Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion posts losses of £14.7m

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
And yet someone on here told me that you have a player salary budget less than Burnley's.

It's alright, I didn't believe him.

In season 2011-12, Burnley's total wage bill was £17million; Albion's was £14.7million.

In season 2012-13, Burnley's wage bill was reduced to £15.4million, whilst (from today's announcement) it looks like Albion's increased to £20.9million.

A number of things occur to me:-

Despite Burnley still receiving parachute payments, Albion had a wage bill about one third higher. So we can still compete financially against teams receiving these payments (although they are getting significantly larger with time).

Albion's average attendance in 2012-13 was just over twice that of Burnley - so high attendances certainly mitigate some of the effect of the parachute payments.

Burnley reduced their wage bill, even whilst continuing to receive the parachute payments. I applaud their financial restraint.
[MENTION=28806]8th battalion East Lancs[/MENTION] - what has the fan's reaction been to your reduced wage bill? Lots of complaints about "lack of ambition"? Is there much discussion of FFP amongst the fan base?

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
"There was also a slight increase in ticketing, commercial and retail sales with a boost from £13.8m to £14.3m. "

Following the expansion, the average attendence went from 20,029 in 2011/12 to 26,236 in 2012/13 (a 23% increase), yet this only equated to an extra £500k in ticket sales, an increase of 3.5% ?? Even less than that if they're lumping commercial and retail sales in with that figure.

Doesn't seem to add up, unless I'm missing something.

This is certainly very odd. Using the reported "attendance" figures from the two seasons (which we all know are actually tickets sold), the total Amex figure for season 2011-12 for 23 league games is 460,454 tickets sold.

For season 2012-13 the total number of tickets sold (again for 23 league games, so excluding the play-off semi-final) was 603,438 (a 31.1% increase).

I believe that season ticket prices were frozen between the two seasons (apart from the transport levy), but there should still have been a significant increase in ticketing revenue. Was commercial and/or retail sales revenue down for some reason? [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] - will be very interested to hear your report once the detailed accounts are available.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Breaking news: The Albion posts losses of £14.7m

This is certainly very odd. Using the reported "attendance" figures from the two seasons (which we all know are actually tickets sold), the total Amex figure for season 2011-12 for 23 league games is 460,454 tickets sold.

For season 2012-13 the total number of tickets sold (again for 23 league games, so excluding the play-off semi-final) was 603,438 (a 31.1% increase).

I believe that season ticket prices were frozen between the two seasons (apart from the transport levy), but there should still have been a significant increase in ticketing revenue. Was commercial and/or retail sales revenue down for some reason? [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] - will be very interested to hear your report once the detailed accounts are available.

I think this shows that attendance levels are a bit misleading in the overall context of football club financing. After deducting VAT, and taking into account concessions and ST discounts compared to match day prices, let's say the club nets £15 per punter per match.

An extra 143,000 tickets sold (per your analysis) would bring in about an extra £2.2 million. The Argus have reported that ticketing, commercial and retail sales are up by £0.5 million. The difference is partially due to lower sales of kit (as we were in the second year of a two year shirt deal, and that everyone rushed out to buy shirts in year 1).

My understanding is that Paul Barber inherited a number of commercial deals that didn't reflect the Albion's status and size, but many of those deals will have expired by the end of 2012-13, and therefore there should be an increase in revenue from those sources in the forthcoming season.

However, failure to reach the playoffs this season will have a negative impact on revenues of about £750,000, and our relative lack of appearance on TV will hit the club too.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not spending money on proven goal scoring strikers and penny pinching on 3rd division Barnes and mcSmudger along with letting our leading goal scorer go to the scum for the sake of a couple of grand a week while breaking the bank on the white elephant was a massive mistake.2nd division football will never cover the running costs of the Amex and a squad good enough for promotion.With the inevitable drop in season ticket sales next season the losses will only go up.If FFP is enforced we could easily follow in Coventrys footsteps:albion2:

Exactly the words of a Palace Troll. You support them, don't you ???

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I think this shows that attendance levels are a bit misleading in the overall context of football club financing. After deducting VAT, and taking into account concessions and ST discounts compared to match day prices, let's say the club nets £15 per punter per match.

An extra 143,000 tickets sold (per your analysis) would bring in about an extra £2.2 million. The Argus have reported that ticketing, commercial and retail sales are up by £0.5 million. The difference is partially due to lower sales of kit (as we were in the second year of a two year shirt deal, and that everyone rushed out to buy shirts in year 1).

