Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Run In - who has the hardest ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If Cardiff play anywhere like they did yesterday, they could potentially beat Burnley and Palace. If we play "not to lose" like we did on Saturday against Cardiff, I dread to think how that one could turn out.

We should be fine, but the players need to get their heads our of their arses and scrap for points.

If Burnley lose at home to Cardiff, then it may well be them that are the ones in the absolute poo.

As said above, I don't know if they had their head up their arses, but lets just look at a sequence of events in March:
1. Hard fought nerve jangling late winner against Huddersfield.
2. Memorable emotionally charged win away at Palace for a double against our rivals.
3. A physical FA cup scrap, ridiculous last minute 2 goal come back and tense penalty shootout win.
4. International break.

I have some sympathy that they went into Saturday looking out of sorts. It had been 21 days since our previous league game. Not an excuse, because they're professionals and should be prepared, but even so, very unusual for any of them to have such a break between league games and so much intensity inbetween.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Which they did against Hudds and Palace.

Exactly, so they need to get that back. I don't mind losing to Chelsea (expected) but at least show some fight and make them work for the win! It was too easy for Saints, not just the goal but the whole match, no pressing, no winning second ball etc.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If Burnley lose at home to Cardiff, then it may well be them that are the ones in the absolute poo.

As said above, I don't know if they had their head up their arses, but lets just look at a sequence of events in March:
1. Hard fought nerve jangling late winner against Huddersfield.
2. Memorable emotionally charged win away at Palace for a double against our rivals.
3. A physical FA cup scrap, ridiculous last minute 2 goal come back and tense penalty shootout win.
4. International break.

I have some sympathy that they went into Saturday looking out of sorts. It had been 21 days since our previous league game. Not an excuse, because they're professionals and should be prepared, but even so, very unusual for any of them to have such a break between league games and so much intensity inbetween.
[MENTION=14113]tTom Hark Preston Park [/MENTION] noted a couple of seasons ago, Brighton seem to lose coming after an international break. Maybe it's because we have players on international duty, or we lose the momentum in training.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
On paper us.

But in the real world we lost at home to Burnley and Stains.

We simply need to win a PL game or two.
Disagree. Burnley have the toughest.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Chelsea did us a massive favour (eventually). I think the big one is for us to beat Cardiff. That result alone should do it.

I was thinking that. That fixture is almost like the relegation version of the Championship play-offs: winner stays up, loser goes down.

Which is a pity for us as we have proved we are truly shocking when we play our fellow relegation rivals. If Cardiff beat us their tails will be well and truly up I can also see them getting four or more points from their remaining fixtures. We might have to pull something out of the bag in one of our three away games.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
On paper us.

But in the real world we lost at home to Burnley and Stains.

We simply need to win a PL game or two.

We usually do well against Newcastle and have already beaten them away this season.

Our goal difference is a big advantage.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Albion will make hardest work of the run-in. Probably just do enough to scrape over the line though. This time.
Indeed. I still think we'll stay up this season, albeit with bums squeaking left right and centre. Next season though ...

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Bournemouth are poor away from home and have nothing to play for so there’s no excuse for not winning that one. Then hopefully we’ll go into the Cardiff game either 8 or 7 points clear of them which will take the pressure off a bit.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Burnley have the toughest with only 3 games against non top 6, of which only 1 is at home.
Cardiff's is only slighty easier with 4 games against non top 6, of which only 1 is at home (and against a team with a really good away record).
Ours is easiest with 4 non top 6 teams to play, including 3 home games.
Saints is easiest with 6 winnable games out of 7.

The most significant factor is that Cardiff are 5 points and 3 points behind us and Burnley respectively, and with a terrible GD. I'd say the current odds of 1/5 for Cardiff are are fair reflection.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Burnley have the toughest with only 3 games against non top 6, of which only 1 is at home.
Cardiff's is only slighty easier with 4 games against non top 6, of which only 1 is at home (and against a team with a really good away record).
Ours is easiest with 4 non top 6 teams to play, including 3 home games.
Saints is easiest with 6 winnable games out of 7.

The most significant factor is that Cardiff are 5 points and 3 points behind us and Burnley respectively, and with a terrible GD. I'd say the current odds of 1/5 for Cardiff are are fair reflection.

Not forgetting that Burnley and Cardiff have to play each other.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
[MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION], have you concluded that Newcastle are definitely safe? I wonder what their run-in is like.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION], have you concluded that Newcastle are definitely safe? I wonder what their run-in is like.

A Arsenal
H Palace
A Leicester
H Southampton
A Brighton
H Liverpool
A Fulham

I fancy they'll get at least 4 points from that lot.

Hopefully they'll beat Palace and Southampton at home and come to us feeling the job is done already.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I thought Brighton had already been relegated. I distinctly remember seeing posts from people who were preparing for the Championship :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Cardiff turn over Burnley, then Burnley could be the team most in danger.

Mind you, that's assuming we don't blow it - three winnable home matches left - but so too were Burnley and Southampton, and look how many points we got from those two. Still think we'll stay up, but a lot less confident than I was a couple of weeks ago - that performance against Southampton was hugely worrying and very disappointing.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

i rashly assumed that even 35 or 36 would be enough so missed off them and PaLLace

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Cardiff will be thinking if they can turn us over they'll fancy their chances of winning at Fulham and following up with a win at home to Palace.

We had a let-off yesterday for sure.

Funny, I think playing them mid-week at the Amex will suit us moreso than had it been on a saturday.. I have no idea why, but just think it will....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here