Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Podcasts - what are you listening to?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stone Clearing With Richard Herring - Honest.

This is the Pinnacle of podcasting.
Thrilling, exciting, informative, death defying, action packed, nerve jangling, high octane, master craftsman, at the peak of his powers taking time initial us newbies into the secret world.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Kermode on Film - a new podcast that seems, essentially, to be a slightly extended version of his videoblogs with bbc, and clips from his MK3D show he hosts at the BFI every month. I think its's three or maybe four episodes in.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Just seen Behind Closed Doors, with Danny Baker and Gary Lineker, might be worth downloading. Haven't listened myself just yet, but perhaps That Peter Crouch Podcast has started a wave of footballers telling anecdotes? I do hope so!

I'm sad to say that I'm OUT on this. If I wanted to chuckle along with Danny Baker's tales of "people who've cut footballers' hair" I'd listen to R5 because it works there. With this though, he's sitting with Gary effin' Lin-acre, and it's making me cringe, as he treats England's second highest goalscorer like an assistant Lyndsey Hipgrave, Bar a few tales about Gazza, and a few glimpses of "behind closed doors' stuff from Lineker's career (which is what I'm interested in - and as the Peter Crouch podcast has shown, those stories can be both interesting and very funny), there's nothing that separates this from anything else Danny does. It also feels like he's a bit more self-aggrandising these days, trying to stay 'relevant'. Such a shame.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sad to say that I'm OUT on this. If I wanted to chuckle along with Danny Baker's tales of "people who've cut footballers' hair" I'd listen to R5 because it works there. With this though, he's sitting with Gary effin' Lin-acre, and it's making me cringe, as he treats England's second highest goalscorer like an assistant Lyndsey Hipgrave, Bar a few tales about Gazza, and a few glimpses of "behind closed doors' stuff from Lineker's career (which is what I'm interested in - and as the Peter Crouch podcast has shown, those stories can be both interesting and very funny), there's nothing that separates this from anything else Danny does. It also feels like he's a bit more self-aggrandising these days, trying to stay 'relevant'. Such a shame.

Wow, you've saved me from writing EXACTLY the same.

Gary starts a story.
Danny cuts across him.
Danny says something we've already heard.
Danny the moves the subject along.

Some of the stuff Gary is allowed to say is very interesting/funny/insightful, there's a bloody good 5 minute podcast, that takes 55 minutes to listen too.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

Agree 100% unfortunately Danny's stories are all getting a bit tired now and a bit drunk uncle at wedding embarrassing. It is as you so rightly say 'such a shame'

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Agree 100% unfortunately Danny's stories are all getting a bit tired now and a bit drunk uncle at wedding embarrassing. It is as you so rightly say 'such a shame'

Wow, you've saved me from writing EXACTLY the same.

Gary starts a story.
Danny cuts across him.
Danny says something we've already heard.
Danny the moves the subject along.

Some of the stuff Gary is allowed to say is very interesting/funny/insightful, there's a bloody good 5 minute podcast, that takes 55 minutes to listen too.

Or perhaps the famously compliant Mr Baker will take constructive criticism from his producers?

Oh.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This weeks 'That Peter Crouch Podcast' - Goalkeepers.

One of the funniest things I've heard in ages.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There's a two-part Quickly Kevin this month where they interview Gary Neville - it is a SUPERB listen. Highly recommended.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This weeks 'That Peter Crouch Podcast' - Goalkeepers.

One of the funniest things I've heard in ages.

Looking forward to that. They've all been very entertaining so far.

I dunno how long they can keep this going though, surely he's going to start running dry on anecdotes soon ?! (I've also read his book, which was great fun). Maybe they'll have to start getting some of his former team-mates in for some BANTS.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looking forward to that. They've all been very entertaining so far.

I dunno how long they can keep this going though, surely he's going to start running dry on anecdotes soon ?! (I've also read his book, which was great fun). Maybe they'll have to start getting some of his former team-mates in for some BANTS.

Not if today's episode is anything to go by.

I can write that with confidence of a man who knows he's still not overselling the episode.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
There's a two-part Quickly Kevin this month where they interview Gary Neville - it is a SUPERB listen. Highly recommended.
Agree. Genuinely fascinating stuff.

This week's Baker and Lineker is better too, wonder if someone has had a word with Danny to stop talking over GL...if anything it's the other way round.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006

Could have done with a whole series just with him really, feel like they barely scratched the surface.

Really enjoyed the Bobby Gould one - they'd obviously teed it up to run through all the bonkers stuff about him in previous episodes, but he just shrugged them all off as normal/masterstrokes. Somehow dragged them into a serious discussion about his managerial career.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agree. Genuinely fascinating stuff.

This week's Baker and Lineker is better too, wonder if someone has had a word with Danny to stop talking over GL...if anything it's the other way round.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Could have done with a whole series just with him really, feel like they barely scratched the surface.

Really enjoyed the Bobby Gould one - they'd obviously teed it up to run through all the bonkers stuff about him in previous episodes, but he just shrugged them all off as normal/masterstrokes. Somehow dragged them into a serious discussion about his managerial career.

Quickly Kevin is a terrific pod, its probably my favourite one now. I've listened right back from the start and its great to hear it growing now, to the extent where they can do live shows now, and guests of the calibre of Neville on there (although that one with Jim Rosenthal remains one of the best IMO). The scary thing is, 90s football doesn't really seem like THAT long ago, yet they're talking about stuff from 25+ years ago sometimes :ohmy:

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Quickly Kevin is a terrific pod, its probably my favourite one now. I've listened right back from the start and its great to hear it growing now, to the extent where they can do live shows now, and guests of the calibre of Neville on there (although that one with Jim Rosenthal remains one of the best IMO). The scary thing is, 90s football doesn't really seem like THAT long ago, yet they're talking about stuff from 25+ years ago sometimes :ohmy:

The correspondence is excellent - the Phil Babb texting episode is my favourite. The Steve Bruce books are the funniest for me, but obviously not as interesting from a 90s football angle

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yay we just got a mention on Quickly Kevin :clap:

"There are a lot of boring teams in the Premier League"
"For example should ... slight pause ... Brighton, to be given a 10 year stay if there was a 10m height difference between the goals?"

Oh :down:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
This week's Baker and Lineker features a Baker sung football linked '12 Days of Christmas'.
Dunk gets in the oft repeated 4th day refrain for his own goals. :moo:

Last edited:

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Anyone listened to Brian & Roger?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm finally catching up with Jon Ronson's 'The Butterfly Effect'.
I've just listened to ep 3 - Children.

If you want to repeatedly say:-

"WTF were you thinking" This is most definitely the podcast for you.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm still listening to Jon Ronson's 'Butterfly Effect', having just got to the Anxiety episode.

Oh my, just when you think a certain anecdote reaches it's conclusion it carries on and is mind blowing. :lol:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
A quick shout out to the new BBC Sounds app which seems to bring together live radio, old radio and podcasts. Not sure if this will mean the BBC Radio iPlayer app will be phased out ( [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION]?)

It's got favourites like Flintoff, Savage and the Ping Pong Guy as well as the new That Peter Crouch Podcast.

Discoverability seems a bit clunky though - I only found the above by searching for them by name. If I didn't know they existed, I'm not sure how I'd have found them, particularly as the Categories within "Listen" don't include sport.

What benefit do I get using this as opposed to the apple podcast app?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here