Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Catering at the Amex, has it improved?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I always use this example on these threads but I'm still staggered it's not the norm.

At Twickenham, the pub we normally frequent before a game on a matchday has the simple but speedy system.

LOADS of pre poured pints in the background. Constantly being poured by someone. That's their sole job.
People on the till/bar taking the order and taking the payment. That's their job.
People hearing the order and grabbing the pre-poured drinks (which aren't old as they are constantly being made) and bringing them to the front. Again, their only job.

Works wonders.

Sure, people will argue that more staff costs more but I would counter-argue that 1 persons hourly wage is comfortably delivering MANY more items served in the same time.

Exactly....

css.jpg

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
In answer to the OP's original question - Catering at the Amex, has it improved? - No. It's just factored in now and accepted more when you use the catering facilities or avoided altogether as a result.

In The West Upper I've seen it all, from me being asked for ID as a 38 year old a couple of years back by an 18 year old girl, to being held up behind someone refused service for attempting to purchase something with a Scottish banknote and refused again when offering to use Bank of England notes instead until a supervisor was called. I always try to join a queue being served by someone I recognise previously as knowing what they're doing and also try to avoid entering queues with known, or suspected, hot drinks consumers in them ahead of me.

As for the gripes about prices - take it or leave it.

As for the gripes about Harvey's - it's the biggest brewer in Sussex located just up the road from the stadium. It's not my favourite bitter either, but it isn't going to be a Sussex micro brewery beer on sale at a 30,000 football stadium.

As for the gripes about the quality/temperature/softness of pies and burgers - It's not a la-di-da gastro pub serving gourmet organic burgers, served with fair trade Western Cape Shiraz in sustainable eco bottles etc - it's an English football ground serving fast food.

Nail on head.

Two things about the hot drink drinkers:-

1. It always seems like a last minute decision and taken at Kerry Mayo type pace. Followed by general dithering over which one to have.

2. It always comes as a surprise to the bar staff and they look at the hot water tap and cup like they belong in the medieval zone of the Crystal Maze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Nail on head.

Two things about the hot drink drinkers:-

1. It always seems like a last minute decision and taken at Kerry Mayo type pace. Followed by general dithering over which one to have.

2. It always comes as a surprise to the bar staff and they look at the hot water tap and cup like they belong in the medieval zone of the Crystal Maze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
A very good point actually, do these staff get much training? very little would be my guess. After all many of them are uni students, and hardly look upon a job like that as a career opportunity, just awa way of generating a bit of cash to help with their social life..

When would Sodexo get the chance to train them anyway? they are only there on a match day, so on the job training is the only way.

I'm actually beginning to feel quite sorry for them now! :kiss:

The fact is that they are not trained outside of hours, so to speak, as that would cost the company money and so they are thrown in at the deep end. on the day. Most are Uni students, there to earn a few bob, and generally do their best with a friendly demeanour.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I always use this example on these threads but I'm still staggered it's not the norm.

At Twickenham, the pub we normally frequent before a game on a matchday has the simple but speedy system.

LOADS of pre poured pints in the background. Constantly being poured by someone. That's their sole job.
People on the till/bar taking the order and taking the payment. That's their job.
People hearing the order and grabbing the pre-poured drinks (which aren't old as they are constantly being made) and bringing them to the front. Again, their only job.

Works wonders.

Sure, people will argue that more staff costs more but I would counter-argue that 1 persons hourly wage is comfortably delivering MANY more items served in the same time.

Goodwood racecourse used to have a machine where you loaded a tray with I think 2 dozen pint glasses, pressed a button, and it poured 2 dozen pints of lager simultaneously. Seemed to work pretty well.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Running a fast flowing bar isn't exactly rocket science. One person could train the whole ground in an hour or less. . . .

And Goodwood are experts at getting lots of money out of people quickly!

Lush

Mods' Pet
I get to the WSL early (no queues). I get the Early Bird Offer. The students serving are efficient and friendly. The coffee is hot and good. The pies are tasty. For stadium catering I still think it's pretty good.

The only small complaint I have is that some people don't seem to have noticed that there's now a bin next to the condiments, so you don't need to leave your milk tubes/mustard wrappers/wooden stirry sticks in a pile on the shelf.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here