Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens. Discuss...

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I felt sorry for Stephens last night. He had such a bad game it hurt to see. Absolutely dreadful. Worse than dreadful.
You have to take a player like that off.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Stephens had a shocker last night and looked clueless. Doesn't help that Propper is having a bad half of the season. The midfield needs replacing as they both look they they have given up, more energy and speed needed.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I didn't realise we were allowed to discuss Dale Stephens.

A poster (Gullivers Travels?) raised the issue of his misplaced passes a few weeks ago and was roundly and patronisingly condemned by Those That Know. No idea why.

The first goal we conceded in the Premier League came from Stephens dilly-dallying on the ball. I guess we'll soon know what caused the last.

A few WEEKS ago?! :eek: I’ve been ‘championing’ his lack of ability since the Championship but as you say, we clearly know nothing. Except, of course, we’ve been right all along.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Dale Stephens has been a brilliant signing for the Albion and a key part of Hughton's side, one of the players that kick-started our rise out of the Championship. However, I don't want to criticise him for the attributes he hasn't got - we all know what his strengths and weaknesses are.

He is what he is and that is a top end Championship player plying his trade in the Prem. Indeed, you can say that about many of our 1st XI.

This is part of the problem. Not especially directed at you, IMO far too many people regarded him as a top championship player. He wasn’t. He was good, sometimes very good. That is all. But his inability to create and score goals stopped him from being a top Tier 2 player IMO. And a below average PL one as he’s proved to be.

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009
I couldn't help but laugh when he did this last night. A pass my dead gran could've made. Absolutely hopeless.

DS.gif

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I couldn't help but laugh when he did this last night. A pass my dead gran could've made. Absolutely hopeless.

DS.gif

It's amazing that we managed to get promoted with him isn't it? Even more so that 30,000 fans sang sign him up, sign him up

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is part of the problem. Not especially directed at you, IMO far too many people regarded him as a top championship player. He wasn’t. He was good, sometimes very good. That is all. But his inability to create and score goals stopped him from being a top Tier 2 player IMO. And a below average PL one as he’s proved to be.

I know this is all a matter of opinion but I think Stephens gets into the starting XI of every Top 6 Championship side at the minute, so for me that makes him a top Championship player. His ability to sit in the middle of the park, keep the ball, knock it around is rare and every team can do with a player with that ability. At premier league level everything has to be done that much faster, hence him reaching his level.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It's amazing that we managed to get promoted with him isn't it? Even more so that 30,000 fans sang sign him up, sign him up

Yea let's start rewriting history. He was terrible in the Championship and last season in the PL wasn't he?

Hysterical nonsense. Nobody is playing well at the moment, least of all his fabled Dutch international midfield partner who has signed out for the season, and likely the club.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010

Talk about an over reaction, hes easily a top championship player ffs

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Anyone remember when he requested a transfer because he wanted to play in the Prem. Laughable really.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I know this is all a matter of opinion but I think Stephens gets into the starting XI of every Top 6 Championship side at the minute, so for me that makes him a top Championship player. His ability to sit in the middle of the park, keep the ball, knock it around is rare and every team can do with a player with that ability. At premier league level everything has to be done that much faster, hence him reaching his level.

Maybe. Thing is I remember frequently being frustrated by Stephens in the champ and kept being told he was unsung, only notice when not playing etc. But I never saw it myself. I guess I saw his limitations more than his abilities. That and my sense of what he should be as a central midfielder I.e. a lot more ball player than breaker.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Talk about an over reaction, hes easily a top championship player ffs

It’s not, and fine if you disagree but don’t label as an over reaction and get all sweary at me. I’ve been very consistent in my view of Stephens and you’ve chosen to ignore what I said about him being very good. I just never regarded him as top of his league.

Kman

Mar 30, 2019
Can we for once back our players? It's depressing coming on here just to read everyone bashing our players... sad really.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
It’s not, and fine if you disagree but don’t label as an over reaction and get all sweary at me. I’ve been very consistent in my view of Stephens and you’ve chosen to ignore what I said about him being very good. I just never regarded him as top of his league.

So you really think he isnt a top championship player? Even tho we was desperate to keep him after promotion and a premier league club being very keen to buy him, failing with 3 bids. Ok mate you clearly know more than the coaching staff of Burnley and the Albion.
Also I can label it as an over reaction as that is my opinion, like you have yours.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Can we for once back our players? It's depressing coming on here just to read everyone bashing our players... sad really.

Sure.

Stephens, what a PLAYER he is. Let's give him a new contract.

What is that you say? He is shit? No no no, it's all the other players who are constantly out of position and making him look bad.

Ah ok, thats ok then, sign him up

Better?

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Maybe. Thing is I remember frequently being frustrated by Stephens in the champ and kept being told he was unsung, only notice when not playing etc. But I never saw it myself. I guess I saw his limitations more than his abilities. That and my sense of what he should be as a central midfielder I.e. a lot more ball player than breaker.

Apart from the fact our record without him in the championship was relegation form?

Kman

Mar 30, 2019
Sure.

What is that you say? He is shit? No no no, it's all the other players who are constantly out of position and making him look bad.

Better?

Nothing is gonna change wether we bash the player or not lol He will most likely start on Saturday so why even waste time and bash our players?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I felt sorry for Stephens last night. He had such a bad game it hurt to see. Absolutely dreadful. Worse than dreadful.
You have to take a player like that off.

I made exactly that point in player scorings, saying I actually felt for Stephens – he must have wanted the ground to open up and swallow him it was so humiliating at times.

In my view, even if CH is determined to play Stephens over Kayal, he should have recognised that Dale was having a truly confidence-shattering nightmare last night, and taken him off of the last 15 minutes just to protect his state of mind if nothing else.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Sure.

Better?

Very much so. Allow me to add:

Davy Propper, if only he had someone capable next to him he could turn on the masterclass that we all (apparently) know he is capable of and morph into Frank Lampard. We only THINK he's useless because of the players around him.

If only our wingers were played in the CORRECT positions and none of this inverted nonsense (even though they frequently switch) we'd be banging crosses and goals in for fun.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
He had a shocker last night, but i am still very much a fan. Limited options to pass to. Seems like the tension from the crowd for him to play forwards means he is taking on riskier passes. Not his natural game. He is still in the team because we don't have another central midfield player who naturally protects the back four and dictates play. Kayal and Propper are both supporting actors in my opinion, and Bissouma is great going forwards, but is no quarterback.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here