Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anyone else thinking about mowing the lawn?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Talking of lawns, why do they always mow the pitch immediately after games??

I think it is more a case of hoovering up loose material as a result of the game rather than a cut. You're immediately looking to allow new replacement shoots to come through.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Did it last week. Mental.

This.

Just stunning today and nice to get ahead with a few garden jobs.

GOOD: Just seen a pair of tits (long tailed variety) in my garden
BAD: My shed has been taken over by an army of spiders

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just seen two admirals dancing around the garden and the bees are out.

This can’t end well.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Took this shot this morning at 7am on Brighton beach. Lovely for February! 00000IMG_00000_BURST20190223072021433_COVER-EFFECTS.jpeg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Sadly, I'm at that age where I am genuinely interested what a professional needs by way of mowers :down:

I'm guessing a petrol cylinder for those fine lawns and a big old rotary (probably petrol again), but what others do you use ?

Down here I literally DREAM of a cylinder mower, heathen uneducated ******* gardeners.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Went for a jog this morning....gloves and baselayer had to come off after about a mile, ended up sweating buckets, was 15.5 degrees when I got home. Ran past a local pub about 11.30, beer garden was full of people having coffee, kids playing etc. Bizarre for February.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Not yet but am thinking about when I will pop another coat of preservative/paint onto our rather long, 6 foot high fence. Takes a good couple of full days of painting to do one coat on it - and it is looking very nice and sunny on Tuesday/Wednesday this coming week, with the highest temperatures, so might be a good time to do it! Got some work I need to be doing today (instead of arsing around on NSC, tbh) but maybe will start it tomorrow. The grass can wait!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you do just do a Barber cut (take the top off)...check what setting you left the mower on.

Cleaned and serviced my four mowers during the week as its all systems go week Monday
**** me, how big is your garden?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
My lawn looked awful last year; dead patches all over it. Only thing I can put it down to is the previous owners had dogs, so that was their toilet.
Any tips on how to bring these patches back to life?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
My lawn looked awful last year; dead patches all over it. Only thing I can put it down to is the previous owners had dogs, so that was their toilet.
Any tips on how to bring these patches back to life?

A friend of mine's son-in-law ruined his lawn by applying "Weed & Feed" without reading the instructions. He ran out of the stuff, went and bought some more and put that on too. His lawn looked similar to how you describe yours. It was full of bare patches where he had over-dosed it, which is exactly what happens when dog bitches urinate on grass. Basically, fertilizer is piss!
We forked over the dead patches to the depth of an inch or two, spread grass seed over it and diggled it in with the side of a trowel. Grass seed needs to be worked in to just under the surface of the soil.
Three weeks later, you couldn't tell the lawn was a mess previously.
It may get a little colder in the next few weeks, but sowing grass seed now isn't a bad idea. There is a saying regarding grass seed - "Better in the ground than in the bag."
As Lammie said earlier, just lightly "tip" the grass with your mower. DON'T shave it off. A lot of people think that the more they shave off their lawn, the better. NO! It's what it looks like when you've finished, not how much clippings you can take off.
Then of course, as I've mentioned on here before, if you don't need your lawn for anything special, plant it up! I have just completed a project of this nature for a friend. I'll post pictures of before and after when it starts performing in the summer.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
No football. Weirdly warm for February. Shall I?!

The weather is screwed.

Me and your silly ideas.:lolol:

Anyway, my mountain is mowed. Garden looks great, Brownie points in the bag and the wife is out shopping for a nice bottle of Bourbon for me. I fancy a bit of diet coke and ice in it tonight for a change, but that's just the kind of crazy, unpredictable guy I am. :whisky:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here