the hands of the electorate as little as is practically possible.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
interesting vox pops from Bolton, Labour leaver voted Green and reckon many others did. Green won the seat. odd times.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

Are those the same disaffected that were going to take to the streets if Brexit wasn't delivered on March 29th, or a different group of disaffected?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Are those the same disaffected that were going to take to the streets if Brexit wasn't delivered on March 29th, or a different group of disaffected?

Not sure, it doesn’t say, I think once the betrayal is complete, whenever that will be people will take to the streets.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here