Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Berlin advice

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Myself and fellow Seagull Over Berlin [MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION] are not going to the game so will also be in Berlin looking for somewhere to watch it. Keep an eye on your private messages nearer the time and I’ll let you know the options.

If it on the beeb, I know a private gin place just off Invalidenstrasse...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Great city. Tegel is a bit more of a pain than Schonefeld, which has it's own rail line. You can get a bus from Tegel in to the city, there is an express with less stops that took about half hour/40 mins when we were last there; I suspect the sow bus would be painful.

Depending on how much tourism you are up for you can purchae a Berlin card, which includes transport for however many days you buy it for. There are different levels with either discounts or free entry to attractions and the most expensive one will get you in to all the museums on museum island. Loads to do, Nazi bunkers, Spy museum, river boat trip, life in East Germany museum, Parliament visit (book in advance - it is free) with access to the roof for excellent city views. Free walking tours go from just outside Starbucks near the Brandenburg gates (you tip at the end if you enjoy) which will give you a good idea of surroundings and some historical background.

Some great pubs, both traditional German ones with large food portions (if meat eater then get on the pork knuckle) & modern craft beer style ones.

We've been 4 times in the last decade and we're not bored yet. Enjoy.

I find flying in Schnofeld a pain.

On a Monday evening I often get the flight that lands at Tegel at 9pm. Best I have managed us 0940 from plane door opening to my front door.

€22 in a cab.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
All of this Berlin talk is wetting my appetite for the much awaited Deutschland 83 sequel Deutschland 86 coming to C4 soon!!!

When? the first series was brilliant

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Great city. Tegel is a bit more of a pain than Schonefeld, which has it's own rail line. You can get a bus from Tegel in to the city, there is an express with less stops that took about half hour/40 mins when we were last there; I suspect the sow bus would be painful.

Next time you arrive in Tegel get any bus and jump off at the first bahn station, either Kurt-Schumacher Platz (bus 128) or Beusselstrasse (TXL). Both are 5 minutes away. Then you’re on the trains. This will be considerably quicker.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Couple of years back I got the inaugural Norwegian Air flight from Gatwick to Schönefeld. Reckoned there'd be some free stuff going to mark the occasion. Hopes dashed on the flight, not a snifter of free champagne to be had. Then when we landed I spotted some Norwegian hostie/model types approaching our plane. Result! thinks I, as I watch them set up a PL-style archway and start to open a big box. I could almost TASTE that bubbly! Practically ran down the steps and sprinted towards the goodies on offer. Imagine my surprise, dear reader, on being presented not with a celebratory glass of the finest vintage champagne, but with with a small stuffed teddy called BER. Sake! :angry:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
They ran a trailer the other night so would think in March, the soundtrack was superb on 83.

That is brilliant news, really was an excellent series - cheers

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
That is brilliant news, really was an excellent series - cheers[/Deutschland ’86 recently come out in Germany and US (on Sundance TV) but will come to the UK like its predecessor Deutschland ’83 did?

The answer is yes, it will be and we think it will be in the early part of 2019 and again it will be on Channel 4’s Walther Presents again.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham

Depending on how much tourism you are up for you can purchae a Berlin card, which includes transport for however many days you buy it for. There are different levels with either discounts or free entry to attractions and the most expensive one will get you in to all the museums on museum island. Loads to do, Nazi bunkers, Spy museum, river boat trip, life in East Germany museum, Parliament visit (book in advance - it is free) with access to the roof for excellent city views. Free walking tours go from just outside Starbucks near the Brandenburg gates (you tip at the end if you enjoy) which will give you a good idea of surroundings and some historical background.

Some great pubs, both traditional German ones with large food portions (if meat eater then get on the pork knuckle) & modern craft beer style ones.

We've been 4 times in the last decade and we're not bored yet. Enjoy.

Bus from Tegel was fine for us,but we were staying at The Ibis opposite the main Train Station . Stopped right outside.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
That is brilliant news, really was an excellent series - cheers[/Deutschland ’86 recently come out in Germany and US (on Sundance TV) but will come to the UK like its predecessor Deutschland ’83 did?

The answer is yes, it will be and we think it will be in the early part of 2019 and again it will be on Channel 4’s Walther Presents again.

