Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So.... Has the squad improved?

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Is the squad for the second half of the season better than the one we had until December? And is it better that the one we had for the end of last season (when we finished fourth). If it is, all the whiners need to shut up about TBs so called lack of ambition.

I think we are definitely better off that this time last year, and that's the most important thing. If no one else does I will compare the ins and outs to prove it.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Proof we be in the pudding at the end of the season. Last year we finished 4th. Bloom wanted a top 6 finish this season. I personally think we will just miss out. Not entirely Oscar's fault as we had a horrendous injury list. This window was key and i think we are walking away weaker but with a healthier bank balance.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is the squad for the second half of the season better than the one we had until December? And is it better that the one we had for the end of last season (when we finished fourth). If it is, all the whiners need to shut up about TBs so called lack of ambition.
TB has spent a fortune, and is still spending £8m every year, the whiners need to shut up regardless.

As for the squad vs 1st half - Bridcutt wasn't able to help much this season, but Crofts is a big loss - I don't expect Stephens to hit the ground running that well, but he should get into it after a handful of games. El Abd was a backup - even if we love him. Barnes is a loss, but Ulloa should be coming into fitness, and I expect Rodriguez will be and improvement on Barnes, so I think we're ahead there. I guess Obika will be a backup, but a backup striker is probably more useful than a back up defender (given the rest of our squad).

So not a lot in it. If CMS or Hoskins can get fit and on form, then I think we'll be stronger.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
They were obviously thinking of offing Barnes for a while, so only played him to keep him in the shop window, which has cost us valuable points at the end of the day :nono:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
They were obviously thinking of offing Barnes for a while, so only played him to keep him in the shop window, which has cost us valuable points at the end of the day :nono:

Who should have played instead of Barnes then ? He hasn't had a bad game all season.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Good argument. He added so much to the squad we sold him

It wasn't an argument it was a question. Didn't you see the squiggly mark with a dot under it?

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford

I think we are definitely better off that this time last year, and that's the most important thing. If no one else does I will compare the ins and outs to prove it.

It looks likely that after 4 years of finishing above our previous years position this season we are not going to do this. Deal with it! Is this the reason why Gus left?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Apologies. You are correct of course. If Barnes added to the squad, and didn't have a bad game for us this season, what do you reckon was behind the decision to sell him?

Still no reply from my question? He was out of contract at the end of the season and showed no sign of wanting to sign another. Only a mug wouldn't sell him.

Spun Cuppa

Still no reply from my question? He was out of contract at the end of the season and showed no sign of wanting to sign another. Only a mug wouldn't sell him.

I agree. How many times have we seen clubs mug themselves and offer improved contracts to players that add to the squad and rarely have bad games?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Bridcutt, Barnes and El-Abd did not want to be here anymore, so they have rightly moved on.

Ince signed a new contract, Buckley is still with us.

We have signed a well regarded, versatile midfielder and a quick, versatile, goal scoring forward. We will have to wait and see how they get on. Plus we have added to the development squad.

Are we stronger? Dunno yet - but at least we do not have players still with us that would rather be elsewhere. Plus we have added to our war chest for the summer, or to use on loans if required. And we have several long term injured players nearing fitness.

And [MENTION=19279]Discodoktor[/MENTION], Gus left because his method of getting to the Premier League was to spend, spend, spend, which the club were not prepared to do more than they already had. Even though he had proved that he could get a top 4 finish with a squad that had "hit the ceiling" (which, incidentally, had pushed the ceiling upwards in the last 3 months of the season but suddenly, inexplicably, capitulated to you know who in one game)

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Apologies. You are correct of course. If Barnes added to the squad, and didn't have a bad game for us this season, what do you reckon was behind the decision to sell him?

Barnes would have added a damn sight more in the last 5-matches than the present incumbent and we would have picked up more wins as he holds the ball up and brings others into play, something a off colour Ulloa hasn't done as yet

Spun Cuppa

Barnes would have added a damn sight more in the last 5-matches than the present incumbent and we would have picked up more wins as he holds the ball up and brings others into play, something a off colour Ulloa hasn't done as yet

I can't think of a playert that has divided opinion as much as Barnes. As someone posted above, only time will tell if the in/outs make a difference. Will aweait the first 'Are we missing Barnes?' Thread :lolol:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
As others have rightly pointed out until the new players have settled in and we've had a chance to watch them it's difficult to say if the squad has improved, As it stands before seeing them I'd say no.
Stephens looks to be the pick of the bunch and will hopefully prove to be a good replacement for Crofts, but we've lost a proven championship forward and replaced him with a player who cant be considered as anything more than a trialist ( hence the short term contract ) As well as losing a proven centre back who hasn't been replaced at all.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
It looks likely that after 4 years of finishing above our previous years position this season we are not going to do this. Deal with it! Is this the reason why Gus left?

No.....it is the turmoil and instability that he left in his wake with fictitious live TV sackings and court threats that has us on the back foot, we would have been cruising into a strong season had he not done whatever he did to engineer a move to a prem team.....simple.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Who should have played instead of Barnes then ? He hasn't had a bad game all season.

He scored six in five months... That's POOR for a first choice striker (forced through injuries) who averaged three good chances per game. Crofts scored an equal amount from midfield, and he wasn't our player playing in the box all game!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here