Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Rather spend £ 10m on Ashley Barnes than over £30m on the two forwards from the Dutch league

He is also the type of 110% effort player we need if we are to consolidate in the Prem for our first four years

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
These two, Wood and Barnes, are charlatans, they are being carried by a great Burnley team. They have no place in the EPL, league one at best

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
These two, Wood and Barnes, are charlatans, they are being carried by a great Burnley team. They have no place in the EPL, league one at best

See Ashley was MOM, but that was probably a mixture of a lucky shin and that great Burnley team around him :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Have Burnley improved them, how much do we improve players?

In Barnes case, I'm not sure they have significantly. He was young when he was with us, and he is now far more experienced and in his peak years, but he certainly isn't unrecognisable from the player who did so well for us. With Wood, it's harder to say as he was a lot younger when he was with us, and I certainly don't remember him being the physical monster he is today.

(And we didn't 'let Barnes go', he simply got a much better offer. Whether we should have offered more is another question).

They are the only two I can think of in recent years who have gone on to be better after leaving us. (Prompt someone really obvious that I've forgotten)

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Wood always had potential when he was with us. I wish we had signed him and kept Barnes. A couple of grafters who score goals and would be the ideal strike force for a team in our position. Shoulda coulda woulda. Shame because, Murray apart, our forwards haven’t set the world alight and I am not convinced they will.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
(And we didn't 'let Barnes go', he simply got a much better offer. Whether we should have offered more is another question).

)

If we didn’t offer enough ‘we let him go’, it’s not like he wasn’t playing for us at the time.

Same with Murray......

Yes, I am bitter about it [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Nice to see that AB has made a good living out of the PL. He was impressive from the word go when he joined us as a young player, vital contributions in our L1 Champions season, tenacious, adaptable across the forwards, a manager’s dream.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's 0-0 in the cup final and our striker has been put clear with only the keeper to beat. Who would you want it to be Barnes or Locadia? Ashley for me.

We would be in deep shit if we play Barnes in the Cup Final

He wouldn’t be eligible :jester:

For that reason it’s Locadia for me

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here