Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] NSC - Spreading Hate?

Has NSC got its house in order on spreading hate?

• Yes it is working

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • Free speech is the way

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Permanent bans for repeat offenders and more infractions

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • You ok Hun?

Votes: 27 25.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
So is this not the right time to start a new thread,

"What do women know about football"?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Makes me laugh all this current pc bollox , A large amount of NSC members have taken part on a massive scale a keyboard warrior style of internet bullying of another NSC member , so much so that member stopped posting on a regular basis infact i can't recall the last time i saw him post , it may well seem harmless fun to take the piss out of people with learning difficulties on a football forum but i know 100% that nobody would say anything to his face that they've done on here , he's ultimately decided it's just not worth the hurt posting anymore , seems a shame that somebody has been singled out for being different and abused for it , iv'e only got to look at the NSC banner to realise it still seems to people to be just a bit of fun , it's not .

I tried to say something and had the 'it's only a bit of fun' line, too. There is one poster who has another expression from that poster as their signature.
There has been bullying, but most now do point out the bullying so it has improved.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I've barely been on here since one of Spence's bigoted and uninformed comments got 30-odd likes.

Oh and since Bozza started laying in to one of our own players at every possible opportunity.

The good guy vs **** ratio has definitely changed since 2016.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Sorry, if I was not being too clear. The post to which I was responding, which was akin to another poster's views was that basically we should engage and not insult (presume we all agree with that!!) but then went to criticise the views of others stating that it is impossible to have a discussion with certain folk. What I meant was that those folk might feel the same about you (not you personally) and it might be your intransigence that is the problem, but of course it is easy to blame others for an impasse.

Ahhh...I see. Yeah that is a fair point of view, but the person who starts the abuse has lost the battle. I suppose it's an exercise in being a grown-up.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
What or who are we allowed to hate these days ?....We def can`t hate Blacks , Jews , Gays !! Hopefully we are allowed to hate Murderers,Paedophiles etc. How about Thief or Bully ... Are we allowed to hate protesters who wish to impose their ideals on us all.
If we downgrade hate to dislike I reckon we can dislike anyone or any group !!

People are at perfect liberty to hate blacks, Jews and gays, they are just not permitted to disseminate their hatred or stir up hatred amongst others.

In some respects it might be considered preferable that their hatred is voiced on here where their opinions will be shot down, ridiculed and marginalised rather than on a forum of like minded individuals where those opinions will be condoned, supported and given validity.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
People are at perfect liberty to hate blacks, Jews and gays, they are just not permitted to disseminate their hatred or stir up hatred amongst others.

In some respects it might be considered preferable that their hatred is voiced on here where their opinions will be shot down, ridiculed and marginalised rather than on a forum of like minded individuals where those opinions will be condoned, supported and given validity.

You got a point!

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
The problem is if you're a long term poster you can get away with far more. There are users that are pure school bullies on the site that have been doing it for years but because they have 10,000 posts it's alright. No forum will ever be safe from the who you know rubbish and it's something that happens here all the time. But to say that NSC is spreading hate is a bit extreme. I cannot stand the abuse from both 'tolerant' left wingers and 'nazi' right wingers that go on in the Brexit thread, so I just never go in it. Which really is the only answer if you don't like it don't look at it.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I am glad that it isn't just me! I spent ages trying the search only to find this same thread!

Despite the rather benign name, the poster I was replying to is in my opinion a racist dickhead, who really isn't worth wasting any time on. The numbers were completely made up and intended to waste his time - apologies if anyone else was trying to resolve this.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Going back a few months I was really starting to despair of NSC, with the large number of hate threads running. I am not of course referring to football, but the general anti-anyone who is different from me threads and racial stereotyping, of oh look another crime committed by someone who is....

Recently things seem much better and this may be connected to one or two banishments from the forum, but reading through the club statement, is NSC getting it right?

Bozza's comment that NSC is not mumsnet, is always something that comes back to me, when I try and get this straight in my own head. I like a lot of the debates on here and enjoy chipping in on a number of subjects, it can be a good way to let off steam. I also think the system of infractions and short bans, is helpful, for when someone for whatever reason has gone off on one and needs to calm down. There are however a small number of people, who add nothing positive at all and I also find it frustrating sometimes, when posters who have been a right PITA are allowed to come back with a new username and quickly resort to posting the same old SH1TE.

So is NSC getting it right? Personally I think broadly speaking it is working, but I would like to see a small number of permanent bans and a little less tolerance to thread starters, who never seem to contribute to anything else to the forum other than hatred.

One person in particular has been banned recently and these threads have dried up. Fancy that. :shrug:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Bigots, racists, homophobes, morons and sabre-rattlers on NCS are dealt with by the majority of fair minded and erudite responders who more often than not call them out for stupid or potentially offensive remarks and dismantle extreme rants with well thought out, intelligent responses. Seems to work fine IMO. All topics can end up with extreme differences of opinion and that is good. I like to see the varied opinions and counter arguments, allowing full spectrum of perspectives to be discussed, no matter how distasteful, stupid or offensive they may be.

BTW OP, 'hate speech' is legally defined and does not include offensive opinions, having a pop at someone or having opinions of race/religion etc that you find 'offensive'. If we can't talk about difficult subjects without running to a 'safe space' then those difficult, but necessary conversations just won't happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here