Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Season of failure?

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Position in the league very good considering the way we have played. Yes there are excuses change of manager blah blah blah but considering the facts we have only played well or anywhere near the players potential in a handful of games it is a case of what could and should have been. It would have been nice to leave the ground entertained rather than frustrated so often.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
How do you know he will be "pissed off" ?

Fairly sure TB is a reasonable man who will understand the significant issues this season.

Lovely bloke and comes across as a very placid person but bet he is like most of us (anger) behind closed doors. How would you like to spend £200m and not show any anger? You'd probably smash the place up after losing £100 let alone what Bloom has splashed out.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Jesus wepticles. Of course this isn't a season of failure. Such a one would be a drop from near top to near bottom and flocks of newfound regulars cancelling their direct debits for a pending season that now seems as if it wouldn't suit our stadium and pitch. Instead we're battling it out with some partial underperformers and a few of the experienced midtablers for a possible place at the biggest table in town, which would turn is into something with even larger pockets and a gradually more justifiable expectation to dine more continuously with the big eaters. I wouldn't class this as much of a season to remember in terms of highlights and moments to remember, as we do seem to have had our identity either shrunken or muddled up with that of some Terry Butchers, but it's by no means a scandalous one that calls for a few beheadings. A full pre-season with his hands on a good few signings Oscar's heard of ought to fill us with hope in a season to come, one of rebirth and crawling our way forward.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Bloom said "we have to try and have a squad we think is capable of promotion. I certainly think this season we have that." You need to finish minimum of 6th place to have a chance of promotion. He may not have used the exact words "expect top 6" but you, being one of the better posters on here, should be able to read between the lines.

But following on from the rest of TB says I doubt he sees this season as "failure" as he went on to say: "You can get a couple of injuries or a few bad games and be just outside the play-offs; we could get a bit of luck and finish in the top two." Now the first part certainly applies to us thus far, but I like I said, I am satisfied enough with this season, but it is not over yet...

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

It's not about reading between the lines. It's about not putting words into his mouth. He would like to have a squad capable of promotion, he thinks we have it. That is not the arrogant entitled thinking of "I expect top six". Hs entire argument is one of caution, and balance, and acceptance that it's a difficult decision and it's wrong to expect a play off finish.

If you want to read between the lines, you can easily say what he actually meant was "Realistically, we've been unsettled, Oscar is still learning the division, we're trying to cut costs, we don't know how strongly the other teams will stick to FFP, we've still got Hoskins and CMS out injured, Orlandi, Buckley and Lualua are often out injured, Gus might get a job and come in for some of our players, we have a division with Wigan, QPR, and Reading just down and going to be tough, Forest, Leicester, Middlesbrough and Leeds are usually there or thereabouts, and might be a threat if they forego FFP, and we've got a few new players to bed in. It's going to be a tough season and I don't know if we're going to get top 6, but, I'm stood in front of a bunch of fans who want to hear how great our chances are, how we're going to at least match last season etc. and want the club to show high ambition so I'm making it sound as positive as possible without giving the wrong impression about demanding top finishes that can't be guaranteed, and avoid putting undue, unrealistic expectations on the new guy".

But we are agreed that, as far as results are concerned, we have had a satisfactory season.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If we had won the games we should have won against teams at or near the bottom, instead of dropping what should have been comparatively "easy" points, this thread would be irrelevant.

This season has been good, bad and irritating in parts, but it hasn't been a failure. Failure is relegation, success is retaining your place, over- achievement would be play-offs or automatic promotion and this team is not good enough for that.

We will be annahilated next season with this team if we are promoted, and we can't afford to buy a new one immediately.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
And that is when he kicks arse bit time. Forget all these people who will be happy for us to float around in the championship for years as they haven't a clue as it isn't their money. Bloom will lose his temper and kick arse big time.

Tony Bloom gave Oscar a two year contract which suggests to me that he recognised it might take that to achieve whatever target he set for him, so the kick ass time probably hasn't arrived yet. OK a 2 year contract is probably the minimum necessary to attract a decent manager and leaves the door open for an extension should things go well - or to say goodbye without huge financial penalties.

However it does not stop Tony asking some very serious questions of Oscar and his coaching team right now, especially having got so close to the play offs. If we do fall slightly short with the finishing line in sight then Tony would certainly want some answers from Oscar about how he intends to do better next season. It is very tempting to wonder if Oscar would turn around and say 'we've hit a ceiling...........with this squad'. I suspect he might have a shopping list of players, given that he has had to put up with a squad that he mostly inherited or found for him by David Burke. If Tony does splash the cash it would make Oscar doubly accountable.

BTW I think many of us are still a bit bemused that we haven't made more of Oscar's Spanish connections to bring in some proper playing talent (better than D-Rod's calibre). Maybe that will happen?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
People underestimate the volcanic pile of sh1te a certain manager left behind in his wake.

Good season in my view

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
If we had won the games we should have won against teams at or near the bottom, instead of dropping what should have been comparatively "easy" points, this thread would be irrelevant.

This season has been good, bad and irritating in parts, but it hasn't been a failure. Failure is relegation, success is retaining your place, over- achievement would be play-offs or automatic promotion and this team is not good enough for that.

