Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Who at Wembley July 06

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Deep Purple, Yes, Wishbone Ash.......... How many original band members entitle you to keep the group name.

I don't think you can specify a number to fit all bands. Some of them, after all, have chopped and changed their line-up regularly over the years. According to Wiki, for example, Deep Purple have had fourteen members, past and present, and Wishbone Ash 19. I think it's just down to a gut feeling in each individual case.

In the case of The Who, Moon and Entwistle were such unique geniuses that it was never going to be the same without them. Even The Who with Kenny or Zak on drums wasn't quite right; missing Entwistle too and it's just not the real deal. Daltrey and Townshend (performing under the banner of 'Daltrey and Townshend') can still put on a terrific show, I've no doubt. But not as The Who. Not for me, that is.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Saw them at the old Valley in Charlton in 1974. Now that was a gig...

Me too. Alex Harvey Band and 60,000 singing along to Delilah in the pouring rain.

One overriding memory was of some "fans" scaling the huge floodlight pylons and hanging upside down by their feet and people below fearing for their safety in case of a fall.

Edit: it was the 76 gig I was at.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Saw them on Hastings Pier back in the day...Townsend had just discovered the joys of feedback caused by smashing his guitar all over the place - now that WAS a gig too!

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Me too. Alex Harvey Band and 60,000 singing along to Delilah in the pouring rain.

One overriding memory was of some "fans" scaling the huge floodlight pylons and hanging upside down by their feet and people below fearing for their safety in case of a fall.

Went to both Charlton events 74 beautiful sunny day, 76 pissed down, seen them many times but those two really stick in my mind

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I went to gigs in the 80’s, and wonder if some later hearing loss was caused by that.

Pardon?

Oh yes. I have that problem, too.

Saw The Who at Wembley Arena back in the 80s, supported by Q-Tips (Paul Young on vocals). One of the best gigs I’ve seen as both bands were brilliant. I seem to remember standing on the seats in the stalls throughout, too.

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis
I saw the Who in the early days, just as their first hit was climbing the charts. It was in Hassocks at 'The Downs Hotel' and I remember Keith Moon spending most of the time pre performance knocking back double whiskys at the bar. The place was packed and they were immense..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Deep Purple, Yes, Wishbone Ash.......... How many original band members entitle you to keep the group name.

It’s the ticket prices for yesterday’s bands with no credible releases in decades and half the band missing that makes me shake my head in disbelief that people are willing to pay top dollar.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Yes, the 74 one was a beautiful sunny day (in my memory anyway...) and the support included Bad Company, Lou Read, Humble Pie and Maggie Bell

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here