My understanding is that Paul Barber inherited a number of commercial deals that didn't reflect the Albion's status and size, but many of those deals will have expired by the end of 2012-13, and therefore there should be an increase in revenue from those sources in the forthcoming season.

However, failure to reach the playoffs this season will have a negative impact on revenues of about £750,000, and our relative lack of appearance on TV will hit the club too.

Thanks El Pres.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Not spending money on proven goal scoring strikers and penny pinching on 3rd division Barnes and mcSmudger along with letting our leading goal scorer go to the scum for the sake of a couple of grand a week while breaking the bank on the white elephant was a massive mistake.2nd division football will never cover the running costs of the Amex and a squad good enough for promotion.With the inevitable drop in season ticket sales next season the losses will only go up.If FFP is enforced we could easily follow in Coventrys footsteps:albion2:

I don't remember you saying these were mistakes at the time. Anyone can look back and find fault.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Has anybody ever seen a stadium with so many stewards as the Amex?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Has anybody ever seen a stadium with so many stewards as the Amex?

The stewarding levels were set as a condition of the initial health and safety licence being granted.

As a result of the Amex being such a pleasant environment, and the lack of trouble at the stadium, those stewarding levels can be reduced.

However it won't significantly impact upon the accounts. Even if 50 stewards, at a gross cost of £12 an hour, working a six hour shift, are made redundant, it's an annual saving of £90,000, or 0.6% of last season's losses.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The club confirned lack of ambition for promotion when they did not sign Bridge for this season, he wanted to stay.The Pole in goal will not be with us next season which will be a massive blow,letting ElAbd go was ridiculous he should have been captain he is far more committed and a far better player than the sweaty sock.:albion2:

Is there an award this year for NSC's THICKIEST?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Can we just stop this madness and return football to an easily affordable past time when anyone could catch a lot of games and a player (not all of them, granted) didn't have the option of retiring from all forms of work by the age of 35?

Oh but the poor things. You have to remember, it's such a short career for the poor loves. And why should they have to retrain after having given so much: all those half days in training; the one to one attention they have to give to agents and managers and dietitians, not to mention all that coal dust on their lungs. In for training at 10am and not back to the X-Box until 2.30pm at the earliest. And they give up their Christmas for us.

It's such a hard life being a professional footballer, being a role model to young fans and screwing the game for every penny you can get. Leave them alone (I know, we'd all trade respect for easy cash as well.)

One day I will walk away from this game.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Is that anything new?

How many players did we have in the 70s and 80s fell into the expensively mediocre category? I can think of a few!

No it's not anything new, but in the modern game player wages have gone through the roof. I often hear ex pros from 60's, 70's, 80's saying they wish they'd played in the modern era because of the riches on offer.
And although it's nothing to do with wages, retired footballers have loads of very well paid media opportunity's because of our insatiable appetite to not only watch but to analyse and speculate about the game. Were as in the old days the best an ex pro could hope for was to open up a pub

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No it's not anything new, but in the modern game player wages have gone through the roof. I often hear ex pros from 60's, 70's, 80's saying they wish they'd played in the modern era because of the riches on offer.
And although it's nothing to do with wages, retired footballers have loads of very well paid media opportunity's because of our insatiable appetite to not only watch but to analyse and speculate about the game. Were as in the old days the best an ex pro could hope for was to open up a pub

In 1982/3 the two highest paid players in the COUNTRY were Steve Foster and Michael Robinson. They both earned £70,000 that year.

Peter Ward, in 1978/9, the year the Albion were promoted to the top flight, was on £300 a week.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I thought the new extra seats at the Amex were only available for the last 1/3 rd of last season ???

FRYG

Bexhill Seagull
Apr 13, 2011
Bexhill
With the losses, are they being prudent and not taking into account end of season tv revenue, competition money etc at the end of the season ? or will that be reserved out ? hate to see Forrests Bill at the end of the season !

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I thought the new extra seats at the Amex were only available for the last 1/3 rd of last season ???

Capacity was increased to about 27,000 at the start of last season, and then gradually increased to 30,500 over the course of the season........I think (apologies if incorrect).

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
In 1982/3 the two highest paid players in the COUNTRY were Steve Foster and Michael Robinson. They both earned £70,000 that year.

Peter Ward, in 1978/9, the year the Albion were promoted to the top flight, was on £300 a week.

That's amazing. Is it right to assume, then, that in that season we got relegated, we were one of the highest paying clubs in Division 1?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here