Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Gym etiquette

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I used to be an absolute gym rat. Loved it. Then I worked in one. I wouldn't step foot in one for love nor money now unless I was assured of it's cleanliness. I also cannot stand being around other men sweating and grunting. I've developed a phobia of it over the years.

Most humans annoy the piss out of me so I don't feel compelled to spend time in a place where humans display some of their worst foibles. Untidyness, uncleanliness, selfishness, lack of self awareness, vanity, screen watching, chattering, sweating, showing off. Ugh. No thanks.

I go to a boxing gym sometimes because there is no messing about and people are there to train.

I bought some basic gym and weights equipment and I trail run and do various strength training. There's a few of us that do decent 20 mile walks together regularly too. I save £40 a month, I train outdoors and in and am in just as good shape as when I was a gym member, if not better as I enjoy it a lot more.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
My Gym is fairly small so it only has 1 set of free weights - so its more than annoying one 1 person takes 3 sets of them to do supersets whilst not letting you jump in...

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak
Anyone who turns up and works out in their dirty work clothes dropping paint, plaster and other muck around the place as they go...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
People that don't exercise hard enough ..... its normally fatties, half heartedly going through the motions on a cross trainer .........at the same time updating facebook that they are at the gym.

Poor form when lifting ,............... the internet is full of instructions how to lift so why you swinging your whole body like that . Lift a lower weight and get some form pal !

Instagram posers / mirror worshippers

Bench hoggers

Phones generally . . . get working out , its only 1 hour of your time !

Naked chatters

Kids

Selfie takers

Singers/ whistlers in the changing rooms

Branching this out to swimming ............

Slow swimmers ........ get the hell out the way

Middle lane hoggers

Chatters at the end of lanes

Kids

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Anyone who turns up and works out in their dirty work clothes dropping paint, plaster and other muck around the place as they go...

bad but the other end of the scale is those who dress up to go to the gym , all the gear often no idea.

Accepted if the bird is fit only

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
People doing bicep curls in the squat rack.

I hate that.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
When the staff "don't have any weights that go higher". It's embarrassing for them and means I can't REALLY let loose on the gun show.

When people CONTINUOUSLY interrupt my routine to ask me how I'm so strong

When the shower cubicles aren't wide enough for my shoulders to fit in

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
Bloke at my gym drys his nuts and feet with a hair dryer whilst stark bollock naked.

I mean who drys their feet with a hair dryer.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bloke at my gym drys his nuts and feet with a hair dryer whilst stark bollock naked.

Almost as bad as the bloke at Withdean gym who does stretches in the sauna while wearing a full stinky-sweat-drenched tracksuit. Not sure in which country that is considered the thing to do. Albania maybe?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Former divisional CEO at the bank I used to work at did this (nuts)...........at least had the decency to stick the hair dryer under a towel around his waist though. :lol::lol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am finding this thread much more amusing if I read all of these posts with the voice of Ron Burgandy

https://youtu.be/rVm-wrZG5qY
"One thousand one, one thousand two..." :lol:

There's an old friendly guy at the gym who did that when he saw me (although he said 99, 100). He then told me I'd need to lighten the weight if I wanted to lift it, and went on to explain he wants to be massive so he scares the shit out of children :lol:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Yup. People using the weights in front of the rack so no one else can get to them and general standing in the way does my head in.

I have a little sympathy for those who look like they are using their phone doing nothing, many are recording their workout on their phone and it gives a countdown timer to the next set of reps.

Exactly this. As an ectomorph, I often need to wait a couple of minutes between sets, especially on compound movements, so I spend time on my phone with a countdown in the background whilst also recording what I'm doing.

To be honest, my biggest gripe is people not sharing equipment where it's possible. And on top of that, people who look down on others or make comments about others being in the gym just because they're not in the best shape; that is the point in them being there in the first place after all.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Been a member of many different gyms since 1996 (when i was at college) and nothing pisses me off more than:

1) People sitting on equipment looking at their phone. Then when you politely walk over and ask them how long they have left they either act shocked you've asked them or reply “only another 3 sets left” .... ffs you have already taken 30 mins for 2 sets

2) People who do not put the weights back. Even more annoying are the people who take the weights to the other end of the gym leaving you to go on a wild goose chase around the whole dam gym.

These negatives do get balanced out by the hotties squatting in yoga pants

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here