Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Old people squabbling

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I'm 73 in a couple of months. My knee hurts, I have a stone in my bladder and one each in my kidneys, which the NHS seem to regularly loose paper work, it's been more than four months now. My pacemaker top setting is 150 bpm so any fast limping and I appear to be out of breath and I am invisible to most people under forty. I can't do much that I could even ten years ago, of course I'm f****** angry. Last Saturday after the match waiting for the rain to stop and the queue for the buses to go away, I limped up the road and stepped straight on. All the seats were taken, standing doesn't worry me, but then a chap maybe forty or fifty, I don't like to insult him , got up and offered me his seat. I was so shocked I said thank you it's OK I'll stand. Thank you to whoever it was and is on here.
When I collected my thoughts , what sprung to mind was that I suppose I must look my age , which now days is not all that old. Still angry at the world though. Mostly I get apoplectic at older people , younger than me who say stuff like; I don't like computers, I won't even try. Would you just renew my insurance, order my train tickets etc. B******S.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
That is not a Baby Boomer. The Baby Boom came when the men returned from war, so 1946-1950.

Nowhere near so narrow according to Wiki:

“Baby boomers (also known as boomers) are the demographic cohort following the Silent Generation and preceding Generation X. There are varying timelines defining the start and the end of this cohort; demographers and researchers typically use starting birth years ranging from the early to mid-1940s and ending birth years ranging from 1960 to 1964.”

So Beach Hut is a baby boomer!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm 73 in a couple of months. My knee hurts, I have a stone in my bladder and one each in my kidneys, which the NHS seem to regularly loose paper work, it's been more than four months now. My pacemaker top setting is 150 bpm so any fast limping and I appear to be out of breath and I am invisible to most people under forty. I can't do much that I could even ten years ago, of course I'm f****** angry. Last Saturday after the match waiting for the rain to stop and the queue for the buses to go away, I limped up the road and stepped straight on. All the seats were taken, standing doesn't worry me, but then a chap maybe forty or fifty, I don't like to insult him , got up and offered me his seat. I was so shocked I said thank you it's OK I'll stand. Thank you to whoever it was and is on here.
When I collected my thoughts , what sprung to mind was that I suppose I must look my age , which now days is not all that old. Still angry at the world though. Mostly I get apoplectic at older people , younger than me who say stuff like; I don't like computers, I won't even try. Would you just renew my insurance, order my train tickets etc. B******S.

I am genuinely appalled at how OAPs are shoved past and 'overtaken' as people run for buses. FFS people, where's yer manners?! (probably never taught any). Should be some sort of priority given, I took an elderly friend in his wheelchair once and so many people just pushed past like he wasn't there. It was peeing down too, some people have no shame and we had to wait for another bus in the end. Saying that, on the train it was a different story - more like Moses and the red sea from fellow fans. It was the connection at Brighton that was the problem, full of foreign day trippers devoid of any manners to point guard had to haul people off and away from the doors to put ramp down. Don't get me started on taxi firms...

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
In my experience, arrogance, rudeness and grumpiness is not confined to the older generation. Much to do with parenting. Nice people are usually that way throughout their lifetimes, or until some form of dementia kicks in.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
My two pennies worth

1/ whenever I’ve given my seat up for an old boy or girl on the bus they tend to just shuffle into place without a thank you, nod of acknowledgement etc. I don’t expect it but it wouldn’t go a a miss.

2/ why oh why do I stand 10 people deep in a queue at the coop on a Saturday morning only to notice that the folk in front of me are all elderly? They’ve had all week to do their shopping!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Nowhere near so narrow according to Wiki:

“Baby boomers (also known as boomers) are the demographic cohort following the Silent Generation and preceding Generation X. There are varying timelines defining the start and the end of this cohort; demographers and researchers typically use starting birth years ranging from the early to mid-1940s and ending birth years ranging from 1960 to 1964.”

So Beach Hut is a baby boomer!

Blimey, that goes way over my head. I just know what I was told as a child, that there was a rise in the birthrate for 4-5 years because of the men returning.
Demographics are for intellectuals.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That is not a Baby Boomer. The Baby Boom came when the men returned from war, so 1946-1950.

Should have read post 40 as opposed to the just I know best attitude

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Blimey, that goes way over my head. I just know what I was told as a child, that there was a rise in the birthrate for 4-5 years because of the men returning.
Demographics are for intellectuals.

Should have read post 40 as opposed to the just I know best attitude

I repeat, that is what I was told as a child. I didn't say I knew best or have that attitude. It is the first I have heard of it.
People are so quick to jump on any post today.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I repeat, that is what I was told as a child. I didn't say I knew best or have that attitude. It is the first I have heard of it.
People are so quick to jump on any post today.

It should be re-named old person squabbling :lolol::lolol:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Walking with a stick
Kids on the bus don't offer a seat
I've just had a colonoscopy
Stand next to kids
Point arse in their face
Relax
Today was a good day (subject to test results)

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
If any miserable old gits are rude to you just make sure your response is LOUD and v-e-r-y s-l-o-w, as it really helps calm them down.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
A65657F9-CF53-4DAE-84BD-80B6493BC026.jpeg

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Being an OAP I have noticed the days of people giving up a seat on a bus for OAPs seem to have vanished and you rarely see anybody under 30 give up their seat as it is usually those in their 50s that do. What really gets me is a young mum in 30s with a couple of young children sitting in 3 seats and she not asking them to budge up using the line she has bought them a ticket.

Blimey I agree with Bens Grandad. I am 72 and unfortunatly not very mobile, I have to walk with a stick. The disabled seats on busses and trains are more often or not occupied by teenagers who will not move even if you ask them nicely,however people in their 40s-50s normallly give up their seat right away.Thats about all I moan about ( I hope ).

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Is there an increase of such? Or are you just witness to it more by being at work less in the daytime?

I say this as on buses on a Wednesday - my day off to be with Meade Jr - there tends to be a simmering quagmire of easily riled seniors. Last Wednesday, for instance, with sleeping Meade Jr in his buggy in the centre of the bus, an ancient fellow toddles onto the bus, with his 60-something helper behind him. The old chap finds a seat when 2 nice people stand up, but the helper chap is angry with a mature woman who didn't stand up in the first available seat. He keeps having a go at her until another 50-odd-year-old lady tells the helper to give it a rest. Shut up!! Shut up!!! the squat helper cries, in and around me, the missus, and Meade Jr. The lady responds with a If you were any younger i'd knock you out! Shut up!! Shut up!!! he says again. The bus pulls in and the lady says When you go home brush your teeth, cos your breath stinks! She's about to dismount, and the helper replies with a So does your fanny and arse!
Alright, it's Holloway Road, but is this normal behaviour for people of a certain age during the daytime?

Sounds like a promising opening scene for a new TV drama.:mad::eek:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Had a on old grump try and shove all my shopping to one side and barge in as I was packing my few items ona single, manned checkout at the co-op. He even gave it a “excuse me”!
I calmly moved his bag for life back into his shopping trolley and told himto have a little patience. He looked like I’d walked into his house on Christmas Day and pissed on the tree.

Let’s not forget, these are very rarely people who fought in the war anymore. That fantastic generation are in their 90’s and 100’s now. These are the entitled and ageing Baby Boomers. And by and large , they’re a bunch of impatient, demanding, ***** .

More or less agree with this, but Moi? Hey I'm 70 and not in the least bit grumpy; well, not very often in public! I do grump at the telly and some people's idiocy though.
My old man is almost 102 and he is really grumpy. I said to my wife that if I get anything like him, just take me to Switzerland!:clap:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here