Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
See you there then :O

Funnily enough I was training for the new Goodwood marathon in September - another running around in circles one (the circle is around 5K and is the scene of my greatest ever racing humiliation in a duathlon where I took another person's* bike on the transition). But I just couldn't hack it and I think my utterly limited and undistinguished marathon career is behind me.

* not surprisingly she wasn't happy about it

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
It sounds horribly like the Preston Park velodrome marathon (72 laps?) without the camber. Aaagh!

I saw the pain on your face that day and that was only after an hour.

I just checked the strava segment and if the course follows the stadium perimeter path it’s 0.4 miles with 73ft elevation. I’ve run round it a few times always anti clockwise and running the steps. After 3 laps the steps were burning my calf’s another 47 odd and I would need a bucket of water to put out the flames.

Not for me this year but maybe next

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Being stupid but how would you keep count of laps completed? I know I could measure it by my watch but would there be some way of counting laps? I have done a 4 lap HM (which I didnt enjoy) and a 6 lap Ultra (which was great fun) but I have to say 60 laps is not that appealing to me, BUT its round the AMEX!

What will sway my decision about entering is if you get to finish inside the ground. I guess the numbers will have to be restricted so hopefully that would be an option. Finishing a HM inside Wembley Stadium is currently my number 1 finish line, I think personally the Amex would top that.

BTW a mate has done a lapped marathon at the K2 and they had a person to record the laps done.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's another good / mad idea but it's not for me. A gentle build up to Brighton via a ten miler, then half, then full over six months is still the way I want to go.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
17 miles or so today - had to get the LSR in before going on holiday on Sunday.

Is there a NSC bevendean outing tomorrow? Not decided on whether I should bag anothe Sussex PR - East Grinstrad possibly

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
17 miles or so today - had to get the LSR in before going on holiday on Sunday.

Is there a NSC bevendean outing tomorrow? Not decided on whether I should bag anothe Sussex PR - East Grinstrad possibly

I'm joining the super elites for being unreliable. I won't be there. Just back from the Chilterns may do the prom.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Running around the AMEX on the sunday.. football on saturday.. not a bad birthday weekend... Though due to my lack of any long runs this year someone might have to help me up the steps on lap 2

Maybe a Pie stop on each lap or so?!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm joining the super elites for being unreliable. I won't be there. Just back from the Chilterns may do the prom.

I’m going to see how I feel tomorrow morning before committing to park run. Foot didn’t feel 100% playing football and I’ll only run if I don’t get any pains first thing.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm in dire health at the moment, no physical activity for me. I'm not sure what caused it but I spent yesterday mostly on the pot and then had a reminder of all the things I'd eaten in the last couple of days.

Grim.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm in dire health at the moment, no physical activity for me. I'm not sure what caused it but I spent yesterday mostly on the pot and then had a reminder of all the things I'd eaten in the last couple of days.

Grim.

Must be bad if you're up before 7. Get well quickly.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Grim.

Sorry to hear this. I'm going to follow in your footsteps (with a shorter stride pattern) and have a crack at Lancing this morning.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
You have my sympathies, I know what this is like. It’s ruined my life since early June. It won’t be there all the time, you’ll have good days and bad days, sometimes you’ll think it’s gone and others you won’t be able to walk 20 metres without a lot of pain. It’s particularly bad after inactivity, so when I get up from my desk at work I’ve been feeling it. For me, you can tell you’ve got it if you stretch out your toes to extend your foot and as you do it you feel something in the PF.

I’ve had it for over two months now. I only really started to treat it just over a month ago. To begin I foolishly carried on running 50-70km a week at my normal speeds. Then I bought a foam roller about four or five weeks ago and I’ve been vigorously rolling my feet four or five times a day ever since, combined with taking a step back in distance and pace. We had a physio come in to work a couple of weeks ago and she told me to a) spread my toes while rolling b) focus on putting pressure on the pain points rather than rolling quickly from back to front and c) put a lot of force into it. It’s worked a treat and my feet have improved so much in that time. I would say I’m now 95% in the clear. I can still feel it a little bit after I run but generally it has gone and I’m certainly no longer in pain like I was for about six weeks. But I honestly don’t think anybody can overcome PF without simply taking a period of time off from running.