Begins 8th March on More 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This seems like an opportune thread to ask, me, [MENTION=1874]Falmer Flutter ©[/MENTION] , and a few other Albion are going to be in going to be in Berlin during the Millwall Cup game, any suggestions on where to watch? Ideally they'd have a lovely beer selection. For example, would the Stone Brewery pubs show an English game? Thanks in advance

Hello again. When I was in the Stone Brewery Tap (the bar in Prenzlauer Berg ) I did ask, as they have a tv, but was told they only ever use it for “events” like the World Cup and the Super Bowl. As I have previously posted in other threads I’m not aware of any decent bars which routinely show English games; outside of expat pubs there’s little interest in the Premier League. And none of the craft bars (The Muted Horn, Protokol, Biererei, Strassenbrau, BRLO, Hopfenreich, Kaschk, Brewdog, Mikkeller) have any screens. I’m sure Belushis will show it; they’re showing the Saturday FA Cup games but their “what’s on” hasn’t been updated for the Sunday yet. https://www.belushis.com/bookings/sports-packages I’m also following up with The Lire but the game clashes with the Liverpool fixture and this pub has a huge Liverpool customer base; ie it’s unlikely. Whilst I don’t go to The Lire routinely, is okay for an expat Irish pub and I have watched a few Albion games there. I don’t like Belushis though, it’s like the worst of West Street.

I’ll follow up if I hear any more.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Hello again. When I was in the Stone Brewery Tap (the bar in Prenzlauer Berg ) I did ask, as they have a tv, but was told they only ever use it for “events” like the World Cup and the Super Bowl. As I have previously posted in other threads I’m not aware of any decent bars which routinely show English games; outside of expat pubs there’s little interest in the Premier League. And none of the craft bars (The Muted Horn, Protokol, Biererei, Strassenbrau, BRLO, Hopfenreich, Kaschk, Brewdog, Mikkeller) have any screens. I’m sure Belushis will show it; they’re showing the Saturday FA Cup games but their “what’s on” hasn’t been updated for the Sunday yet. https://www.belushis.com/bookings/sports-packages I’m also following up with The Lire but the game clashes with the Liverpool fixture and this pub has a huge Liverpool customer base; ie it’s unlikely. Whilst I don’t go to The Lire routinely, is okay for an expat Irish pub and I have watched a few Albion games there. I don’t like Belushis though, it’s like the worst of West Street.

I’ll follow up if I hear any more.

Many thanks for your help, and that great list of pubs that we could utilise regardless of the football. It could be that we end up sucking it up in Belushi's, last year coincidentally we were away for the Man Utd FA Cup game and ended up in the worst pub in Munich watching it, surrounded by plastic Mancs. Still, I'm sure we'll get to a decent pub afterwards, hopefully with the right result

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Many thanks for your help, and that great list of pubs that we could utilise regardless of the football. It could be that we end up sucking it up in Belushi's, last year coincidentally we were away for the Man Utd FA Cup game and ended up in the worst pub in Munich watching it, surrounded by plastic Mancs. Still, I'm sure we'll get to a decent pub afterwards, hopefully with the right result

A pleasure. Also, I presume you guys are aware of the Stone Brewery itself? This is at 10 min walk from Atillastrasse but it’s well worth the trek if you’re into craft beer. It’s an incredible building/complex.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
A pleasure. Also, I presume you guys are aware of the Stone Brewery itself? This is at 10 min walk from Atillastrasse but it’s well worth the trek if you’re into craft beer. It’s an incredible building/complex.

I know people are keen to get to the Bistro and Gardens place, possibly because we think of our stomachs much more these days... probably go there on Saturday, and then we have tickets for Hertha v Dortmund, so it's shaping up for a great weekend!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
For the umpteenth time, the wonderful Rick Stein's Long Weekends tv series is being repeated on one of the satellite channels on Sunday evenings. Last night they showed the Berlin episode.

I found it facinating, Berlin seem s to be quite niche, and not typical of the rest of Germany at all. As Rick explained, much of the 'local' food on offer at the many restaurants, was in fact Bavarian cuisine, as opposed to German. Do you agree with him Herr T?

One of the dishes l was especially intrigued by was Konigsberger Klopse, veal meatballs in a creamy caper sauce. Something of a Berlin speciality l believe.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here