Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I feel a transfer record coming on.....

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What Hughton said (below)
As others have said, he's just keeping his options open. No doubt all and sundry would prefer we make 2 permanent signings before the 6pm deadline and the club have, if reports are to be believed, are certainly not short of going round bidding large sums so budget doesn't seem to be the issue.
But if we don't...

“We still want to strengthen because I think that will give us the best opportunity to be in the areas of the league that we want to be in.
“We’re still pushing and pushing hard. We don’t have a loan player so, come the second of September, I think we have between five days and a week and then the opportunity to bring in loan players.
“We know generally there are options because there will be clubs trying to do deals and get players out before the window closes that are not able to.”
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb..._exploit_loan_market_if_deals_don_t_come_off/

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
His would be rather large I suspect.

Because he is good. Are we serious about top 6 or not? If so, then we need to invest. We have done, but not enough in the (second) striker position we so desperately need to fill.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Exactly. I was really underwhelmed by just about everything last season. Even if we do end up with a couple of loans I don't think that we can doubt the club's intent this season, even if it goes tits up again.

Love it if we broke the transfer record but I am pretty happy with the business done so far anyway so am quite relaxed about it. We do need some more firepower but if it has to be via the loan system so be it. The core of the team is OURS this season, that is important imo.

You see, I think it is VERY important that we only resort to loans as a very last resort. We are already benefiting from improved team spirit with no 'less-than-bothered' loanees in our squad IMHO.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm going to join in with many on this thread. By common consent, we're two -- or, if not, one -- player short of our requirements with more than four days to go before the transfer window shuts. We probably agree that permanent signings are better than loans, and that season-long loans are better than 3 or 1 month ones. It looks as though the club are looking to make permanent signings (Marshall, Manu, and, no doubt others from the now obligatory left field), season-long loan signings (Vydra, Tex). If they don't come off, they don't and in that situation, we'll look for shorter term loans, perhaps with the view to turning them into permanent.

The situation is fine in my book. Transfer policy over the summer has been far better than any of us could have anticipated, and there's also a strategic, long-term element to it too. It's a long way off from last year's panic, short-term deluge of loans.

All this is true IMHO. Credit where credit is due, the new Recruitment regime has done a very good job so far this summer. Just 2 more PERMANENT signings to go, and they will have played a blinder...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'd rather they didn't introduce doubt before the transfer window has actually shut. Plenty of time to assess the squad and talk about the loan window from then onwards.

Perhaps the remaining couple of targets are looking more and more unlikely, so they would then realise that the next option would be the short term loan route. If that is the case then we need to get in ahead of other clubs who will be thinking along the same lines, quite simply because the best players available on loan will go first

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
What CH said at the press conference (available on Player)

"We would like to get to the end of the window with as strong a squad as possible"
"We have no-one here on loan at the moment, so it gives us a bit of scope after the end of the window to do anything that we perhaps need to"

Yup, sounds like a man really panicking :rolleyes:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Because he is good. Are we serious about top 6 or not? If so, then we need to invest. We have done, but not enough in the (second) striker position we so desperately need to fill.

I repeat, why would Watford want to sell him when he signed a new contract just a month ago?
A season long loan is an investment to get someone of his quality. His wages will be much more than our wage structure and his transfer fee could be astronomical - if Andre Gray is worth 9m, then Vydra is worth more. There is investing and then there is gambling - paying huge fee for someone is a gamble, one that I very much doubt TB would want to take. To me, a loan is the only option, but the club have surprised us so far this window so you never know

Edit: Just seen the Callieri story. $9m!! Bloody hell, maybe TB is willing to gamble then!

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I'd be happy with season long or three month loans - that as we all know from Hammond in the GP years they can be converted to a full season loan as long as this is done within the initial loan period - so no worries on that front.

I don't think CH's comments can be taken any way other than we have options and we will exhaust all opportunities before we commit.

Also don't forget if a club announces that someone's not in their 25 then a loan can be made permanent if all parties are in agreement.

Players might want to wait to find out if in the 25 before committing to moving on.

Pleased to see that we weren't in for Carayol this time round as he is in no way dynamic enough for us. CH is an astute judge of player potential after all. No Best, no J Bennett, no Gardner and no Carayol.

Very happy wherever we go from here.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If the Calleri interest is true, then I think you could be right [MENTION=19150]piersa[/MENTION]

I'm not quite sure what currency is being referenced on the Calleri front, so suspect that the willing labrador might just keep his record. He deserves something for all that effort.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd be happy with season long or three month loans - that as we all know from Hammond in the GP years they can be converted to a full season loan as long as this is done within the initial loan period - so no worries on that front.

I don't think CH's comments can be taken any way other than we have options and we will exhaust all opportunities before we commit.

Also don't forget if a club announces that someone's not in their 25 then a loan can be made permanent if all parties are in agreement.

Players might want to wait to find out if in the 25 before committing to moving on.

Pleased to see that we weren't in for Carayol this time round as he is in no way dynamic enough for us. CH is an astute judge of player potential after all. No Best, no J Bennett, no Gardner and no Carayol.

Very happy wherever we go from here.
93 day loans can only be converted into season loans during an open transfer window...

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
I repeat, why would Watford want to sell him when he signed a new contract just a month ago?
A season long loan is an investment to get someone of his quality. His wages will be much more than our wage structure and his transfer fee could be astronomical - if Andre Gray is worth 9m, then Vydra is worth more. There is investing and then there is gambling - paying huge fee for someone is a gamble, one that I very much doubt TB would want to take. To me, a loan is the only option, but the club have surprised us so far this window so you never know

Edit: Just seen the Callieri story. $9m!! Bloody hell, maybe TB is willing to gamble then!

TB - gamble ... nah :nono:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
93 day loans can only be converted into season loans during an open transfer window...

Ok I stand corrected if that's the case but seriously why are you bed wetting considering the efforts we've gone to already in this window and what might be about to happen today?

Serious question & using bed wetting only as it is common parlance on here...before you bed wet further.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here