I’ve done very little for about six weeks, probably averaging about 20km a week and struggling to train even at 5:00/km. My last four parkruns have been 21:37, 21:32, 22:06 and 21:06, so at least two minutes off where I was in May. It hasn’t been fun but it’s been necessary. Saturday’s 21:06 was the first time I’ve done it with no pain since early June. I’m confident I can start to work back to where I was now, but the lesson is definitely don’t take PF lightly.

I will take your advice too on this one. Have been suffering since May and have tried compression socks, roller (but don't think I've been using the roller properly) and whilst it's improved a bit it's still murder. Tried 6 weeks completely off running too but that was almost worse! Started running again 3 weeks ago and it's painful but manageable. Have a 10k tomorrow as my first ramp up event to the Leicester Half Marathon in October so plenty of rollering tonight.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I paid the cost of averaging 3.5 miles a week running for the last 4 weeks today with a flat out run on the Prom producing 22:15 and leaving me a shivering near to vomiting wreck.
Positives are; getting up to 5:50 mile pace for the run in, only being 10% off best and being able to run the morning after a shared bottle of Prosecco and an unshared bottle of red.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I paid the cost of averaging 3.5 miles a week running for the last 4 weeks today with a flat out run on the Prom producing 22:15 and leaving me a shivering near to vomiting wreck.
Positives are; getting up to 5:50 mile pace for the run in, only being 10% off best and being able to run the morning after a shared bottle of Prosecco and an unshared bottle of red.

You edged ahead of me then: 22:20 at Lancing. As Ninja said last week - not a PB course,. But (on a sunny day) a really nice run Not a big turnout (100+) and no probs with congestion. Very well marshalled and (of course) friendly. A really nice addition to the Sussex parkrun menu. Good to see and have a chat with @LeftBack.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
A potential fly in my Amex marathon ointment could be Plantar Fasciitis. I've had pain in my foot for a couple of weeks, albeit mild. Really not sure what it is but could well be PF.

Reading back through the thread and paying particular attention to [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] posts it seems like there are some decent recovery options.

Is a frozen water bottle a better option than foam rolling? I'll definitely try the Strassburg sock.

I also bought a new pair of Hoka's yesterday (still unused) but Bondi's rather than Clifton's. These are very well padded shoes so I could switch to them immediately.

Are there any tell, tell signs that it is PF? The pain really isn't that bad and isn't there all the time.

Is it worst in the morning, literally taking the first couple of steps out of bed? If so it's likely PF.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Popped over to Peacehaven this morning- I do like that course especially on a sunny day. Legs a bit heavy after yesterday but came in 16th of 101 in 23:15. Thought that was a slow time but only 6 seconds off a PB there.

Off for a week’s holiday tomorrow and a complete break from running for a week. Then it’s time for the 20 milers before tapering for Budapest in October.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Is it worst in the morning, literally taking the first couple of steps out of bed? If so it's likely PF.

I've been treating it constantly since Tuesday and I've had some good results. Very little pain on a long run this morning 11.6 miles. Only felt it briefly running downhill, so tried to use grass verges to soften the landing.

I won't get complacent so continual rolling and work on calf's and achilles through until my next run, which I'm hoping will be this Monday.

Bevendean was the place to be if you wanted to win an event today. The winning time was around 21:30 so a fair few on this message board would have fancied their chances.

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
Wanted to do 10 miles this morning and planned to go up and down the river adur, but made a last minute change when a remembered the lancing pr was on and the it was more or less 10 miles there and back from my place with a pr in the middle.
Timed my run perfectly and arrived 2 minutes before the start, bumped into [MENTION=635]Gary Nelson[/MENTION]'s Teacher. Thought briefly about staying on his shoulder all race and trying out sprint for the line, but with the journey home to come decided to take it easy and really enjoyed my run along the seafront in the sun.

Only 100 there and I had no issues with the narrowness of the route ... double the number of runners and things could be different.

If the numbers don't climb to much it might come my local pr.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Looking for some advice for running South Downs Way. As someone who tends to run roads the majority of the time my knowledge of routes on SDW is very limited. The easiest ways for me to get up there are via Devils Dyke or Ditching Road.

Can anyone recommend a decent route which would cover c.14 miles? It would take me around 2 miles initially to get there so 10 miles on SDW would be about right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here