Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thoughts on yesterday and the Oscar situation

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Great stuff. Nice to see some perspective after the spectacular lack of it that's been demonstrated on here over the last 24 hours.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Thanks, reflects my own thoughts in a much more coherent and lucid way!! I feel better now.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I would say that fairly reflects the bulk of Albion supporting opinion,..... it fires in questions from all angles, though sadly provides no answers...... lets get a quick club press conference telling us one way or the other, I cannot stand to have to face a month or more of uncertainty like last year.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
a2213358-88-mister-burns-excellent.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A very good appraisal of our situation but I have one observation about not replacing El Abd to compound that we let Maksimenko an international centre back/ left back, granted only Latvia, gk out on loan when he would have been a better replacement to have on the bench than Chicksen.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
First time I've read your blog and fair play, it's good stuff. I'm often very disdainful of a lot of fan written blogs that pop up with poorly written rants but yours is not one of them and thus I salute you for your efforts.

Sums up my thoughts nicely too. Hats off to you sir

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
An excellent read. If he goes though, what a shame we will have to have yet another transitional season.

If he does go though, the majority of the Poyet/Oscar players are out of contract so the new man will have the luxury of bringing in some of his own players. Oscar didn't have that when he joined.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Whilst reading this today I bumped in to ffsmurray on my way in to work. It was like I was being taunted from above!

Nicely written blog @Guinness Boy, thanks for sharing :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A very good appraisal of our situation but I have one observation about not replacing El Abd to compound that we let Maksimenko an international centre back/ left back, granted only Latvia, gk out on loan when he would have been a better replacement to have on the bench than Chicksen.

That's a fair enough point though it still would have been a back four of complete strangers with Maksimenko on.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Well written and much to agree with although I can't help thinking the departure of el bad did little more than give Dunk a second chance and should be viewed as a positive. Overall there is unavoidably "summat up" as Oscar is seemingly as disenamoured with our transfer methodology as his predecessor. At least he has more class in the way he has chosen to deal with it.
The bottom line is that where this season was salvaged by at least starting with a reasonable quality squad, next season will begin (potentially and almost certainly probably) with a bunch of strangers. For "transition" read "rebuilding" and for "playoffs/premier league ready" read "midtable at best".
Not the happiest of times.
I hope Tony can talk Oscar round, sort out the backroom issues, and give us a realistic prospect of building on what we have achieved. Boring or not, we are competitive and within a reasonably sensible budget. Once you start to slip back regaining momentum becomes very very hard

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Well written and much to agree with although I can't help thinking the departure of el bad did little more than give Dunk a second chance and should be viewed as a positive. Overall there is unavoidably "summat up" as Oscar is seemingly as disenamoured with our transfer methodology as his predecessor. At least he has more class in the way he has chosen to deal with it.
The bottom line is that where this season was salvaged by at least starting with a reasonable quality squad, next season will begin (potentially and almost certainly probably) with a bunch of strangers. For "transition" read "rebuilding" and for "playoffs/premier league ready" read "midtable at best".
Not the happiest of times.
I hope Tony can talk Oscar round, sort out the backroom issues, and give us a realistic prospect of building on what we have achieved. Boring or not, we are competitive and within a reasonably sensible budget. Once you start to slip back regaining momentum becomes very very hard

Exactly this.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
If he does go though, the majority of the Poyet/Oscar players are out of contract so the new man will have the luxury of bringing in some of his own players. Oscar didn't have that when he joined.

Agreed and that's probably a good thing. Sadly, it will still mean a transitional season as the new players bed in. The person with the best insight into what the squad needs is OG so really hoping he's just disappointed with the loss and will stay on but sadly, as I've said in previous posts throughout the last few months I don't think he's been happy for a long time.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Agreed and that's probably a good thing. Sadly, it will still mean a transitional season as the new players bed in. The person with the best insight into what the squad needs is OG so really hoping he's just disappointed with the loss and will stay on but sadly, as I've said in previous posts throughout the last few months I don't think he's been happy for a long time.

Fair point. If he does go, hopefully we will get someone who buys into the long term project and is given the chance to sign players who will complement his style.

I also hope Oscar will stay, for the same reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here