We will be annahilated next season with this team if we are promoted, and we can't afford to buy a new one immediately.

You speak so much sense :thumbsup:

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Tony Bloom gave Oscar a two year contract which suggests to me that he recognised it might take that to achieve whatever target he set for him, so the kick ass time probably hasn't arrived yet. OK a 2 year contract is probably the minimum necessary to attract a decent manager and leaves the door open for an extension should things go well - or to say goodbye without huge financial penalties.

However it does not stop Tony asking some very serious questions of Oscar and his coaching team right now, especially having got so close to the play offs. If we do fall slightly short with the finishing line in sight then Tony would certainly want some answers from Oscar about how he intends to do better next season. It is very tempting to wonder if Oscar would turn around and say 'we've hit a ceiling...........with this squad'. I suspect he might have a shopping list of players, given that he has had to put up with a squad that he mostly inherited or found for him by David Burke. If Tony does splash the cash it would make Oscar doubly accountable.

BTW I think many of us are still a bit bemused that we haven't made more of Oscar's Spanish connections to bring in some proper playing talent (better than D-Rod's calibre). Maybe that will happen?

Great post and hope Bloom sticks with Oscar without giving him away (Swansea want him) and gives him a proper season to go for promotion. I hate all this media crap where our manager/players are linked to other clubs but Never hear us linked with players. If Tony wants promotion then he'll **** Gus and Palace of in the summer.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Too many people still have the Dick Tight Albion small time mentality and expect nothing, we are big time now and if Oscar blows the play offs then ADIOS you clown and get a decent ENGLISH manager in

Ernest ----- look out for me launching myself off from the east upper if we feck up against :moo:yeoval:hilton:

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
It's not about reading between the lines. It's about not putting words into his mouth. He would like to have a squad capable of promotion, he thinks we have it. That is not the arrogant entitled thinking of "I expect top six". Hs entire argument is one of caution, and balance, and acceptance that it's a difficult decision and it's wrong to expect a play off finish.

If you want to read between the lines, you can easily say what he actually meant was "Realistically, we've been unsettled, Oscar is still learning the division, we're trying to cut costs, we don't know how strongly the other teams will stick to FFP, we've still got Hoskins and CMS out injured, Orlandi, Buckley and Lualua are often out injured, Gus might get a job and come in for some of our players, we have a division with Wigan, QPR, and Reading just down and going to be tough, Forest, Leicester, Middlesbrough and Leeds are usually there or thereabouts, and might be a threat if they forego FFP, and we've got a few new players to bed in. It's going to be a tough season and I don't know if we're going to get top 6, but, I'm stood in front of a bunch of fans who want to hear how great our chances are, how we're going to at least match last season etc. and want the club to show high ambition so I'm making it sound as positive as possible without giving the wrong impression about demanding top finishes that can't be guaranteed, and avoid putting undue, unrealistic expectations on the new guy".

But we are agreed that, as far as results are concerned, we have had a satisfactory season.

Exactly, there is no need to put words into his mouth...Or anyones for that matter. I am going from what I heard and from you have posted previously. No one would be arrogant to suggest we have a divine right to a top 6 finish and that it is one of my biggest bugbears in football.

Anyway, regardless of what TB or anyone wants, I have been satisfied with this season...

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's been yet another good season. No need to discuss tbh. So many teams go top 10 then have a relegation battle the next season or 2 seasons after. We've been too 10 for 3 seasons in a v strong league littered with ex prem league players. Anyone who thinks otherwise is def expecting too much.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Errrr.... Garcia was given a three-year contract.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
What has happened in the Marissa Suzanne Devault death penalty phase [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] as the jury retired last Monday and there's nothing in the news, has she been sentenced to death?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Exactly, there is no need to put words into his mouth...Or anyones for that matter. I am going from what I heard and from you have posted previously. No one would be arrogant to suggest we have a divine right to a top 6 finish and that it is one of my biggest bugbears in football.

Anyway, regardless of what TB or anyone wants, I have been satisfied with this season...

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA
You are easily pleased then.
I just want to be entertained-win-lose-or draw.
Your opinion about being satisfied this season is the complete opposite to mine.
I pay over £600.00 for my season ticket and EASILY double that in :drink: & PIES.
For that outlay I expect the eleven players to have some clue about what they are doing especially at HOME.
Our lot (six) go away to all the London games as well and that been fecking dire as well.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
You are easily pleased then.
I just want to be entertained-win-lose-or draw.
Your opinion about being satisfied this season is the complete opposite to mine.
I pay over £600.00 for my season ticket and EASILY double that in :drink: & PIES.
For that outlay I expect the eleven players to have some clue about what they are doing especially at HOME.
Our lot (six) go away to all the London games as well and that been fecking dire as well.

Not that easily pleased as I hate losing...Even drawing at home I consider a massive disappointment.

But in the context of the season I think (currently) getting to 7th in the table has been pretty good. As for the away games being "dire" I find that strange as we have only lost 6 all season with only 2 clubs losing less...Those 2 have just been promoted. Also, the Leicester game was one of the finest performances of the last few years...People mention Leicester's "promotion hang-over" but it would not have mattered as they could have put out a fully-fit first team and we still would have blown then away, we were that good.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here