Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sussex day tomorrow

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
No bishop Bamabee wiz he Richard de wych be but chance born furriner turns out real bishop be, happen certain sure a Godly man justly went on jaunce became regular brencheese friend to Sussex Folks wuz no adle-headed fellow bettermost than most who's nowt be Druv by kings but only God, who dursent nowt make a boffle of any task for thee, so remember Saint Richards day and rise a glass for Sussex by the sea

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Bacon pudding is also excellent, as made by my mum.

Just looked it up - that sounds pretty damn fine. Found Sussex Churdle at the same time which I'm now going to make one day soon also.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Just looked it up - that sounds pretty damn fine. Found Sussex Churdle at the same time which I'm now going to make one day soon also.
Mum also used to make the pudding with rabbit instead of bacon. I can also heartily recommend drip pudding when roasting lamb. I mean what is not to like about a suet pudding roasted in dripping?!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Twitten

I do believe is a Sussex word

I will try to use it sometime today in conversation

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
No bishop Bamabee wiz he Richard de wych be but chance born furriner turns out real bishop be, happen certain sure a Godly man justly went on jaunce became regular brencheese friend to Sussex Folks wuz no adle-headed fellow bettermost than most who's nowt be Druv by kings but only God, who dursent nowt make a boffle of any task for thee, so remember Saint Richards day and rise a glass for Sussex by the sea

I'd sleep it off if I was you. :whisky:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Sounds like someone has used Google Translate.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Twitten

It is and it's always made Mrs W, who's from Surrey you know darling, laugh. She says the word alley is the proper one. I've told her time and time again that asking to 'go up her twitten' is far more respectful and romantic.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It is and it's always made Mrs W, who's from Surrey you know darling, laugh. She says the word alley is the proper one. I've told her time and time again that asking to 'go up her twitten' is far more respectful and romantic.

It came as a surprise the first time I took Mrs Wz up the twitten.

Bloody Scots

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Why do we have to share our day with “Fathers Day”?

It also happens to be my sister’s birthday.

Anyway, I shall be celebrating with afternoon tea out with my wife and kids (and my sister).

It’s also the first day of the season for coarse fish on rivers...

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Something I was wondering yesterday - are there any decent modern folk songs about Sussex?

This weekend I've been at the "Falmouth International Sea Shanty Festival" down here in Cornwall. It's basically a pub crawl, with dozens of groups singing, and Fishermens Friends probably aren't in my top five. Plenty of traditional shanties, and not all about drunken sailors. But there's also a rich seam of modern songs about Cornwall and the local pride in the heritage and culture, even comparing the granite cliffs to our chalk ones.

I couldn't think of anything similar, even of any Sussex shanties. The brilliant Wellington Wailers (with their Martlets flag) are here again from Shoreham, so I shall try to ask them today.

Any ideas?

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
The historic county is known for its "seven good things of Sussex".These seven things are Pulborough eel, Selsey cockle, Chichester lobster, Rye herring, Arundel mullet, Amberley trout and Bourne wheatear. Sussex is also known for Ashdown Partridge Pudding, Chiddingly Hot pot, Sussex Bacon Pudding, Sussex Hogs' Pudding, Huffed Chicken, Sussex Churdles, Sussex Shepherds Pie, Sussex Pond Pudding, Sussex Blanket Pudding, Sussex Well Pudding, and Chichester Pudding. Sussex is particularly known for puddings: such was the reputation of Sussex that it was said that "to venture into the county was to risk being turned into a pudding yourself".In one version of the Sussex folk tale, the knucker dragon at Lyminster was slayed after being fed a poisoned Sussex pudding.

That's from Wikipedia. Don't think I've ever eaten a single one of those things!

At school we regularly had Sussex Pond for pudding, I loved it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The historic county is known for its "seven good things of Sussex".These seven things are Pulborough eel, Selsey cockle, Chichester lobster, Rye herring, Arundel mullet, Amberley trout and Bourne wheatear. Sussex is also known for Ashdown Partridge Pudding, Chiddingly Hot pot, Sussex Bacon Pudding, Sussex Hogs' Pudding, Huffed Chicken, Sussex Churdles, Sussex Shepherds Pie, Sussex Pond Pudding, Sussex Blanket Pudding, Sussex Well Pudding, and Chichester Pudding. Sussex is particularly known for puddings: such was the reputation of Sussex that it was said that "to venture into the county was to risk being turned into a pudding yourself".In one version of the Sussex folk tale, the knucker dragon at Lyminster was slayed after being fed a poisoned Sussex pudding.

That's from Wikipedia. Don't think I've ever eaten a single one of those things!

It's a shame these things have all but died out.

You'd have thought an enterprising chef would have latched onto the idea of a truly local menu. I'd certainly go to a place offering traditional Sussex dishes.

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Not forgetting banoffee pie

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Correct, My last house, swan cottage, built in 1720, was on the corner of a twitten betwixt church street and middle street in Shoreham-by-sea. Lovely place, just a bit small!

Twitten

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here