Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Venice

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Taking advantage of no game and going there this weekend.

Arriving at Marco Polo Airport - what's the best way into the centre please?

Any other must dos/must avoid....

Thanks

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had a few pics from a couple of pals that did the marathon there a few weeks ago - coincided with a high tide and strong winds - flooding everywhere. Apparently fairly common now, they sell plastic covers that look like wellington boots to go over your shoes for when the town fills with ankle deep water (or worse)

Beautiful place, smells a bit though and as other have said phenomenally expensive in the centre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TVPEyup6bg

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
The best part to experience "normal" Venice without too much of the touristy crap is around Campo Santa Margherita. There's a few good local bars and restaurants around that area and a great fruit and veg market most mornings and a good flea market on Sundays.

Edit: It's also close to the university and has a decent student crowd which help give the place some normality compared to the hoards of foreign tourists in many other parts.

scouse23

Jan 30, 2008
There are ticket machines at airport arrivals where you can get coach tickets, don't get the water bus from the airport takes ages apparently, when coach drops you off in City Centre then get your water bus, you can get tickets for 3 or 4 day passes for water bus travel at coach station, water buses get rammed all the time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thanks

Waterbus is the best way. Just follow the signs in the airport.

And visit all the places specified in this https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2010/feb/13/venice-bar-snacks-cicheti-wine

Ai Do Draghi has closed but all the others are still open.

il Santo Bevitore is an Italian craft beer bar. There are some delightful restaurants on the parallel canal to the north. This is a lot less touristy area.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There are ticket machines at airport arrivals where you can get coach tickets, don't get the water bus from the airport takes ages apparently, when coach drops you off in City Centre then get your water bus, you can get tickets for 3 or 4 day passes for water bus travel at coach station, water buses get rammed all the time.

?? It doesn’t take very long and is a great way to arrive on the island. The coach doesn’t drop you in the centre, as cars and buses are banned. It drops you on the western tip of the island. I really cannot see why this is advantageous?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

Thanks

100% get the water taxi from the airport. They are basically speed boats made into a taxi. Less than 30 mins to the centre. Don't even consider any other form of travel. It cost 50-75 Euros but it's worth it as it's an experience as well as getting you where you need to go. You will feel like James Bond as the motor boat take you across. Best advice I was given before we went last year and I didn't regret it. Did the same to get back to the airport.

Be prepared for it to be busy, when the cruises come in literally thousands descend on the place and it gets horrific for a time. Lots of Chinese.

But I have to say I enjoyed it very much. Lots of long lunches. WHilst St Marks Square is more expensive for food, it's probably only by about 10-20% so worth it for the music and vibe of the place.

I'd go back for a short break for sure.

Only down side is the accommodation is so expensive and limited, but if you're like us you'll only sleep in it anyway.

Enjoy.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Venice is an amazing place.

Private water taxi from the airport to your accommodation is the best way, you can get a shared taxi too which is cheaper and you'll have a couple more people with you but they usually take a nice route so your first views of Venice are by the water. Always best to book in advanced, but you can book at the airport when you land but you may have to wait.

As mentioned, day tripping on the water taxi to other islands is recommended, Murano, Burano and Torcello were personal highlights of mine.

Food and drink can be very basic and very expensive if you fall for the tourist traps. We mainly went for the food. Some of my culinary highlights were:

Al Vecio Marangon
Ostaria Boccadoro
Bentigodi
Al Cantinon Osteria
Osteria Enoteca Ai Artisti
All'Arco

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We got a shared water taxi from the airport to the Rialto Bridge when we went about 7 years ago. Cost about 35 euros if I remember correctly and was shared with one other couple. Once we got dropped at the Rialto we got a porter to carry our luggage down to our hotel.

Hopefully you should avoid any flooding as the acqua alta season is coming to an end. As others have said avoid the touristy areas, in fact just explore and see where you end up, you will get lost so grab a guide book with a map just to help out. If you do end up at St Marks Square I recommend Cafe Florian, its very expensive but beautiful and certainly worth a visit.

Can also recommend Al Giardinetto da Severino for a meal, the fish risotto I had there is still one of the best things I've ever eaten.

Jul 7, 2003
Get lost!

Seriously - the best way to see Venice is just to wander around the different side alleys etc rather than use a map. You can't go too far wrong as you will always either end up back at the Grand Canal or at the edge of the island. There are also local supermarkets buried away which are much cheaper for soft drinks etc than having to pay café prices.

Also, if you want the gondola experience without paying the stupid prices for a tourist ride, go to S Toma and get the traghetto across the water for €2.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You have to go to the Dogues Palace near St Marks. I thought the 18 or something euros was a bit steep at first but had a wonderful half a day spent in there ending down in the dungeons after walking through The Bridge of Sighs.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
1. Easiest and cheapest. Get bus from outside the airport direct to Piazzale Roma (it's either 5 or 7) and once there get vaporetto (no 1) to the stop nearest your hotel

if however you're staying on Lido take the Alilaguna ferry direct from outside the airport,

PS You'll love it, it's my favourite city in all the world.

Last edited:

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Just looked it up, you're gonna be there during carnival, you lucky bar steward. Been many times during carnival, love it. Make sure you get over to Burano

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Leonardo da Vinci museum is well worth a visit, its tucked away but a great display of all his various inventions.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
We're here right now. Spent 3hrs on a 20 euro water bus ticket hopping on and off. Great way to see everything.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Thanks

venice-taxi-boat.jpg Water Taxi, so expensive, but your a long time dead, enjoy it..:thumbsup:

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Thanks

Water taxi. The only way to arrive. Expensive, but worth it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here